2005 Excursion Build KC stage 2 bunch other goodies - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 97 Old 12-11-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 Excursion Build KC stage 2 bunch other goodies

I have felt the sting of the horsepower bug and I think we well I might have over done it on parts.

Little back ground my wife’s daily drive was a R63 most car enthusiast did not know these existed you can learn about it here:
So yes she had a AWD about 500 hp daily driver. We sold the R the (4:25 mark he talks about the price we sold it for.)

We decided to replace the R with a truck bought a clean 2004.5 5.9 2500 4 door long bed 4.5 lift, all stock under the hood. Choose not to do any modification to it since they have such fragile transmission. We adopted 2 more dogs realized we cannot fit the whole family in the dodge.

We decide we need a 3 row SUV so what is the biggest and baddest SUV on the market? The Excursion of course. Searched high and low dealership, craigslist and forums. Found a very nice 2005 Eddie Bauer with 45,000 miles but they wanted 35k ugh just a little high. Searched more found another 2005 Eddie with 140,000 priced about the same as ones with 200,000 on the clock. Pretty clean has a 4.5 lift, new 315/75/R16 A/T Toyo’s, Ultra-Wheels, egr deleted, new oil cooler, newer brakes, rotors and came with a STC 4. PPI completed by OFI in Corvallis, OR trusting them they gave it the green light few issue but not anything major according to them.

Runs driver good, but don’t we always want more? The wife gives me the green light “it would be nice if the Excursion was as peppy as the R” or at least in my brain that’s the green light.

I decide since we still have 3 vehicles might as well get the Ex studded and new head gaskets. But gosh what else should I have done with the cab off, I mean really if you are going to do the studs get it all knocked out at once right?

So as of right now we have:

XDP 6.0L EGR Cooler XD180 (might move back to AZ required for emission)

Dorman 603-217 Coolant Reservoir

XDP 6.0L Coolant Filtration System XD143

ARP 2504202 Stud Kit

6.0 Powerstroke KC Turbos Stage 2

Swamps Heavy Duty Rebuilt 58V FICM PHP Atlas 40 (+40 HP)

Holders Diesel Stage 3 190cc 30% Injector

Ford 8C3Z-6565-B - ROD - VALVE PUSH

Diesel Glow Spark Plug Wire Harness Right & Left OEM

Ford 3C3Z-9T517-AG Fuel Pressure Regulator "Blue Spring" Upgrade Kit

Ford 6E7Z-9A332-B Standpipe & Dummy Plug Kit 04.5-07 Ford 6.0L

Ford Motorcraft FD-4616 Fuel Filter

Ford Motorcraft FL-2016 Oil Filter

Water Separator Drain Plug

MBRP FAL2313 Heavy-Duty Up-Pipe Assembly

Edge Products 98616 EAS Control Kit

Edge Products 84130 Insight CTS2

B. Street Stage II - 6.0 Powerstroke Ported Intake Manifold

Since day one my wife has been telling me it needs an alignment. Take it in they find that my front driver side tie rod has tons of up and down play and the passenger side ball joins should be replaced. Might as do it all right? Ordered:

Moog DS1438 Tie Rod End

2 of Moog K8607T Ball Joint

2 of Moog K80026 Ball Joint

Moog ES3427T Tie Rod End

Moog ES3422S Tie Rod End Adjusting Sleeve

Moog ES3423 Tie Rod End

Moog ES3426S Tie Rod End Adjusting Sleeve

Moog DS1439 Tie Rod End

Undecided on the doing the Front Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly also.

Now I say I might have over done since really only wanted to kick the power up a little something like 155/30 and a stage 1.5 but heck we are 2 feet in it now! I would love to get this Ex on a dyno on a before we swap anything out and then a post after the build is complete. Praying that the transmission holds all together. We have nothing to tow and it it’s just going to be a pavement pounder wife daily driver.
RollinEarly99 and peixinho like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toren302 View Post
Starting the new year off right!!
Time to build a 500+hp 4x4 station wagon on 35's!!
I hate lamp!!
05 Ex Fueled by Holders, Air Pushed by KC, Built by Toren
KC Turbo Stage 2
Holders Diesel Stage 3 190cc 30% Injectors
ODAWG Cast 6.0L stage 2 Ported Intake Manifold
MBRP Up-Pipe
ARP HeadStuds
AFE Momentum HD Intake
Swamps 58V FICM PHP Atlas 40
6.4 starter
CTS2

Last edited by 5.9and6.0; 01-04-2017 at 06:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 5.9and6.0 For This Useful Post:
davidtlawson (12-11-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 97 Old 12-11-2016, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
the diesel glow spark plug wire harness has to be worth 50HP alone!? good luck
WD40 and johnnybgood like this.

