Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2005 Excursion Build KC stage 2 bunch other goodies

40K views 198 replies 34 participants last post by  5.9and6.0 
#1 · (Edited)
I have felt the sting of the horsepower bug and I think we well I might have over done it on parts.

Little back ground my wife’s daily drive was a R63 most car enthusiast did not know these existed you can learn about it here: So yes she had a AWD about 500 hp daily driver. We sold the R the (4:25 mark he talks about the price we sold it for.:doh:)

We decided to replace the R with a truck bought a clean 2004.5 5.9 2500 4 door long bed 4.5 lift, all stock under the hood. Choose not to do any modification to it since they have such fragile transmission. We adopted 2 more dogs realized we cannot fit the whole family in the dodge.

We decide we need a 3 row SUV so what is the biggest and baddest SUV on the market? The Excursion of course. Searched high and low dealership, craigslist and forums. Found a very nice 2005 Eddie Bauer with 45,000 miles but they wanted 35k ugh just a little high. Searched more found another 2005 Eddie with 140,000 priced about the same as ones with 200,000 on the clock. Pretty clean has a 4.5 lift, new 315/75/R16 A/T Toyo’s, Ultra-Wheels, egr deleted, new oil cooler, newer brakes, rotors and came with a STC 4. PPI completed by OFI in Corvallis, OR trusting them they gave it the green light few issue but not anything major according to them.

Runs driver good, but don’t we always want more? The wife gives me the green light “it would be nice if the Excursion was as peppy as the R” or at least in my brain that’s the green light.

I decide since we still have 3 vehicles might as well get the Ex studded and new head gaskets. But gosh what else should I have done with the cab off, I mean really if you are going to do the studs get it all knocked out at once right?

So as of right now we have:

XDP 6.0L EGR Cooler XD180 (might move back to AZ required for emission)

Dorman 603-217 Coolant Reservoir

XDP 6.0L Coolant Filtration System XD143

ARP 2504202 Stud Kit

6.0 Powerstroke KC Turbos Stage 2

Swamps Heavy Duty Rebuilt 58V FICM PHP Atlas 40 (+40 HP)

Holders Diesel Stage 3 190cc 30% Injector

Ford 8C3Z-6565-B - ROD - VALVE PUSH

Diesel Glow Spark Plug Wire Harness Right & Left OEM

Ford 3C3Z-9T517-AG Fuel Pressure Regulator "Blue Spring" Upgrade Kit

Ford 6E7Z-9A332-B Standpipe & Dummy Plug Kit 04.5-07 Ford 6.0L

Ford Motorcraft FD-4616 Fuel Filter

Ford Motorcraft FL-2016 Oil Filter

Water Separator Drain Plug

MBRP FAL2313 Heavy-Duty Up-Pipe Assembly

Edge Products 98616 EAS Control Kit

Edge Products 84130 Insight CTS2

B. Street Stage II - 6.0 Powerstroke Ported Intake Manifold

Since day one my wife has been telling me it needs an alignment. Take it in they find that my front driver side tie rod has tons of up and down play and the passenger side ball joins should be replaced. Might as do it all right? Ordered:

Moog DS1438 Tie Rod End

2 of Moog K8607T Ball Joint

2 of Moog K80026 Ball Joint

Moog ES3427T Tie Rod End

Moog ES3422S Tie Rod End Adjusting Sleeve

Moog ES3423 Tie Rod End

Moog ES3426S Tie Rod End Adjusting Sleeve

Moog DS1439 Tie Rod End

Undecided on the doing the Front Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly also.

Now I say I might have over done since really only wanted to kick the power up a little something like 155/30 and a stage 1.5 but heck we are 2 feet in it now! I would love to get this Ex on a dyno on a before we swap anything out and then a post after the build is complete. Praying that the transmission holds all together. We have nothing to tow and it it’s just going to be a pavement pounder wife daily driver.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I don't think that 5in exhaust will fit my 4in barely fits between the tank and shock with a slight adjustment every now and then because it starts rubbing on one. The pickups don't have this problem because they have their tank under the drivers side seats.

