Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

NADP transmission Rant

13K views 58 replies 16 participants last post by  SRTchris 
#1 ·
Have a 04.

Installed a new NADP HH back in Jan 14 by a Ford Technican.
Used IDP to tune trans.

Had nothing but complaints of the way it shifted. Was so erratic and not smooth at hard. Shift hard is fine. But rough shifts and just erratic shifts is another thing.
Even with stock tune in, truck still did this.
Have claimed to them about trans, have made multiple posts on here about it. Everyone said it was normal.
Switched tuners twice, each would be better but slowly go back to same issue.

Fast forward to 3-4 weeks ago.
Truck started flare shifting really bad. Then started to only shift in 3 and 4 gear. Nothing else.

Called NADP to see what needed to happen for them to look at it.
Had local Ford dealer pull trans, cause only way they would further the warranty.
Finally got a call up from NADP.

Oil stator shaft broken clean. Warranty will not cover it.
Said would help me by only charging me parts.
Over $2000 for repair.

Trans is still in warranty. It's their transmission that is broke.

I do not race, sled pull, the truck.
Occasionally spirited driving yes.
Since trans was installed, have literally put less then 15,000 miles on truck. Have a work van I use.

**** just pisses me off.
Bought this trans for the warranty and the reputation.
And both haven't shown with the price of their product.

See less See more
#3 ·
When I talked to the owner about warranty they had mentioned they may do parts only when they think the issue is not their fault ( specially with tuning causing problems since they want no tranny tuning specially line PSI

i wasn't comfortable with this policy and the whole Canada shipping for repairs deal

this is why i went with a boring Ford reman. even if I install they will R&R on their dime

sorry for your Drama. I know that wasn't a cheap tranny. and it's going to cost you what 3000.00 more now ??

#4 · (Edited)
If I understood his terminology.

Cause it was a "hard part".
The shaft to the oil pump I guess broke clean off.

Which I don't see how is possible, I drove the truck to dealership. And the Technican drove the truck in on the rack.

But according to NADP. The truck should not be able to move with the shaft being broken.

But not saying they denied warranty. They are eating the freight and labor.
Which I am grateful. Randy, the guy I've been dealing with has been great.

But still. Over $2000 to fix a already expensive transmission that has less than 15,000 miles.
I don't race truck, sled pull, or pull heavy loads.

Just hard to fathom this price justification.

#5 ·
Ok. I'm going to need some advice on this issue.

Fact is, oil pump shaft is broke, clean break.
NADP says truck should not have been able to move with this condition.

Prior to NADP receiving my transmission back, Ford technician checked the pressure and said for it to be normal pressure.
The fact that the truck was driven to the dealership to be checked out for flare shifts and why it was only staying in 3rd and 4th gears only.
Fact the technician drove it on the lift to be pulled.
The shaft all of a sudden being broke just does not add up at all to me.

I have had the trans since Jan 2014.
With IDP street tune.
Since then, I have contacted NADP twice on hard shift/erratic shift issues.
And once about finding metal shavings on the OSS sensor.
Multiple threads on here discussing the issues. Even changing tuners twice. And having same issues on stock tune.
Trans has less than 15,000 miles since.
I do not drag race, sled pull, nor pull anything over 8,000lbs twice a year.
Truck only gets driven on weekends as I have company vehicle during week.

Paid $5500 for trans, and had the billet input shaft installed for extra $300 when bought.

I'm having a hard time digesting NADP wants another $2100 to fix this transmission cause the shaft breakage isn't covered under warranty. A shaft that, as I have been told, very rarely breaks, and would take a lot of force to break.

Any thoughts of how to go about this situation.....