2003 f250 lariat- stockish
post #3 of 97 Old 12-11-2016, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
I don't think that 5in exhaust will fit my 4in barely fits between the tank and shock with a slight adjustment every now and then because it starts rubbing on one. The pickups don't have this problem because they have their tank under the drivers side seats.

Get BPDs EGR cooler

Swamps 58 isn't the best if you want 58 look at BPD

190cc injectors are going to need a fuel pump and line upgrade
5.9and6.0 and john galt like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Early 2003 6.0 Excursion fully bulletproofed, 155/30 injectors, KC Stage 2, and a lot of other stuff. Thanks to everyone on the forum I have learned a lot.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The EGR does to your engine what smoking does to your lungs.

Remember you can always improve on a design until the EPA gets involved.

Last edited by Master_Chase; 12-12-2016 at 08:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Master_Chase For This Useful Post:
5.9and6.0 (12-11-2016)

post #4 of 97 Old 12-11-2016, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. I already have the Swamps and the EGR cool at the house. I don't think the exhaust is on the way yet I'll change that out. I bet I'll end up with 6.7 pump. Thank you for the info, I know all this has been done by someone else so the insight is great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
I hate lamp!!
KC Turbo Stage 2
MBRP Up-Pipe
ARP HeadStuds
AFE Momentum HD Intake
6.4 starter
CTS2
post #5 of 97 Old 12-12-2016, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,267 Times in 1,197 Posts
Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s10mike View Post
the diesel glow spark plug wire harness has to be worth 50HP alone!? good luck
haha... good catch.

GD

post #6 of 97 Old 12-12-2016, 05:34 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I know its only a small thing but you didn't list what nozzles are on your injectors? Make sure you get the atlas40 for larger nozzles if they are over 30%. I had a atlas40 for stock nozzles and added 190/75 injectors. It definitely had a haze to it driving around and didn't even think about it till like 4 months after I put the injectors in. I ended up going to ford and having them reprogram my ecm, tcm, and ficm. They have to update them all at once and I had to remove all of my tuning. Ran much cleaner down low afterwards. I was bummed I lost my money for the tune but my ficm went bad like 3 months before I ended up doing injectors and figured what the heck I may as well put a tune in it not knowing I was going to be doing injectors soon after. Knowing what I do now I should of just ordered the ficm tuner. They would of upgraded the tunes for larger nozzles if I had for free. A little more money in it and I would have 4 tunes to switch to on the ficm also.

Yeah I would suggest the 6.7 pump if you don't mind putting the work in to build a custom fuel system which looking at your post above I don't think you will mind.

Also if your doing this much work I wouldn't be a bad idea to look at getting your heads o-ringed while they are off. A little extra piece of minds. Also some upgraded pushrods and valve springs. You may want to look at the BD up-pipes also. I think they just came out with them and a member on here (Merc82 I believe)posted some info on them. They are a real nice design.

That's just some things I have learned and things that I know I will do when the time comes to do it. I bought my truck studded but I know if Im pulling the heads its getting o-ringed and some other upgrades.