Get BPDs EGR cooler

Swamps 58 isn't the best if you want 58 look at BPD

190cc injectors are going to need a fuel pump and line upgrade

#4 ·
Thank you. I already have the Swamps and the EGR cool at the house. I don't think the exhaust is on the way yet I'll change that out. I bet I'll end up with 6.7 pump. Thank you for the info, I know all this has been done by someone else so the insight is great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I know its only a small thing but you didn't list what nozzles are on your injectors? Make sure you get the atlas40 for larger nozzles if they are over 30%. I had a atlas40 for stock nozzles and added 190/75 injectors. It definitely had a haze to it driving around and didn't even think about it till like 4 months after I put the injectors in. I ended up going to ford and having them reprogram my ecm, tcm, and ficm. They have to update them all at once and I had to remove all of my tuning. Ran much cleaner down low afterwards. I was bummed I lost my money for the tune but my ficm went bad like 3 months before I ended up doing injectors and figured what the heck I may as well put a tune in it not knowing I was going to be doing injectors soon after. Knowing what I do now I should of just ordered the ficm tuner. They would of upgraded the tunes for larger nozzles if I had for free. A little more money in it and I would have 4 tunes to switch to on the ficm also.

Yeah I would suggest the 6.7 pump if you don't mind putting the work in to build a custom fuel system which looking at your post above I don't think you will mind.

Also if your doing this much work I wouldn't be a bad idea to look at getting your heads o-ringed while they are off. A little extra piece of minds. Also some upgraded pushrods and valve springs. You may want to look at the BD up-pipes also. I think they just came out with them and a member on here (Merc82 I believe)posted some info on them. They are a real nice design.

That's just some things I have learned and things that I know I will do when the time comes to do it. I bought my truck studded but I know if Im pulling the heads its getting o-ringed and some other upgrades.

Reactions: 5.9and6.0
#8 ·
I have been a bit budget conscious. That is why I went with Swamps and XDP got the best price I could find.

#9 ·
XDP egr cooler is the same as a chineser and the chinesers are only 50 bucks.. and yes.. they work. I have seen bulletproofs egr coolers throw p0401 codes. The only two products from bulletproof worth buying is their water pump and the ficm. He has already ordered the IPR oil cooler relocate kit which is about fifteen thousand times better than the bulletproof air to oil kit. you are on the right track. those injectors are definitely going to need more fuel. getting the heads oringed is a good idea, but not necessary if you dont plan on going any bigger than you are. dont upgrade your ficm unless getting the bulletproof one. 700 but worth every penny.. sounds like he has the rest of it covered. i already see up pipes on his list. in my opinion, you should keep the intake factory.. you wont need one. stock filter will support 550 hp which is plenty to slip your trans and you dont want that. get a windrunner performance ported manifold. I have one and can speak for them, they are top notch and Nate is a great guy to work with.

#10 ·
Getting my :popcorn:

Reactions: john galt
#13 ·
He might be on to something lol. I have a p0401 that is un-traceable on my ex cab and it has a bpd egr cooler. Every single thing that may cause it has been addressed and been gone over with IDS. And the only thing they can come back with is that it may be in the strategy and need some form of update/rollback as it was never intended to be plugged in for a smog. I can't drive the thing because I can't get it to pass emissions. The intake manifold and egr were also pulled and parts washed also, they are good as new, to eliminate any possible blockage

#15 ·
I'm not condemning nor confirming his speculation. I'm merely leaving it open for discussion.
But I've noticed anything concerning bpd on this forum is heavily regulated and censored.

Before anyone gets their panties waddled, I have their kits on 2 trucks and their 58v ficm

#16 ·
when someone joins and goes out of their way in more than one thread to bash them then they get our attention

they have a great following because they have great customer service and more than one of us is local to them
plus they sponsor this site

you have to give their customer service a chance , feeding a troll isn't going to get anyone happy

you have seen a BPD EGR vs the OEM ? reduced flow would be surprising

I have never heard of anyone with the code related to a BPD cooler I also have one and it's been on for 80,000 miles

Andrew will talks fact not fiction i would give him a call

#17 · (Edited)
I would of went with the VK688 kit, it uses the stock filter a lot easier to get and with the $340 dallor off with the Vince code make it a great deal if there still running it. I've had the bpd ficm for 2 years now, with lots of cold start on it and it's holding strong