#6 ·
ATS, Suncoast, NADP, Firepunk....and so on.....NONE of the a/m trans company's cover a shaft breakage. It is just the way it is, and breaking a shaft isn't as tough as you think. As you have stated you have had erratic shifts and hard shifts. A hard shift at the right load and rpm could very well be what broke the shaft. Depending on how the shaft broke, it may still be making contact with the broken end enough to drive the pump. Now company's like Jasper, and Ford will warranty a break, but then again they specifically want the trans installed on a STOCK truck. NO tuning or any mods. This is why it is smart to run the trans for a while in full stock form. Then you would have a leg to stand on. Adding a tune to a "built" trans will almost always break something. The trans file has to be stock for company's like NADP, and ATS. Adding a tune that even remotely touches trans settings will screw them up bad. Get rid of the IDP tuning and see what happens with the new trans. What choice do you have at this point. 2100 is cheaper then another built unit and shipping back of your core.

#7 ·
Toren,

I ran the stock tune for the first 1,000 miles.
Had shifting issues then, took video of it, talked to NADP, said it was normal.

Used IDP from suggested people on here, that they knew how to tune the trans because of the pressure issues NADP likes.
Ran that got the first year after. Was never happy with them. Just dealt with the issues cause I didn't drive truck too much.
Emailed IDP back, cause at this point. I added a KC s2 turbo and studded truck.
And told them about the trans issues. They rewrote tune, this was Sept of 2015

Changed tuners twice, to see if anything would change. Told them it was an NADP trans. Not to touch the line pressures. They said they knew, they've tuned a few, some with good luck. Some with no such luck.

I'm in my phone, so I can not add picture of shaft. But it's a clean cut all the way across. Separated shaft.

I just don't see how the truck drove into shop. And Technican drove truck in, without issues.

Codes from trans are direct clutch codes. And the line pressure was checked before removal and was said to be normal.

#8 ·
Well I do have to completely agree with the fact that if the shaft was in 2 different pieces ... the truck would simply not move... No fluid circulates = no go...... Honestly if all of this are true.. you might just have the worst luck in the world

#9 ·
Not directly related...but when I broke the 4r70 in my Mustang it broke and/or welded almost every hard part in it......and it still drove but with only one or two gears.

#10 ·
This is how nadp builds trans, they used to be good. but have gone way down hill. they used to use sun coast converters. but have switched to "in-house" converter which is a stocker with a billet cover. I wouldn't run one ever again. they are sacrificing there rep for profit and don't care.

Attachments

#13 ·
If you're referring to the strap on the filter, there's nothing wrong with that, in fact is always a good idea. Lots of builders do that.

#11 · (Edited)
Either the stator shaft was weak or the torque converter was bad and messed it up. Its not really normal for that to break.

I hope to assume the converter came with the trans when you bought it.

Can you post some pics of the converter and other damage? If it is indeed the converter, then the company they use should reimburse them for the repair. NOT you.

#12 ·
When I was shopping for NADP they told me IDP had acceptable tunes but you have to ask them to write them specifically for the NADP ( no line pressure increase)

when i talked to my other tuners. ( I don't care for IDP) no one seemed to really care to cater to this need .

that was another reason I passed on their tranny besides warranty to Canada concerns

the last reason was for over 5000.00 they refused to put in writing what Billet items i was getting.

i guess you pay them to fix it and cross your fingers ?

yes NADP ships with converters

#16 ·
i guess you pay them to fix it and cross your fingers ?

yes NADP ships with converters
OR pay less than a grand more than they want to fix it, and buy a ford reman....or get a $800 used one like I did, cut your loses and call it a day.

Also op....ANY time you have a hard part failure you need to replace the converter, cooler and lines.

#17 ·
#20 ·
I would send it to me to have Sam Wyse go through it. Depending on how many billet parts are in it and for the cost that NADP is charging, it may be the same price to fix it and have a 3yr unlimited mile warranty that will be honored. Depends on what clutches they use too. For daily driven use, we dont like Red Eagle Altos.

#22 ·
Ok.
Just sent Randy at NADP all my previous threads and emails of the issues I have had with transmission from day one.

He gave me a call back, and this time it was a better conversation then it has been all week.

We both have taken this in a reasonable/ responsible manor, but at the end of the day he has a policy to follow. And at the end of my day, I felt I haven't been a pleased customer, and I took all the steps they recommended me to take and nothing was done about it.

