Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oil cooler woes!

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  piperca 
#1 ·
Last year I had an EGR cooler fail on me. The oil cooler was fine, but I was encouraged to swap it out with a new one at the same time as the EGR cooler was done, so I did. At the time, I thought about going the BPD route, but, with input from the mechanic, I stayed with the stock setup with a BPD EGR cooler installed. The mechanic remarked on how clean my cooling system was and thought it was prudent to stay stock to save a few dollars.

Well, fast forward to now and my deltas are rising by the week. I'm currently at a 12 degree split at 75 on the freeway, without a load. I opened the degas bottle and noticed the coolant is dark brown. Also, my coolant filter is completely clogged and is cool to the touch after driving for hours.

The good news is the mechanic has offered to warranty the work, which I'm very happy about. He thinks the system should not have been flushed with VC-9, since it was so clean to begin with. He feels the flush initiated the issue I am now having. I tend to agree with him.

He's offered to install a BPD kit of my choice, if I provide him with the kit; no additional labor charge. So, I need some help in making the right decision.

I am looking at going with the standard cooler with factory oil filter. Partly because of cost, but also because of oil temperatures. I have read the HD cooler tends to keep the oil pretty cool.

I live in Orange County, California, so it doesn't get too cold, but I do like to visit the mountains with my family and we always take the truck. I don't do a whole lot of towing, mostly pulling my 12K lbs boat/trailer rig to and from the launch ramp, which is less than a mile. When I tow it on the road, it's normally not more than 20 miles or so. We are thinking about getting a small travel trailer at some point, but nothing huge. Obviously, I'll be towing longer during a trip with the travel trailer.

Anyway, does anyone have any input on this? I'm looking for real life experience from those who have a BPD cooler installed. Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
I love my BPD oil cooler with stock filter! I waited for them to do that before buying the setup. BPD FTW!!

Reactions: piperca
#3 ·
I have the HD air to oil cooler with the cold weather kit and in the summer it's fine unloaded EOT around 190-200F but in the Houston winter my oil will never heat up. If I get anything for a future truck it will be the relocation kit and last I checked there was a discount for forum members I'm sure someone here knows the code.

#6 ·
I have the factory filter kit with hd cooler, and my truck keeps near perfect temps all the time.
I suggest you give bpd a call and let them know all your plans and concerns, they will give you a no bs feedback, and let you know what kit will work best for you....not just what kit will make them the most money like a lot of company's would.

#9 ·
There's pros and cons to both setups, but with the ease of backflushing and the ability to filter the coolant prior to it hitting the oil cooler, my choice was the OEM relocate kit too. Theoretically, I shouldn't ever have to replace it due to clogging, even though it will be an easy fix if I do. You do need a full flow filter though. I haven't actually plumbed mine in yet since I've only driven it a few miles since installing the kit because of a random leak I can't seem to pinpoint for certain without tearing back into it.

#10 ·
Well, it's HD with remote filter, per BPD. Does anyone run the tall version? The shop that's doing the work is recommending the tall HD. I'm just a little concerned about not being able to install the cold weather option in the future. Is there a way to assist in warming up without it? I was also advised to do the water pump at the same time.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I'm just a little concerned about not being able to install the cold weather option in the future. Is there a way to assist in warming up without it?
Winter front or put a piece of cardboard in front of the cooler.

#14 ·
Just got the truck back from the shop. She runs perfect!

New BPD oil cooler, HD, with remote filter and BPD water pump. They installed the HD fan clutch, upper alternator, serpentine belts, fuel filters, batteries and replaced the A/C condenser and associated parts to fix my A/C problems. Topped it off with a fresh oil change with Archoil. Wasn't cheap, but it's done and behind me. The shop was excellent to deal with ... true professionals! Anyone in So. Cal. should give them a shout ... "Domestic Diesel" in Chino. Tell them a happy customer referred you!

Deltas (not that it makes much difference): 188-190 EOT and 193-195 ECT (75 mph on freeway). A slight increase in both when pulling hills, but not worth mentioning. When I dropped her off, she had a 19 degree spread.

Reactions: Evil Eye
#15 ·
I'm noticing a slight sluggishness in starting during cold starts. It feels like I have to keep the key on for a second longer for the truck to start. I experienced a couple of times where I thought the engine had caught, but it immediately died when I came off the key. If I give it a second or so more, the engine catches. Warm starts are not a problem at all. This has only started since the work has been completed. Any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.