Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

**NEW** Power Hungry Insight PRO

42K views 197 replies 50 participants last post by  TaintlessEd 
#1 · (Edited)
The cat is out of the bag about the new Edge Insight PRO about to hit the market.

This will be the same as an Edge Insight out of the box, but you will have the ability to load custom tunes directly onto the insight and use it as a programmer rather than to monitor alone.

Best of all, it will be set up to use Minotaur Tuning Software opposed to some of the other software on the market.

The Power Hungry Insight PRO will only be available for purchase through us directly or through one of our authorized dealers. These devices have to be set up differently than the standard insight PRO in order to be used with Minotaur.

If an insight pro is purchased elsewhere, it will not have the ability to be converted into a Power Hungry Insight PRO unfortunately.

Retail price has not been determined yet on the programmer. Actual release date should be within the next few weeks.

We will have three options available for sale:
Minotaur Tuning Software PRO
Available for use on all 6.0L strategies.​

Minotaur Tuning Software - Standard Edition
Perfect for the advanced enthusiast who wants to tune his own truck or modify his own transmission shift points / pressures. This package will include the software as well as the Power Hungry Insight PRO​

Power Hungry Insight PRO
This will be perfect if you know someone who has Minotaur to write you files. This option will be similar to the SCT platform... only better because it is PHP :wink:​

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Ya'll just keep coming up with new ways to spend money on my truck. D@mn you! :poke

Anxious to see this...

#3 ·
Will this be able to tune both FICM and PCM or just PCM?

How will these tunes compare to SCT custom tunes?

And will this do any transmission tuning?

#15 ·
This Insight PRO will NOT tune the FICM as well. The programming is far too different between modules to have the ability for both on one device. Even though it would be extremely convenient.

The files you load into your SCT are going to be the same as you will load into the PHP Insight PRO. The ECM/TCM files are nothing more than an unencrypted binary that we(tuners) modify. Once we make our changes to the binary, we will encrypt them to a device. The encryption is the only difference. One type of encryption will only work for an SCT where the other will only work on the PHP Insight PRO. This is the step for why your tuners have to know your device serial number on a SCT.

The PHP Insight PRO will in fact tune the transmission. Tuning soley the ECM is just silly.

#4 ·
I guess the main question I would have on this is who is using that software to write tunes, besides PHP obviously?

I really like the idea that you don't have to buy an sct, ficm programmer, and a monitor with this setup. Now people would only need this CTS and the FICM programmer to be done with electronics.

#14 ·
We already have several guys who are set up currently as dealers that write tunes for the 6.0L like GearHead.
In order for anyone to get set up, they simply need to give us a call and we can set them up as a dealer. It is more paper work / pricing agreements / boring stuff than anything.

Will it be shift on the fly programs, or stop and load programs like an Edge Evolution?
It will NOT be shift on the fly. Shift on the fly plus the aggressive relearn of a 5R110 is something you never want to combine. The trans will go out prematurely.

Will you guys be able to write tunes for an Insight Pro that didn't come from you? I may have jumped the gun, as I just bought one from Corey. Got it today and already put it in the truck :please:
As long as you purchase it from one of our dealers, you are in luck. We can tune for it along with our other dealers who tune.
Corey @ CNC Fab is one of our dealers.

sooo gonna have to buy tunes again? :sad:
If you purchase the Power Hungry Insight PRO directly from us, we will convert your PHP SCT tunes over for no additional charge.
If you purchase the Power Hungry Insight PRO from one of our dealers and want your PHP SCT tunes switched over, there is going to be a $10 charge per tune.

Jay ( @Chatham036 )... What type of Insight are y'all using, the CS or CTS? Does the device allow for PCM and FICM tuning on the same device?
This will be an option with the CTS2 platform.

So where do we sign up? I would definitely like to try this.
As soon as we get word the hardware is on the way to us, we will open up for orders. I do not want to generate a backorder only because I do not have a definitive answer on when we are getting them. I just know it will be in the very near future (few weeks).

Can one of the Mods tell me what in the heck happened to the multiquote option?!? This copy and paste per quote stuff is for the birds.

-Jay

#6 ·
:bump::bump::bump::bump:

#7 ·
Any pics of the interface?

#8 ·
Will you guys be able to write tunes for an Insight Pro that didn't come from you? I may have jumped the gun, as I just bought one from Corey. Got it today and already put it in the truck :please:

#10 ·
Jay ( @Chatham036 )... What type of Insight are y'all using, the CS or CTS? Does the device allow for PCM and FICM tuning on the same device?

#11 ·
Jay ( <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> @Chatham036 <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> )... What type of Insight are y'all using, the CS or CTS? Does the device allow for PCM and FICM tuning on the same device?
the little bit I've read it's basically based off the new cts2, same thing as the insight pro that edge released, and I would imagine FICM tuning will still be separate..

#18 ·
Besides being convenient, what would the benefit be, if any, to switch from an sct to this tuner?

