Exhaust Upgrade Question (Banks vs. MBRP) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Exhaust Upgrade Question (Banks vs. MBRP)

Was wondering if anyone could help me here. I've got an '06 F250 powerstroke & I've been debating wheter to get a 4" Banks turbo back exhuast system (& leave my catalytic converter) or the 5" MBRP straight pipe system (which involves removing my catalytic converter). Two quesitons, (1) which system is better for adding HP & increasing fuel mileage and (2) does my truck have oxygen sensors past the converter, causing my Check Engine light to remain on if I were to remove my converter? If so how do I solve this problem. Any help would be appreciated. My truck is completely stock right now & I'm looking to start installing modifications to better fuel mileage & HP, as I'm only getting 14.5 mpg right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
both systems are going to do about the same but the straight pipe will sound better and give you less restriction... either way i think you should go MBRP over banks.. unless your getting a way better deal with banks (usually always on the high side priced)

as far as future mods i would def get some gauges first then the custom tuned SCT afterwards...

if you need any other info or prices feel free to ask

-Raul
Old 10-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I myself just put on the MBRP performance series turbo back kit. It is the offroad kit that deletes the cat and muffler. I love it and at 260 bucks you cant beat it. It fit good and had it installed by myself and a sawzall in 2 hours. I got mine at xtreme diesel but other sell it. It sounds killer! Honestly not too loud until your above half throttle then look the f*@# out! It sounds like a jet at idle but cruisin down the highway its hardly noticable. This is a 4inch kit. Honestly if your trucks stock and your not pushin 600 hp I wouldnt get a 5 incher anyhow unless you just abolutly want a five inch.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had the Banks kit on my truck for over a year and then got borred at work one day and picked up two peices of 4" pipe at the local muffle shop. Then I cut my cat and muffler off and welded the two peices in. I like the straid pipe way better, the sound is great at WOT sounds like a pissed off V-8. Also it don't get near as mutch black coal from my tune.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

I have a stainless banks monster exhaust turbo back, with cat and muffler and I think it sounds great. I don't like an obnoxious exhaust as it gets annoying after a while. The banks still roars with the cat and muff when I get on it, sounds sweet!! sounds like this 6.0.

YouTube - Banks Monster Exhaust Ford 6.0L

MBRP is good to from what I've heard.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i like the sound of this better YouTube - 2006 Powerstroke 6.0l MBRP 5" Exhaust Sounding Sweeeet
Old 10-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Premium Member

That MBRP has no cat... sounds good. Has muffler, but our DMV here inspected trucks for cats. Not to mention cops...
Old 10-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Now I'm Strokin6.4Liters

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I went with the MBRP straight pipe stack kit and i love the sound of it.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metstroke06 View Post
That MBRP has no cat... sounds good. Has muffler, but our DMV here inspected trucks for cats. Not to mention cops...
You could put the cat on a diet and clean it out.
I have a banks and it has been good and sounds great without a cat and Erics X-street it barks at WOT.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:46 AM

Just get whichever you can get cheaper. If I'm not mistaken the MBRP just has a "test pipe" that is extra that replaces the cat, you should have no problem swapping the cat in or out of the system.

Both are good exhaust systems, but Banks always seems to be overpriced with everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.