STuD's going in - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
STuD's going in

Man I hope this is the fix. I'm gonna scream if I have to visit the dealer again this year. First bed plate seal, then oil cooler and turbo, now head gaskets. I spent the $$$ for the ARPs hoping it ends the cycle.

I know one thing... when the 100k mile engine warranty is done... so am I. Figure she'll go up for sale in a couple years, around 95k miles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilson143 View Post
Man I hope this is the fix. I'm gonna scream if I have to visit the dealer again this year. First bed plate seal, then oil cooler and turbo, now head gaskets. I spent the $$$ for the ARPs hoping it ends the cycle.

I know one thing... when the 100k mile engine warranty is done... so am I. Figure she'll go up for sale in a couple years, around 95k miles.

Congrats man just make sure they checked the heads for being flat. It probably would have been better if you took them to an outside machine shop and had them decked yourself.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:12 AM

Congrats, did you get them done under warranty? You should get a hold of Adam at FCDP and get yourself an EGR delete too, then you should be set.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed05 View Post
Congrats man just make sure they checked the heads for being flat. It probably would have been better if you took them to an outside machine shop and had them decked yourself.

Also ditch the EGR cooler
Old 10-09-2009, 01:20 PM

Can't ditch the cooler... I hear starting next year I'll have to pass a smog inspection... I think its a visual inspection only. I'm stuck with just the EGR block off.

Yup, HGs were warrantied.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed05 View Post
I have a question about that. I have a dealer that will do my studs "under warranty". Alot of what I have read about dealers doing studs is they dont machine the heads properly. If I have the dealer do them, do you think it would be possible for me to take them (or have them sent to) the machine shop of my choice? Cant anyone give me specific specs as far as machining?

Also, anyone know of a machine shop around the Beaumont/Houston area that works alot with these heads?
Old 10-09-2009, 07:38 PM

I dont really remember from when I did my studs, But the heads need to be very close, i believe .005 run out is out of spec. Again Im not 100% positive but its crazy how close the tolerances are.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:46 AM

I thought the heads only had to be machined if there was Damage?
Old 10-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Well Truck Source Diesel told me:

"There are a few dealerships out there that will replace the studs under warranty but we have actually found it takes a little more than that to consistently end the leaking problem. We have found that well over half of the cylinder heads are not flat enough or have a good enough RA value to seal the multi layer steel headgaskets that a 6.0 has. So even with the highest clamping force in the world, some would still leak. To solve this we have a machine shop mill the heads to our specs and put a nice surface on them. We also take the chance to magnaflux and pressure test the heads to check for any cracks to prevent future problems."
Old 10-10-2009, 03:55 PM

Don't over look the deck surface. last one we did looked like absolute hell so we long blocked it. not worth a chance on a repeat failure, and to my knowledge, there's no one who makes a suitable shim or HG to make up what gets machined off. if it looks like chit, make them replace the long block or you'll be screwed later when they fail again after warranty. It's your truck, not there's, make them fix it properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.