#23 ·
There's also that "tune it yourself" option for the advanced guys. That's got me intrigued. I know this can be done with the SCT and other software already, but I haven't found a lot of information about it and knowing this is coming straight PHP, I'd feel more comfortable about support and help if I needed it. I believe Jay mentioned in an earlier post/thread that this might make it easier to get past some of the shortcomings of current tuning platforms. Am I remembering correctly @Chatham036, or was that a reference to something else?

#24 ·
You are correct. I do not like SCT software at all. It isnt intuitive and it does not offer the ability to tune graphically through maps like I prefer.
I can only tune through data tables which is less than desirable at best.

Minotaur eliminates all the issues I have with SCT.

#25 ·
Ok, so this a completely new CTS2 device that has been worked over to program with custom tunes, correct?

I just want to make sure I am understanding this all.

#29 · (Edited)
I just attached an image from Minotaur to give you guys an idea for how adaptable and intuitive it is.

The black curve on the top two windows is from the VXCF4H3 calibration. The red file you see is our 40 hp file.
As you can see from this, by simply increasing the values on the top side of the map, you will get more fuel. More fuel, more power.

The bottom two windows are the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. On shift maps, they only have two axis rather than the three axis like the fuel maps.
The values across the bottom is your a/d counts for your throttle pedal. Think of this as a throttle percentage. With this you will see as the pedal goes further down, the speed required for the shift to happen also rises.

Light throttle, this tune will shift around 8 mph. At heavy throttle, this tune will shift around 26 mph for the 1-2 shift.
Same concept for the 2-3 shift, 3-5 shift, and 5-6 shift.

If you look to the window which borders the left side of the screen, you will see just a fraction of the graphs you can open up and modify.

If this seems overly complicated to you, it very well may be.
But I can promise that 95% of the powerstroke enthusiasts who get on this page are well enough knowledgeable with the 6.0 platform to adjust or tweak the tunes.

When you purchase one of the Minotaur packages, we will give you a couple files to start with so you can see how to make a street file, tow file, etc.
From that point, the sky is the limit. You will have all of the same options available to you that the leading tuners have available to them.

Plus we can always be of service to help :)

I might even be able to talk Bill, the godfather of PowerStroke tuning, into doing a complementary 8 hour group lecture on the tuning foundation with the purchase of a Minotaur package.

Attachments

#30 ·
Alright you win. That looks pretty awesome and far more straight forward than the sct programming. This is extremely tempting.

#31 ·
What issues are people experiencing with the Livewire TS? I've been running one for a while and haven't noticed anything...

I am unfamiliar with the Minotaur tuning. What are the differences/advantages it has over the tunes that you buy from, for example, Innovative or others for the SCT?

#32 ·
I know your question was directed at Jay... but there are at least a couple things that really bother me about the livewire.

THE TOUCH SCREEN SUCKS!!! Very hard to navigate.
I have had multiple touch screens die on me and not work at all
It does not read EBP correctly on some years (maybe all years)
It does not read ICPv (one of the most valuable readings for heavily modified trucks)
The color and graphics of the TS leave a lot to be desired

#40 ·
this is very interesting

could be a game changer

the downside appears to be you can only use PHP tunes ( correct ?) so this leaves every other tuner out of the game

the up side seems to be the the better tuning capabilities vs the SCT tuning software written tunes

# 1
Beta tester ;-)

#44 ·
We already have several guys who are set up currently as dealers that write tunes for the 6.0L like GearHead.
In order for anyone to get set up, they simply need to give us a call and we can set them up as a dealer. It is more paper work / pricing agreements / boring stuff than anything.

If you purchase the Power Hungry Insight PRO directly from us, we will convert your PHP SCT tunes over for no additional charge.
If you purchase the Power Hungry Insight PRO from one of our dealers and want your PHP SCT tunes switched over, there is going to be a $10 charge per tune.

From the sound of those two posts from Jay, I would think that any tuner that buys the S/W package could port their tunes to the new platform, but I could be misinterpreting. @Chatham036 can you clarify?

#42 · (Edited)
So.....if the Insight Pro is more, but at least close to what the regular Insight is, I'm assuming $450 for the Insight Pro....and another $700 for Minotaur "Standard" for us enthusiast grade folk that want to dabble in our own tuning.....with nicer software than the ProRacer platform.....dammit you guys, QUIT MAKING COOL CHIT THAT I DON'T HAVE SPARE FUNDS FOR!

BTW to anyone else that's considering this, if you want to check out a preview of the DIY tuning software, PHP has a demo available for download on their site. It looks overwhelming at first (kinda like going through 1st generation DOS code) but just read through the instructions and play around with it. It's a really cool piece of software, and with them doing it with a demo version, it gives you the ability to try before you buy.

http://store.gopowerhungry.com/en/t...-edition.html?search_query=minotaur&results=5

Edit: and everytime I see it referenced, I can't help but thinking of this truck from Role Models :rofl::rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.