Canned SCT tunes........ - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wildfingas
Canned SCT tunes........

Antone experience fueling issues with the canned tunes. I have been tooling around with this issue on mine in the canned street file where it is calling for 4200 PSI and only getting 3200. Anyone have this issue with there canned tunes. I know, I know. Get custom files. Its on the back burner right now for money being tight so I make due with what I have.

I have had one experienced tuner say he recalled one truck he had where the file had to be tweaked and that was the only thing that would fix the problem because it was hitting the pop off point of the pump.

Any 2nd to this or theory killers or supporters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've been following your thread on the other board as well. My truck just started having a similar issues with custom tunes. My AE will be here in a couple of days so I can see what my readings are. It seems like Fuel Pressure in my case, but I could be way off base. I'm not going to change anything on my truck until I get the AE on it, so I can see if the changes I make have a difference or not. Please keep us posted on your progress
Old 02-02-2010, 11:02 AM

Well, for a tank of fuel cost you can purchase a tune. I would seriously think about giving Matt at Gearhead Automotive an email. You will probably allieviate a lot of frustration in the long run.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calkidd View Post
Well, for a tank of fuel cost you can purchase a tune. I would seriously think about giving Matt at Gearhead Automotive an email. You will probably allieviate a lot of frustration in the long run.
AGREED!

And the custom tunes will be better on your tranny. Trust me, your tranny will thank you
Old 02-02-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro350hydro View Post
AGREED!

And the custom tunes will be better on your tranny. Trust me, your tranny will thank you
Thank you guys. You have an amazing grasp for the completely obvious I do know this but like I said I cant do it right now. I know what it is going to cost me its just not a priority right now. I have little mouths to feed and keep warm and the money isn't there for it. If I know that it will fix my problem 100% then I am all for it. It is loosing fuel pressure for some reason when under load, like half to full throttle acceleration. Only with the tune does it do this. Not in stock form.

If anyone has had this issue with canned tunes your feedback is appreciated.
I am trying to narrow down whether its the tune or if something is on the brink of complete failure on the truck like the FPR. So far I have only had one person say they had this issue and had to tweak the tune and it fixed the problem.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:30 PM

I have run the canned tunes quite a bit and not seen any issue like this. The canned tunes are actually pretty good. I do know of a guy that had a similar problem. He had an HPOP on the way out on an 05 truck, no codes stock, problems on a tune. He had a screen/filter cleaned and it ran much better for about 1000 miles after. Then the HPOP failed. After the fact he was told the trash in the screen was from the HPOP. Not saying this is your problem but...
Old 02-03-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfingas View Post
It is loosing fuel pressure for some reason when under load, like half to full throttle acceleration. Only with the tune does it do this. Not in stock form.
When is the last time you replaced your fuel filters?
Old 02-03-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfingas View Post
Thank you guys. You have an amazing grasp for the completely obvious I do know this but like I said I cant do it right now. I know what it is going to cost me its just not a priority right now. I have little mouths to feed and keep warm and the money isn't there for it. If I know that it will fix my problem 100% then I am all for it. It is loosing fuel pressure for some reason when under load, like half to full throttle acceleration. Only with the tune does it do this. Not in stock form.

If anyone has had this issue with canned tunes your feedback is appreciated.
I am trying to narrow down whether its the tune or if something is on the brink of complete failure on the truck like the FPR. So far I have only had one person say they had this issue and had to tweak the tune and it fixed the problem.

Kinda like the ole "Retrace your steps mentality"...what has changed recently that was different before these symptoms began? Have you recently had your FICM or PCM flashed by the dealer? If so, your canned tunes may not like the new strategy (for the PCM obviously)...has the cooler temps come into play where your truck enjoyed warmer climate before...some trucks even leak where they have never before due to significant temp drops. What has changed...keep asking yourself that...I'll bet something comes to mind.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:49 AM

Moyock,

Well I think back to when I had the Edge about a year ago and it would run smoothly even in stage 5. I was running it stock for about 6 months in between the edge and the SCT because I sold the edge to get the SCT and there was a low income period.

Temp changes don't seem to bother it at all since even in warmer temps (70ish) it still did this.

I am leaning towards the canned tunes because it was fine before with the edge. 4200 commanded PSI does sound kinda high and a point was made that it could be hitting the pop off point on the pump.

It starts fine in all temps with exception to extreme cold where its a few seconds of a rough start but clears within 5 seconds or so. I don't see extended crank times when its cold or warm so I don't feel the HPOP is weak by any means.

I suppose I will have to break down and try the tune and hope it fixes it. I think you may be right with the strategy thing though. definitely something I did not think of.

PMing you for some questions on your rig.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr66 View Post
When is the last time you replaced your fuel filters?

I replaced them about 8-9k ago.next oil change coming up. will be changing them.

When I had it at the dealer for diag that they really didn't diag they checked filter and were still fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.