Bullet Proof Engine Oil Cooler, Factory Oil Filter

Get the stage 2 ported intake it worth it, got mine from Charlie at kc turbos

#18 ·
Thanks for cleaning up my posts that were fine.
BPD denies their coolers throwing 401 codes I've been over this. I'm a tech. Was at a very reputable shop in Phoenix till I moved to tx for family reasons, and now at a reputable shop there. I can do a set of coolers in about 2-2.5 hours. That's for nothing other than establishing credibility. Their coolers do in fact cause the code. I've had two of their coolers do it, I throw in a Chinese cooler and the code clears itself within a few drive cycles. I do not have a huge liking for bulletproof because of their trigger happy tactic with suing everyone. But I'm not rabbit trailing here. Their oil cooler kit is fine, it just doesn't fit right, is very expensive and doesn't fix the problem, it goes around it. And if you're from Phoenix, like I am, we had customers come in complaining about the wrench like in summer conditions going up the rim. The air cooler does not pull enough heat out of the oil when it's 115* outside pulling a 5er. That's neither here nor there. I joined this place in 2012, been on the forums since. Just because I just started posting does not mean I'm clueless. So please, don't call me a troll, and don't say I'm just starting trouble. Because I'm not. Just giving out my personal experience over THOUSANDS of trucks.

#19 ·
Over "thousands of trucks" and you've had two issues with that code? As already mentioned, have you contacted BPD about the issues?

#20 ·
Listen your posting # 5 #6 #7 to get a post count was not fine
and it earned my attention when it was reported they were removed

you don't think we have a post minimum so someone can post #'s ?

what I see is you with minimal post an no credibility other than self proclaimed hero status bashing a respected vendor

I have a feeling your attitude gets you more headaches in short order

#23 ·
And that's fine. I don't expect credibility immediately. But I still ask that you don't turn me down so quickly, and let me establish my credibility. I'm can diag extremely efficiently and I'm fairly qualified in modifying them.. I built a set of compounds for mine if that means anything to you.. Yes I have contacted Bulletproof, like I said, they deny that their coolers throw the codes. Thousands of trucks, only installed ~10-15 of their egr coolers. I always use Chinese ones since they're a fraction of the cost, and do not rupture either. But 10-15 coolers and had 2 throw 401 codes, that's a decent percentage.. I have a BPD water pump in my truck, and when my ficm is done putting out its 49 volts I'll be buying their 6 phase ficm. I'm not bashing their product at all. Everything they build is superior to anything else. I simply do not like the way they handle some problems. Just had bad experiences and that's fine. If their oil cooler kit was more bang for the buck than a different kit, I'd have that one on my truck. But when Maryland supplies a kit for 1,200 that does the exact same thing for $850 cheaper, guess which kit went on my truck? Lol. I've simply seen their best selling products cause issues. And until you're faced with diagnosing an ect/eot delta concern with their kit, your opinion will stay the same. They *are* aware that their coolers aren't keeping oil temps in check when pulling hills. The factory cooler works the best.. and that's probably why they came up with the factory cooler relocate kit where it stuffs it in the vacuum canister location.

#24 ·
Thank you, that's all I ask. I'll tone it down a bit for a while. I come off strong and I know that, but anything I post is from multiple experiences creating the same effect. If I've only seen something once I would state it as a concern, and would wonder if anyone else has seen it. I've also not commented a whole lot on here simply because I got rid of my old 6.0 a few years back and bought a dmax, but missed the 6.0, so I bought one this summer and simply didn't comment until I built it. The people on that most asked for photos of my build, but I can't post them because my posts are short.

Reactions: ZMANN
#25 ·
BPD does not promote the remote cooler kit for HD towing they recommend the HD air to oil

the remote was just to fill a gap in the market that they had a patent on anyway so why not market one if folks were asking for them ?

if you can dial down the vendor bash i will not have to reply to your every post
deal ??

#27 ·
The air/oil kit is the one I've had the p012F code come up on. BPD says that temps will get warmer with that kit but doesn't matter as much because no cooler is plugged. And they're right, so long as the oil stays below ~250 it'll be fine. I see 270 in my duramax towing uphill with my 5er, even with the factory cooler AND a air/oil kit I made with fans on it. It's just difficult for customers to swallow the news when you tell them their 2,000 dollar kit is what's causing their wrench light to come on.

#28 ·
As much as I'd like to dive in and point out the errors in this thread, I can't. It is true that we have filed another Patent infringement suit against Vince. It's our opinion he's infringing on one of our recently issued patents. And coincidently, as in the past, someone with almost no history comes out slinging cheeseburgers that are 15,000 times better than In and Out Burgers. At least he likes the fries ;)

#29 ·
I would much rather leave it deleted but I might be moving back to Az soon. XDP provides a lifetime warranty. If this FICM fails I will swap the swamps to the BPD.
Thank you again the info is great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.