Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

tunes and new flash???

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  BLACK_PSTROKE 
#1 ·
ive been reading lately in some posts that when your truck gets "FLASHED" at the dealer your strategy changes. im just wondering if this will affect my tunes or if i need to get them updated by eric before i can reload them???? or if everything will be fine

#2 ·
Yes if you get "flash" your strategy changes and you'll have to have your tunes updated. Also you will have to unlock your box from you truck cause if you don't when you load your new tune and then go back to stock it'll load back your old strategy. Sucks because everytime you get a flash you use one of your 5 unlocks...

#3 ·
#4 ·
so if say they only flash the ficm will i be ok.. reason i ask is im just getting out of the shop. headgaskets finally went:doh: is it pretty common for the dealership to flash after doing a job like this??
thanks for the input, and the link

#5 ·
i just found a post from eric a few years back he stated that the x3 will unlock itself if the strategy or vin is changed. so i shouldnt have anything to worry about..

#6 ·
I just recently got the new flash to VXCF9DA TQCK0CD. It is a prett good flash. I loaded my VXCF4 tune no problem. Seems to be running even better than VXCF4 on the VXCF4 flash, probably some FICM differences since theoreticaly the TCM and ECM are compeltely the same once re tuned with the sct and only the FICM stays the same. It cranks a little longer and the glow plugs don't stay on as long and set to stock it is down 3 pounds of boost but feels pretty responsive. I am gonna get a tune to match teh VXCF9 from Matt very soon.

#7 ·
your sayin you reloaded your old tunes with no problems after getting a flash at the dealer?? what are you running your tunes on X3 or livewire..

#9 ·
I asked this same thing the first time my truck was reflashed and Vivian from DJ's told me do not use any tune that doesn't match your strategy. She then went into all this technical stuff onto the reason why. All I needed to know what don't do it....

#13 ·
XCal2 has to be Unlocked by using SCT updater software...X3, SF3, and Livewire automatically unlock once you Return To Stock. It is hit and miss whether a previous strat code tune will work on a newer strat code....not advisable since some have resulted in a no-start condition.
i dont think im gonna take any chances either. unless they didnt flash.. ive got almost 2000 miles im gonna have to conquer by sunday. it will really suck bad pulling my 5th wheel stock, however it would suck even worse to mess up my truck and be down for another day or so. im already 3 days behind:doh::doh:
but thanks again for all the info guys:thumb:

#10 ·
XCal2 has to be Unlocked by using SCT updater software...X3, SF3, and Livewire automatically unlock once you Return To Stock. It is hit and miss whether a previous strat code tune will work on a newer strat code....not advisable since some have resulted in a no-start condition.

#12 ·
lol i do. i honestly dont think the headgaskets went. i think all it is was an injector problem. it would white smoke on a cold start till it warmed up. then it would run fine and not smoke. there was no oil/coolant mix, no puking that i could tell, and no major coolant loss:dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.