Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Programmers and guages

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  mhatlen 
#1 ·
Hello again guys. Ive had this new to me 05 6.0 now for about 5 months and so far im loving it. 165,000 on the clock and has just been bulletproofed. When i purchased the truck it came with a super chips programmer which i leave set on the economy mode for now. My main reason for this post is to see what guage(s) you guys would reccomend running. As far as mods all i have done is the cat delete pipe but will eventually do a complete turbo back exhaust and intake.

#3 · (Edited)
Bulletproofed is such a loaded term on these forums what exactly did u do to it. All u say in the post is the cat delete pipe. Did u stud did u oring it did u do an egr delete or put a better egr cooler on did u do anything with the oil cooler. Such a vague term to use detail would be good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#4 ·
The ford dealership did the work and i purchased the truck after it was complete. I never did see a bill or anything on what all parts they replaced or what exactly they did but he told me they did put head studs in it and did the egr delete. Im not 100% sure of everything they did but they did call the local performance shop and asked them what all should be done if they were to do it and then ford did the work according to that. I do know that the total bill was arond 5500 bucks but like i said i didnt see a sevice invoice on what all parts they used.

#5 ·
Ok, so it sounds like you were studded and deleted.... Although a good step that is not really a bulletproof.

That said, and not to scare you, but they likely did not send those heads off to be checked or machined... so just keep that in mind as you are monitoring your truck.

Check out that monitoring link in my post.

#7 ·
Man the 6.0l can be a good motor I have one I maintain thats in a 450 and they drove it very little first five years. So at 45000 miles they started driving it and started blowing thru egr coolers. So I had to pull the heads and do head gaskets they wouldnt do studs but they let me do egr cooler delete and i left the egr valve in place and it now has almost 200,000 on it and ford decided the head gasket were bad because the degres bottle start leaking again. So not a bad run from 45000. Its all in how you take care of the motor.

#9 ·
They did the egr delete for sure because the egr valve is gone with a block off plate on it. But this is beside the point of the original post of what would be the best option for gauges to monitor this engine. I at least want egt's and boost is already on the dash so no need for that but for ficm voltage and all the other stuff would i be better off getting something like a scangaugeII or going with the monitor from edge?

#10 ·
CTS2 hands down the best for a monitor or Isspro or autometer for gauges

Also, ditch the Superchips before you eat your transmission (ignore if manual)

Reactions: drivininidaho
#11 ·
I personally like the monitors that dptuner sells but thats just me. Thats what im planning for my truck.

Reactions: mhatlen
#13 ·
Made the shifts vague and mushy, felt like it wasn't ever going to actually find that next gear, took off like a rocket when you mashed the pedal but shifted like crap

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

#15 ·
I am in the process of fixing up a 03 f-350 last week had the egr delete kit,new oil cooler put in, the blue spring kit, a air dog fuel system and some cleaning and repairs done on the turbo along with replacing 3 injectors.
the studs will have to wait for the money to catch up,lol
I am wanting to get a turner mainly for towing and economy modes, I also want to monitor boost, fuel pressure, alone with a piro for the gauges. can someone recommend a good tuner that would fit what I am looking for?

#16 ·
I just talked to Mike at 5 star tuning, one of the vendors here and want to give a big thumbs up to him, he was very informative and took the time to answer all the questions I ask and even a few that I failed to ask.
its a real pleasure talking to a salesman that actually knows what he is talking about, I will use this company first when needing something for my truck.

#19 ·
CST2 is a good setup for monitoring anything you could dream of. You can get add on systems to monitor fuel pressure EGT cooling system pressures or anything else.

As far as a performance tuner for your truck I am going to give you my opinion. If a guy has a 6.0 truck that has stock head bolts and stock exhaust and turbo I think a FICM Tuner is the best option. at that stage.

Now I would again go with PHP FICM Tuner which is the BEST one available and has 4 fuel injection tunes to choose from.
Economy Tune 20HP
Atlas40 Tune 40HP
Atlas80 Tune 80HP
Hercules Tune 100HP

Also installing a 4" exhaust system is a HP boosting upgrade along with lower EGT

I know that a Atlas 40 and 4" exhaust dyno's out at 375HP and 700 ft lbs torque. Which is a huge upgrade in itself.

If that is not enough I would do a light tune under 50HP. There is NO SUCH THING AS: head bolt safe tune !! Any tune is harder on the engine so be very cautious.

Good Luck on the truck, DP has Good stuff but I am FICM Tunes first and foremost.

Reactions: gearjammer-2000
#17 ·
I’ve got an SCT X4 and isspro gauges. I’ve done studs, egr delete, 4in exhaust, BPD oil cooler, blue spring, and probably some other stuff that I’m forgetting, but she runs like a sewing machine and pulls like a monster!

06 KR CCLB FX4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.