Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Streetable build that can still tow a bit?

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  cRaZy8 
#1 ·
Ok, so let me start with I have just enough knowledge to be really dangerous. So as this story goes handed 4k to a "mechanic" to start the "bullet proofing" and some minor upgrades. 2 months later I still didn't have my truck. By this point I had handed him another 400 for supposed parts. So now my truck sits in my yard because it wasn't going to end well when I went to pick up my truck on the day he promised for the 6th time it would be done . I had cash in had to finish paying him for the work. I showed up to no one there, truck unlocked, unfinished and parts I paid for nowhere to be found. The story goes on but need to move forward. I am very mechanically inclined just have no time as I your for a living but now I want to finish it myselfsooo...at this point have a 03 X with ARP studs, brand new heads installed and I'm looking for a direction for injector and turbo combo knowing that an air dog will be getting installed along with sump,coolant filter, 4inch turbo back exhaust, sct livewire, 6.4 banjo bolts, egr delete and new oil cooler. So here is where I ask that you attempt to lead me in a direction to having some really good power to have a bit of fun with but still able to tow a smaller toy hauler with 4 or 5 dirt bikes in it if that is possible. I would give a weight but haven't purchased said you hauler yet. If towing is the issue let me know as we will go from there. Hope I gave enough info to make it a bit easier to answer my question.

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#4 ·
With a little more information we can give you a good idea of an injector/turbo combination.

For guys looking for a great street truck, its really hard - in my mind - to beat the investment of a 68mm class VGT (like a KC turbos Stage 3) matched with 190cc-205cc/30% nozzles. Where that might be a little laggy off the line, a 64mm class VGT (KC turbos Stage 2) is a great option. If you don't need the larger nozzles, 175-190cc with stock tips will still put you in the low 500s with the larger turbo.

I'd read through the build thread in my sig, though my build is focused on towing heavier than you would intend.

#5 ·
TO me a real good setup right now is a 205/30 injector paired with a stg 2 turbo. I think the hot setup is the KC stg2r dual ball bearing turbo. Awesome power and dont have to rev it to high to get it to spool when towing. You dont have to glue your eyes to the gauges that way. I constantly have to watch my egts's. From both my 190/75's and stg 2.5 turbo.

#7 ·
Even big builds can still tow... as long as you know what you are doing. The thing a lot of people don't realize is that as you bump up in turbo/injector size, you will be moving your power band UP in the rpms. So the truck will run less efficient at 1800rpms and more efficient at 2500 rpms with a bigger turbo/injectors.. So the main reason bigger builds tend to struggle a little more is that they are used to towing at 1800rpms and don't like to have to downshift.

With that said... this is what I recommend for a hot street truck that will still tow max weight with no issues.

190/30 or 175/30 with KC stage 2 or stage 2r turbo (for non-vgt guys I would do 362 or 363). That should put you around 525-600hp on a race tune, while having a hefty 350-400hp tow tune that still tows max weight.

Adding any of the following will help the truck to run cooler, cleaner, and spool faster
No Limit Cold Air Filter
Odwage stage 3r intake
CSF 6028 intercooler
zoodad mod

As for fuel. Skip the 6.4 banjos. Get the new air dog 4g with a good regulated return

#8 ·
Spot on as in reference to the the power band moving up in RPM.

I run an S362sxe and 175/30s.
I tow between 4k-12k multiple times per week, with a lot of 8k long distance towing during the summer.

The best thing I did for towing was adding the 4.30 gears (on 35" tires).
It puts my cruise rpm up to 2000-2200.
That alone dropped my EGT, and negates the need for a downshift (just unlock the converter with a brake tap up hill).
I can maintain 65-70mph with ease.

I also run the NL cold air intake, CSF intercooler, Odawgs S3R, and Mishimoto charge pipes.
Needless to say she runs very cool for a big truck while pulling decent size loads in summer heat.

With Nates White Noise and his Tow file, the truck is feels very light.
Super snappy, and spools quick, and pulls hard up top.
It smokes a little, until the turbo lights, and then its smooth up to 40-43psi, with no smoke.

I would highly recommend this setup for anyone wanting to tow often, and still have a fast truck.

Reactions: peixinho
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.