Compound/Twin Setup Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 07:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Compound/Twin Setup Questions

Alright guys.....I have done some research and formed my own opinion.....now I would like some of your opinions. Basicly, everyone knows to make over 500-550 Hp and still tow , have decent EGTs and make the truck streetable/daily driver material......you basicly have to go to some sort of compound setup. A year ago, I would have never thought about this but I have been talking with some local businesses(friends) about partially funding a custom compound set up. I know 3 people that are great fabricators and have alot of knowledge in 5.9 CR engines......just not the 6.0. They have custom made their own kits and are willing to help me with my build if needed. I understand their will be alot of downtime and other upgrades involved besides the turbo system......trans, fuel system, injectors etc. This just seems like a good "oppurtunity" for me since I really cant afford 7-10K for a compound set up......and there are people I know that have expierence in building custom kits. I have some sponsers lined up, so that will help me out. What do you think? Realisticly.....If I was going to do a compound set up I would want around 600/650 HP on fuel. I dont think that is too much to ask out of a compound set up...sorta thinking about a 62/70 for the small charger and maybe a S475 or S500 for the big charger. From my research I could probably get away with some 215-225 Injectors. Opinions? Am I crazy for attempting this? I want to hear the good the bad the ugly.... I am aware that there is generally more knowledge about this subject on PSN or CompDiesel.....but frankly there is alot of negative members on there as well that I dont want to have to deal with. Powerstroke.org is generally a more "friendly" forum that doesnt bash "people that dont know or ask stupid questions" Like I said.....this is just in my brain at the moment......but things could get moving around November if I decide to do this. Thanks in advance for all your input......good or bad. Have a good day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2009, 11:12 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
I may be wrong but I think tex is putting down like 503 rwhp on casserly 155cc sticks and a rcd 64mm turbo alone. He says he tows 16k most of the time as well. That would hit the bottom of your target. I bet you could run 175 sticks and hit 550 rwhp on a single turbo and still tow...
Old 09-25-2009, 11:12 AM

not crazy at all, call diesel nut motor sports (jason) they just did a 62/70 over a 475....very awsome... truck is running perfect. Actually it was matts truck and I think he is on this forum. I am going to the same set up the first of the year. He ran a 12.6 or something in the 1/4 last weekend in redding on a stock tranny.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the input! I mean heck I wish I could get around 550HP on a single charger and still be able to tow.....at least 8k or 10k. Like I said, I have a fair amount of knowledge on this but there is alot that I dont know haha!
Old 09-25-2009, 11:25 AM

550 still be able to tow with a single, can be done with a single.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
I think twins and compounds are cool but why over engineer what is possible for less and if I recall correctly the 500hp he made with the spartan phalanx tuning on a. Agressive street or hybrid file from matt at spartan. I would say a lot has to do with the guy setting up the turbo and tuning.... Getting it all to work right together. But 550hp is a acheiveable goal and streetable and towable to.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:50 PM

I think a single 64mm or II 62/70 can get 500 to 550 and tow........ twins just allow you the best of both worlds....spool and top end air
Old 09-25-2009, 03:39 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes, you can tow with a medium-big single, but you can't tow HEAVY. When I have the time I'll be doing compounds with probably a 58mm small turbo and a conservative big turbo. I want to be able to tow 20k+ and be in the 500-550 hp range.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:43 PM

Ok guys. Thanks for all the input. Man I really like the simplicity of a single charger but man compounds would be awesome. I guess what has got me on the "compound craze" is I took a ride in my friends 800HP 5.9 CR coumpound set up. Man its like that thing never runs out of power and EGTs are not high at all.......of course I only rode on the street, not towing anything. If I could ever get my truck to feel 1/2 that good.....I would be happy. I guess that not to much to ask is it ? . I have nothing against a single NON-VGT charger.....if it could give me around 550 to the wheels and have good spool up for steet use. I guess what makes me sorta iffy is.....seems like people go from a stock turbo to a VGT upgrade and then to a NON VGT then alot of people end up coming back to a VGT upgrade and eventually back to something like a stock turbo or 03' turbo. Does anyone else notice that alot?
Old 09-25-2009, 05:11 PM

It is just not realistic to think you can tow anywhere near what a stock truck can with an engine originally designed at 235hp when it is cranked up to 500hp. Ask the guys with twins that work what they tow, nothing, they are just toys when you get up in hp. I have a very street friendly 530hp and even towing light is just too hard on it. The vgt vs. non-vgt is pretty much personal preference as far as street manners, vgt will have a little better manners than any non-vgt available at this point.

Last edited by Vizsla; 09-25-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.