Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Exhaust Reccomendations

4K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  fetorino 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a 05 6.0 king ranch bone stock and looking to open up the exhaust on the truck to help it breathe. I have no intentions of running boost controller etc and making tons of power. Any recommendations on what the best exhaust would be on a stock set up?

#2 ·
If not going for power the cheapest is just replacing the stock muffler with a Walker BTM or if you want a full system I have a MBRP and it works great, other companies are Magnaflow, Diamondeye and a few other I can't remember.

#3 ·
I have a stainless Silverline 4" turbo back. Fit on install was good, but I would not recommend because after 9 months it is already starting to rust.

#7 ·
Yes. Surface rust, no holes, but it is less than a year old. It is the cheaper stainless, 409, kit. I try to take pics tomorrow (getting dark now) to show everyone.

#6 ·
Must be cheap SS because my MBRP is fine and I live on the Texas coast.

#11 ·
What I really love about my 6.0 is how quiet it is in the cabin compared to my 7.3/ZF6 with MBRP exhaust. It was loud to begin with, but also droned badly. My buddy has Diamond Eye on his 7.3 Excursion and it very quiet inside.

I want some more whistle, and a little "blat" on full throttle, however I won't have any drone. What system would you recommend? FloPro? Diamond Eye?

#12 · (Edited)
If you go all 4" piping you will likely have drone. A muffler will help to reduce exhaust drone but if you want to make sure not to have drone you will want to keep your cat converter.
I know it sounds strange but this is my second 2006 F250 and I've been through this twice now. I have a SS MBRP along with Diamond 4" down pipe along with a 4" Corsa muffler. On my second F250 I had exhaust drone though and didn't know why because my first truck didn't do have it.

Only difference was I had a cat converter that was knocked out and had 4" pipes welded onto both ends. So the cat was empty and the 4" pipes replaced the 3" and 2-1/2" pipes.
So I emptied out my cat and welded 4" pipe ends on and put it in the same OEM location. Low and behold my drone was gone and it even gives it a bit lower tone to the exhaust. So the open chamber smoothes out the exhaust and stops the drone and it softens the raspy sound at WOT too.
I have since seen items made to reduce exhaust drone but your empty cat will do just fine. Anyways I hope this helps you, I assure you I know exactly what I'm talking about. Good Luck with it, what you can do is get the pipes for your cat the larger sized piping so you can slide it over the rest of your 4" pipe and with muffler clamps lock it into place. If you want to remove it and install a straight piece of pipe you can.
But you won't once you hear the difference it makes.

Good Luck with your exhaust.

#13 ·
I just installed the MBRP 4" off road turbo back system. In the cab it sounds stock, outside has more whistle. Kit installed pretty easy. I got the 304 SS from Alligator Performance for same price everyone else was selling the 409 SS. Exhaust gas temps dropped significantly as well.

#14 ·
What about drone going down the interstate?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Flo pro is the way to go. They don't use the crap u bolt exhaust clamps. They are also really well priced.

Reactions: SparkyF250
#18 · (Edited)
I agree with you on the piece of crap clamp/hanger setup. When I first saw those in the box I shrugged.

But then I hung my pipe up with them LOL. I'm not a fan of MBRP really the Diamond 4" down pipe is for sure better material and it was heavier piping too. If I were to buy a exhaust system today it would be Diamond for sure over MBRP.

One more note, my old alaminized system was quieter then the SS pipe system for sure. The SS has a tinny sound to it, I'm guessing due to the thin SS material.

Oh yea: MBRP 4" turbo back is a bunch of BS. They give you 3-1/2" for a down pipe. That made me mad to be honest. Don't claim something that's not true. I called them and asked why they use 3-1/2" and they said 4" won't fit. Which is pure BS
I just installed a beautiful Diamond down pipe

Reactions: Mr International
#19 ·
As far as downpipes, the research I found was that there was not enough of a difference in performance between the 3.5" and 4" downpipe to worry about it. I had plenty of room for a 4" downpipe, but my understanding is that not all years do have adequate clearance which is why most manufacturers supply the 3.5" downpipe. I went SS because of all the salt they throw here in Ohio when it snows. As far as the u-bolts, I had no problems with installation and no leaks. As far as quality, thought quality is really good. I can't sound off about Diamond or Flo-Pro as I have never installed one or owned one, but I am sure they are really good as well. I think whichever you decide to go with will be good as they will all help lower the EGTs. I went through all the forums when choosing my exhaust, and found out that everyone has their favorite which makes picking one all the harder. So I say this; as long as it is mandrel bent, 4" exhaust w/ either 3.5" or 4" downpipe, and made of a material suitable to your geographic location, you should be good w/ any of the major brands mentioned. Just my $0.02. Good luck w/ your new exhaust!

#20 ·
For your needs the 3.5 downpipe is ok , but for others the 4" is far better and WILL have lower EGTS definitely , as far as price the diamond eye is still cheaper .. I payed 230 for 4" shipped 2day shipping

#21 · (Edited)
Go with the Diamond even the bend on the down pipe was superior over MBRP.
Here's a picture I took of the two side by side.

As far as the comment above that a 4" isn't any better then a 3-1/2" makes me mad. The 4" will dump the heat faster but spools up slower but DONT list a damn exhaust system as a 4" turbo back if it's a bunch of bull$hit!!!!

If I could punch somebody as MBRP I would. A$$holes, Don't buy their junk.

#23 ·
Of all the ones ive installed...I have more trouble with Diamond Eye fitment. I sell alot more of them, but they are much less money. MBRP, rarely do I have any complaints. Actually, Ive only had one, but that was because UPS beat the living s*** out of the box and bent a couple parts. Customer absolutely had to install it because its his only vehicle.

#24 ·
I forgot about saying I would post some pics of the rust on my Silverline 409SS kit. These are not very good but here you go.

Its not rusting through, but this has only been on for one winter.

#26 ·
Heat wrap and heat in cab?

I am considering a turbo back exhaust to help lower my EGTs during heavy towing.

I noticed my stock downpipe has a good heat barrier insulation on it.

When any of you have installed a new 3.5" or 4" downpipe do you notice more heat in the cab without the insulation?

In my situation I am always puling a heaavy load for 2 or more hours at a time so heat soak from EGTs could be a noticeable problem.

#28 ·
It is an early 04.:nod: So that insulation is only for sound and not heat? Good to know if it is true. If it is a 10 blade and I go with a 3.5" or 4" downpipe are my ears going to bleed from a piecing whistling sound?:(

It has been through a set of head and other repairs prior to my owning it so I am not sure what turbo is on it. Is there an easy way to tell the difference? It looks like I now have some reading to do on Turbos. :hehe:

#29 ·
It's not as loud as the tailpipe but it is audible under acceleration and cruising. You could tell most easily by counting the turbine blades if possible with the Down pipe off. Also the 10 blade has something different about the compressor side that I cannot remember right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
On my 03 inside the whistle is nothing to worry about I like it and have received some complaints from people. Outside (idle) it's definitely heard for a good distance but I can stand at the tailpipe and it doesn't bother me much. However when I turn on high idle and the engine is cold (oil below 150F ish) I can't stand to be by the truck it hurts my ears but not my dad or younger sister or brother. On some of my custom tunes I did ask for 0% VGT at idle because it sounds like a big block v8

#31 ·
Well it sounds like a 4" cat delete, turbo back exhaust may be my next purchase.

To Muffler or not to Muffler that is the question.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.