At the risk of getting flamed... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 11:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
At the risk of getting flamed...

Ok. I used this site for info when I bought my truck in the spring. I used it when I did a few lipstick mods also. It has a wealth of info and I am extremely grateful that it even exists... Having said that, I'm in a position of needing some advice. I spent the last hour and a half searching and I have a half asses idea of what I need, but I'd like to run it by you guys and get your opinions.

-'06 completely stock (aside from a small lift, 35" rubber)

-I bought the truck and used it for a few months of rv'ing in the summer and it's sat in storage since.

-Just pulled it back out, as I am opting to use it for my work as opposed to the company truck. (Potential to make decent $$ as a tax free benefit)

-Usage will be 99% highway. I don't drive it around the city hardly at all.

-Looking only to maximize the earning potential by increasing fuel mileage. I know it's not easy to stay out of the fun pedal once it has a bit more snap but believe me I will be treating it as a money maker. As gay as it sounds, I will likely hardly even speed. I have other toys for that and I really am focusing on the health and fuel mileage of the truck. I don't want or need more power unless it is a necessary byproduct of increased fuel economy.

-It still has 10K left under warranty, but I am not concerned with that. I am willing to void the warranty.

-I'm looking for a concise list of mod's that will maximize the mileage while at the same time doing what I can to preserve the drive train. I know that is somewhat of an oxymoron, but I do understand that mod's will inevitably tax the system. I just want to do everything in my power to mitigate the wear.

-Not at all trying to come across as ****y or wealthy (I'm far from it), but I do want to make sure I use the best stuff available the first time. I'm not looking to cut any corners. Having said that I won't be pulling the heads for the way I plan to use this truck. I'll wait for them to let go on there own and then upgrade the hardware. I will have the money put aside for it, but I'm choosing to cross that bridge when I am pushed onto it. lol. Like I said, it will be babied and virtually all highway miles.

-I need advice regarding what mod's I should be considering for this. My hour or two of searching has told me that the SCT tuner will likely be my best choice. I'm assuming some form of EGR delete, some gauges (would prefer not to have pillar mounts). Would exhaust be necessary for a mileage oriented application? I have no problem paying for a custom tune if it is needed.

Thanks for taking the time to help answer what is probably the same set of questions you guys see here on a daily basis. Cheers. Kevin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 11:37 PM
back to business

Gauges first........ There are other opions besides the pillar mount analog style. Open up the exhaust (straight pipe stock or go after market). Then an SCT w/ some custom tunes (go custom FOR SURE)

EGR delete is more of a mod to prevent future problems, while I DO recommend it, you won't really see any immediate benifit from it (same with head studs )
Old 01-23-2010, 11:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
kevin,
WHat kind of MPG are you seeing now? there is only soo much you can do to it to get better mpg... your 35's are hurting you in that section... as far as MPG mods you can do i would start off with the cheaper ones like keep your tires aired up, change your filters, and keep the oil as clean as possible....

for mods you can buy i would go with a custom tuned SCT, gauges (you can do above mirror) and some kind of exhaust.... you wont need to delete the EGR if your not going to be hot rodding around... but if you did i would go with the full egr delete like FCDP delete.

if yoiu have any other questions please let me know

-Raul
Old 01-23-2010, 11:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Raul,

I'm seeing a pitiful 9.5-10.5 mpg right now (not hand calculated). I did just take it out of storage and I'm still burning off the stabilized summer fuel I had in it. Nor have I had the chance for any long highway runs. I want to say I was getting around 12-13 this summer when I had it out and about. A bunch less dragging the 10,000+ lb rv.

As far as the EGR, one of the first things I did do when I bought the truck used, was to pull it and shine it up as per instructions found here. I plan on repeating this regularly.

I'm on the tires/oil/filters already. Changing oil more often than is probably needed with a Rotella 0w40 synth for the Canadian winter.

Above the mirror for the gauges sounds great, I might have to rearrange some of the other stereo/alarm/command start crap that's up there.

If you get a minute, would you price me a package with the SCT with tune, gauges/sensors (wiring?), and a recommended exhaust? It will be shipped to Saskatchewan Canada (S7N4X7). Thanks.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:02 AM
back in the saddle

As far as custom SCT tuning goes the best fuel mileage will come from the hottest tunes if you can keep your foot out of it. I'd recommend running an Xstreme street file from IDP if you're not towing, and his aggressive tow tune if you do. A 4" exhaust and a set of gauges or an electronic gauge like the insight or quad commander would be on the list. An EGR delete is a great reliability mod I would consider even if you don't plan on studding the heads right away.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I run my truck for wook all the time with the mods in my sig and average 17-18.5 on the highway.
I put 37500 miles in 5 months last winter and those are the numbers I came up with most often
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.