I'm scared...What did I do???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm scared...What did I do????

So I was driving on a single lane hwy going 60mpg when a guy turns out in front of me at an intersection....clearly seeing me coming. I have to slam on breaks not to hit him and then i decide to pass him. I romp on it and get WOT and after about 3 or 4 seconds my truck sputters and i loose all power
(not literally but i have no acceleration) and can't even pass this guy. I let off the gas and try to accelerate again and it does the same thing. It sound like it was farting....it chugged a bit and sputtered and chugged a bit and sputtered again. By now another vehicle is coming the other way and i hit my breaks to get behind the guy i originally tried to pass. I then try to accelerate again and the truck runs fine. I take it real easy for a little bit an check my insight for temps. Everything seemed fine. No CEL lights came on. about 2 miles later i get on the freeway and it accelerated fine, had all the power like normal. What happened? I checked under the hood when i got home and i noticed that there was residue from my degas bottle puking....didn't check my engine bay the day before so I'm not sure if it was already there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

FYI

Oh, I had a new EGR cooler, oil cooler, and ARPs put on about 3 weeks ago....put on about 1200 miles since.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks Everyone

Oh and I was driving on Eric's Extreme Street.

Last edited by fordstang93; 01-27-2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: SCT tune
Old 01-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
subscribed
Old 01-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had my truck do this once when I was racing a buddy from a stop light. I was boosting, getting ready to take off, and I did, but when it did I lost tons of power and it felt like stock. My speedo stopped working and I had no smoke coming out (black smoke I mean...). After about 2 min of driving it all went back to normal. I was told it was normal, the truck basically was trying to protect itself, it sensed boost being held too long. I was scared at first.

This happened to me while I was stopped a light, boosting though, not just driving, never had that happen..., but it sounds similar.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So ar ok.....

Took it to my Buddy/Ford Diesel Tech and told him about it. He threw his scanner and no codes. All pressures and temps seem fine. I'll just have to keep an eye on it. I thought i had thrown a rod or blew a gasket of some sort. It was just scary being at WOT, hearing here scream, and then having completely sh*! out while being at WOT.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

coolant residue still a concern

I'm still concerned about the new residue on the degas bottle. I cleaned it all off so I'll have to see it comes back......w/the Extreme street!!!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

May sound really stupid but where was your gas gauge? I had to slam brakes hard one time, truck sputtered and acted funny when I picked back up the throttle and I had to pull over and stop. Took me a couple min to realize I was low on fuel, slam on breaks and you take it away from the pick-up in the tank, then it runs out for a sec and comes back.

I could be wrong but that was my only logical conclusion when it happened to me.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

hmmm

I was thinking that....maybe i had picked up something from the fuel tank.
But your explanation sounds like a possibility....I was about 1/4 tank or a hair below.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdub707 View Post
I had my truck do this once when I was racing a buddy from a stop light. I was boosting, getting ready to take off, and I did, but when it did I lost tons of power and it felt like stock. My speedo stopped working and I had no smoke coming out (black smoke I mean...). After about 2 min of driving it all went back to normal. I was told it was normal, the truck basically was trying to protect itself, it sensed boost being held too long. I was scared at first.

This happened to me while I was stopped a light, boosting though, not just driving, never had that happen..., but it sounds similar.
had the EXACT same thing happen to me at the strip, posted a thread on it and most said it was normal, i put the truck in "shock". as hard as it sounds, i wouldnt worry about it!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ok

Okay...sounds good. Thanks guys, i feel better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.