So we both have agreed that NADP as a company is going to take care of the entire build of the transmission, and the freight charges. And I'll take care of the dealership charges.
I'll still have a warranty to finish up.

As of right now, I am very pleased with the way NADP has handled the situation.

Given the fact that nobody could have stopped the shaft from being broke. And that is not warrantied.

I am pleased with NADPs taking care of their valid customers.

Randy stated hopefully the transmission will be built by Tuesday, and be shipped out. From there, I will let you guys know how it goes.

Thank you for all the replies.

#23 ·
If it does it again, your converter is whats causing the issue. Looks like they use RECON from the color of them on their website. We ditched them due to on time delivery issues and have gone exclusively with DPC. We couldnt ask for better dealer support from them.

As for the temps of the Red Eagles...its not a huge temp increase, but its typically around 10-15* warmer in many of the ones we've seen. Not knocking them because for some applications Sam does use those clutches, like a sled/drag truck and sometimes will use them in certain clutch packs in the same build with other clutches. The Raybestos GPZ give you better all around performance for a weekend warrior type setup.
@SRTchris At the end of the day though, we all here just want to see you and your rig back on the road and enjoying yourself.

#26 ·
It's disappointing that it came to this, but hopefully, it will work out for the best. Please keep us posted.

PS. I was never really happy with my IDP "performance" tuning. It always had shifting problems and they could never get it right. Other tuners had similar problems, so I think that some trucks just have "sensitive" transmissions. :D

#27 ·
Yea. Not sure how to get it tuned now.

Cause I have S2 turbo and 175/30s

So it needs some type of tuning.

But obviously someone has to know how to tune these.

I'll go with who ever. I'm not looking for fastest race tune. Just conservative good manner tune.

#28 ·
The key is that 90% of the "custom" tunes are just someone's tweaks on the base file tunes. When a built trans is installed, the ONLY way to properly tune it will be a live tune PERIOD! Most tuners have no idea how these built transmissions function, and as you found out first hand, guessing at tuning it is a horrible idea!

I like lamp...

#29 ·
That's what being a good company is all about, it's how you treat your customers after the purchase. It's good they're working with you. A couple examples, not near as much $ or anything but same principle. Two days ago my cousin was shooting his bow sighting his new sight in for elk season which started today. The sight literally broke and fell off when he shot. It snapped in half. He called the company and they said they would send him a new one and he would have it in a week. He told them he was leaving the next day hunting and waiting a week wouldn't work. The guy he talked to told him to go down to cabelas and just exchange it there on their behalf. He went down there, no issues, had his new sight. Again not the same at all but it's the same principle. They made sure he had one on time and honored their warranty without question. That says a lot about a business. Leupold optics does the same thing for my dad. He's owned their optics for over 30 years and he still sends his binoculars in every year to be cleaned and freshened up without a penny leaving his pocket

Reactions: SRTchris
#30 ·
I have tried lots of tunes... everyone does something a little different with them.

I always end up back with my TSD tunes.

6.0tsdtunes@gmail.com

Not bashing on any other tuners... I run IDP, WPE, GEARHEAD, PHP, TONY WILDMAN, ETC... they all have good and bad. But when it comes to trans shifting my tranny has always loved TSD

#31 ·
I had his tunes also.

First month, his tune was the best.
But then it started doing the same as the rest.
Just erratic shifts.

But could have been possibly the issue.

I am grateful NADP is working with me, I know they didn't have to do it. And it took awhile to get where this has gone.
I could understand if I actually sled pulled, drag races or such with the truck.
But honestly did not do any of that.
By far I don't baby the truck, but I'm not running any crazy power, and literally just drive truck on weekends. Company van through out the week.

And that's where I just couldn't believe the shaft breaking. Just could not understand how/why.

Randy has been great to deal with. He was just doing his job. That's their policy, no warranty of shaft breakage.
But a company that stands behind their product, I will gladly drop their name for anyone to buy from. And so far, I would gladly drop NADP name out to buy from with how this was handled.

Going to be a lot better to get the truck back on the road though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.