Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Let's talk Injectors

4K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  lenzhotrod 
#1 ·
After a rough relationship for the past year or so, we are moving forward with another engine for my truck.

Part of this build will require new injectors due to metal contamination in the oil. The trouble is, I'm not really sure what I need to be looking for. I know 155 are stock sticks, which is what we were using. I also know the % that is given is the % over the stick nozzle size. Other than that I'm not sure what I should know or pick. So please, take me to school.

Because I know it matters, I am looking to run a all around truck with a kick of performance. Occasionally I do tow medium loads on freeways, well under 10k, in the form of a boat and cargo trailer.

I will be running a hot cam, stage 2 with Duration 181 IN / 195 EX Valve Lift .412"IN / .400"EX. Stoke bore and stroke with Mahle pistons and rods. We are trying to save a Sinister Powermaxx stage 1 turbo. If it cannot be saved we will move up to stage 2. Sinister regulated return, AirDog 2 for fuel, Sinister hot and cold pipes, Sinister CAI, Sinister oil and colant filtration, ARP head and Main bolts, BPD front mounted oil cooler in lieu of the ford unit, and BPD EGR cooler.

Picture is of the old engine that has not bit the dust.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
155s are not stock sticks.

#3 ·
If I remember right I think 135s are stock.

#4 ·
I meant 135 and not 155. I got crossed while looking at a set of 155 injectors. Sorry about the confusion.

Reactions: Rattlesnake18
#5 ·
I'd probably go with 195 or 205/30's based on your build plans and towing. They can be tuned to tow your loads reasonably well.
I would stay away from Sinister for the most part though. Overpriced and increasingly poorer quality from what I'm reading. If you replace the turbo, look at KCTurbos. Especially if your looking at a Stage 2. The new BB turbo would be on the top of my list.

#6 ·
Is there a formula used to pick out the correct cc and nozzle size? Or this increase in cc is about this increase in hp/tq?

I have read and heard if you go too big on injectors it will hurt towing. At the same time some injectors can be used as a stand alone mod, you don't need a larger turbo or lift pump for 155.

Is there some resource available for more info?

#9 ·
Based on your original post, it looked like you were building a decent HP engine, but still wanted to tow. That's why I recommended what I did. You could drop to a 175 or even 155 cc injector, but if you keep stock nozzles you're not going to be doing much from the HP front and if go with a 30% nozzle on one of those, you may as well go on up to a 195 or 205 cc injector, since the larger nozzle can dump that much. I'm not even close to an expert on injectors (or anything really), that's just what a lot of reading and a little common sense tells me.

The guys that you need to talk to are:
@nighthawk285
@peixinho (Charlie at KC Turbos that I recommended earlier)
@toren302
@LoxDiesel
@kaya
@junior125

#11 ·
Do you have the specs on the cam, or a link to it? How much are you wanting for both?

#12 ·
No idea on the turbo, but Charlie can probably tell you.

#18 ·
Towing ability will come down to nozzle size... not CC. 30% nozzles are what I recommend for those looking to tow heavy and still want to make descent power.

205, 190, 175, and 155 is how much fuel your injectors "hold". This will change how much power you make at WOT on a race tune
30, 75, 100, etc... that is your nozzle size and it affect how "fast" the fuel dumps.

205/30, 190/30, 175/30, and 155/30 will all tow EXACTLY the same on a tow tune.
Also... 205/30 will tow much better than 155/100

I know it can be a little confusing but hopefully that helps.

No your "sinister powermax" cover will not fit on a KC turbo... and you would not want to. It is just a stock powermax cover with a blue coating/paint. KC Turbos come with an upgraded .72ar cover with drilled hole anti surge ring... which could be painted blue if you wanted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.