05 CCSB 6.0 Bullet Proofed, 575rwhp 980rwtq Warren 190/75's, Barder 2.5, Warren tunes.
Sumped,6.7pump,Custom RR by ME
Billet converter, 2" lift 35's
06 MazdaSpeed6-Access port, cobb stuff 13.8/101 26mpg
93 Wrangler 3/4 ton. 38's, Lockers, chromo shafts
98 Chevy 1500 5.7 ECSB mud tires. RIP chevy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flexybronc For This Useful Post:
5.9and6.0 (12-12-2016)
post #7 of 97 Old 12-12-2016, 06:50 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by becdino View Post
Thank you. I already have the Swamps and the EGR cool at the house. I don't think the exhaust is on the way yet I'll change that out. I bet I'll end up with 6.7 pump. Thank you for the info, I know all this has been done by someone else so the insight is great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do yourselves a favor and send the EGR Cooler and the FICM back. Then order them from BPD and since you really don't have a budget cap order a BPD Heavy Duty Remote Oil cooler. The money you spend on those 3 items will be the best money you spend on the X.

k

2005 F-350 Lariat DRW, Asheville Engines Performance 20 Long Block with ARP studs and a Stage 2 Cam. EGR Delete. SCT tuner. Salvaged Banks High Ram Intake Elbow, Ram Air Filter and IC. Amsoil lubricants, Sinister Coolant Filter, Edge Insight CTS, SP Performance Rotors and Hawk Tow Pads, Motorcraft fuel and transmission filters, Mishimoto radiator, thermostat and silicone hoses. BulletProofDiesel water pump and Heavy Duty Oil Cooler. Marty's Diesel Regulated Return
post #8 of 97 Old 12-12-2016, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

I have been a bit budget conscious. That is why I went with Swamps and XDP got the best price I could find.

Quote:
I hate lamp!!
KC Turbo Stage 2
MBRP Up-Pipe
ARP HeadStuds
AFE Momentum HD Intake
6.4 starter
CTS2
post #9 of 97 Old 12-12-2016, 04:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
XDP egr cooler is the same as a chineser and the chinesers are only 50 bucks.. and yes.. they work. I have seen bulletproofs egr coolers throw p0401 codes. The only two products from bulletproof worth buying is their water pump and the ficm. He has already ordered the IPR oil cooler relocate kit which is about fifteen thousand times better than the bulletproof air to oil kit. you are on the right track. those injectors are definitely going to need more fuel. getting the heads oringed is a good idea, but not necessary if you dont plan on going any bigger than you are. dont upgrade your ficm unless getting the bulletproof one. 700 but worth every penny.. sounds like he has the rest of it covered. i already see up pipes on his list. in my opinion, you should keep the intake factory.. you wont need one. stock filter will support 550 hp which is plenty to slip your trans and you dont want that. get a windrunner performance ported manifold. I have one and can speak for them, they are top notch and Nate is a great guy to work with.

06 King Ranch
Fass 200, Custom fuel lines, 225/100s, Thumper stage 2 hpop, WPE stage 3 intake, Mishimoto radiator, Flex a lite fans, BPD water pump, MPD oil cooler relocate kit, Intercooler pipes, Compounds built by me, etc etc etc

05 Eddie Bauer
Resealed entire motor @ 170k miles, new lifters, 6.4 push rods, studs, rebuilt the turbo, IPR egr delete, new injectors, new heads, new ficm board, coolant filter, intercooler tubes, regulated return, bunch of other new parts. Factory exhaust, cat gutted(wife's rig). Livewire with gearhead tunes. Should go a while reliably for her!

03 LB7 duramax the "daily/tow pig"
Lbz cp3, s475/stock twin kit, built trans, steel driveshft, amsoil bypass, secondary oil cooler built by me, fass, traction bars, trans cooler upgrade, dual alts, straight center link + tie rod sleeves, efi live, transfer flow/tool box tank, 5er hitch, other small upgrades.. and most importantly, STOCK HEADBOLTS! Just rolled 200k miles, twins installed @ 165k, daily driven on a "550 tune" tows 18k on a "475" tune.
post #10 of 97 Old 12-12-2016, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Garage
Getting my
john galt likes this.

Dexter
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 with iMFD
SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently PHP 140x)
FICM from Ed
PHP FICM tuner (currently Atlas40)
KC Stage 1.5 Turbo
Blue Spring update
IPR Coolant Filter
Rotella ELC Coolant (CAT EC-1 rated)
BPD EGR Cooler
New (03/23/14) OEM Oil Cooler - (backflushed 05/10/15 @ ~40K & 07/03/16 @ ~70k)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.0stroker , highsilver , kafleming19 , peixinho , toren302

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode