SCT Tuner "canned tunes" vs Gearhead Custom - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 02-13-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT Tuner "canned tunes" vs Gearhead Custom

I've been running the SCT "canned tunes" for just over a year and ran the street tune daily to improve power, shifting etc. I was pretty happy with it but it wasn't perfect and the shift points seemed to be off especially when downshifting with the tow button on.

I decided sunday to order the Gearhed custom Street Race Lite (SRL) tune (since I don't have studs) and I am completely blown away! I thought the difference from stock to canned tune was big but the Gearhead tune is on another level entirely. The turbo lag seems non-existant now and the truck picks up and goes immediately after the skinny pedal is hit!

The shift points are amazing and there's zero jerk like I had previously with the canned tunes. The tow button also seems to work better since I use it to descend a big hill from my house every morning. The GH also has smoother power, I can't think of a better way to say it but it pulls hard the entire time.

There's also noticeably less black smoke when I get on the gas which is interesting and the gas mileage has gone up 3-4mpg depending on how hard I'm running her.

The last thing I'll say about Gearhead is the customer service is ON POINT! I ordered the tune on Sunday and filled out a request form with my vehicle details. By Monday morning at 9am I had the tune in my email and was able to get it on the truck asap. I had a couple questions afterwards and the guys responded to my email questions within 30min each time.

I am by no means associated with Gearhead and I was actually about to order from another company when a friend recommended these guys. I hope this helps someone, I couldn't be more pleased.
Chatham036 and jokester00 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-13-2017, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Quoted: 1462 Post(s)
how long have they been loaded ?

Please donate to DTR Ron's Memorial

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We Miss you Ronnie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 Old 02-15-2017, 08:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
There are some pretty good guys over there at GH and they do some quality work.
6.0vanman and G8orFord like this.

--

Comments or opinions expressed by me do not necessarily represent the views of PHP, its management, nor its employees. PHP is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by me.

post #4 of 18 Old 02-15-2017, 08:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Before my 6.0 I had a 13 EcoBoost. Custom tunes would blow away the strategy tunes.

I used my old X3 and loaded the strategy tune to my 6.0 and it did improve it, but now I'm ready for a custom tune! I'm gonna wait until I have the studs done to go all out.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-15-2017, 10:59 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0Dave View Post
Before my 6.0 I had a 13 EcoBoost. Custom tunes would blow away the strategy tunes.

I used my old X3 and loaded the strategy tune to my 6.0 and it did improve it, but now I'm ready for a custom tune! I'm gonna wait until I have the studs done to go all out.
A good custom tune will be safer on the stock head bolts than the canned ones.

Early 2003 6.0 Excursion fully bulletproofed, 155/30 injectors, KC Stage 2, and a lot of other stuff. Thanks to everyone on the forum I have learned a lot.

The EGR does to your engine what smoking does to your lungs.

Remember you can always improve on a design until the EPA gets involved.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-15-2017, 11:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Chase View Post
A good custom tune will be safer on the stock head bolts than the canned ones.
Good to know. I will more than likely return to stock. I cant get in to have my studs and the rest done until April-May.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-15-2017, 02:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Garage
Good to hear. I'm currently looking into getting some custom tunes from Gearhead as well, so I appreciate your review

I did notice you mentioned considerably less black smoke now vs. the canned tune. Are you running bigger turbo/injectors or are you stock? Reason being, I'm running the SCT canned street tune now (stock injectors/turbo) and I don't see any black smoke at all...even at WOT.

-jokester

2005 F350 CCLB FX4 Lariat
ARP's with OEM gaskets
SCT SF3 Tuner
Edge Insight CTS2 monitor
Edge EAS EGT probe
Edge EAS Fuel Pressure Sensor
DieselSite Coolant Filter
Blue Spring Upgrade
post #8 of 18 Old 02-15-2017, 05:45 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatham036 View Post
There are some pretty good guys over there at GH and they do some quality work.
There are some pretty good guys over there at PHP too. The quality is also exceptional.

Dexter
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 with iMFD
SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently PHP 140x)
FICM from Ed
PHP FICM tuner (currently Atlas40)
KC Stage 1.5 Turbo
Blue Spring update
IPR Coolant Filter
Rotella ELC Coolant (CAT EC-1 rated)
BPD EGR Cooler
New (03/23/14) OEM Oil Cooler - (backflushed 05/10/15 @ ~40K & 07/03/16 @ ~70k)

post #9 of 18 Old 02-15-2017, 07:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
I've always good luck with geahead
post #10 of 18 Old 02-15-2017, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokester00 View Post
I did notice you mentioned considerably less black smoke now vs. the canned tune. Are you running bigger turbo/injectors or are you stock? Reason being, I'm running the SCT canned street tune now (stock injectors/turbo) and I don't see any black smoke at all...even at WOT.

-jokester
When I went from canned to Gearhead (I was 100% stock then) the street tune (I think what's the mild power one?) made ok power but was smokey and hot, the performance one made even less power but was even smokier. Gearheads Extreme SRL was way better almost no smoke and the transmission shift was great and to this day still my favorite shifting out of every tuner I've tried.

Early 2003 6.0 Excursion fully bulletproofed, 155/30 injectors, KC Stage 2, and a lot of other stuff. Thanks to everyone on the forum I have learned a lot.

The EGR does to your engine what smoking does to your lungs.

Remember you can always improve on a design until the EPA gets involved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
custom , gearhead , sct , tuner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode