Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Bought a River City Diesel Stage 1 Cam!

19K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  jmeaby 
#1 ·
Is anyone else running one of these. Just ordered a RCD Stage 1 cam today for my bro's 2004 rebuild we're doing. Supposedly good for @40hp?

#2 ·
Badass! Let us know how you like it please. I've been eyeing their stage 2... I'm not even close to being ready to go in that far but I'm watching the camshaft posts for someday down the road.

#4 ·
Don't know about "40hp" but they are great. THE BIGGEST benefit is the more "normal" profile of the cam. The stockers are cut to promote EGR function and can cause direct wear on the lifters. If you have to go that deep into a 6.0/6.4 a cam needs to be on the NEEDED list of parts. I currently have there stg2 in my 6.4, and just put a stg2 in Mikes @6.0Stroker rig. We will see a dyno chart soon on his rig. Mine wont be till September and it will be skewed. I added a 73mm atmo to mine. I wouldn't put stock into the HP rating for the cam. Do it more for longevity of the lifters and internal components of the motor. That's the value.

#6 ·
Have you noticed any difference in drivability with the cam? That's really all that changed in the build. You would have a good baseline Mike to tell us anything. I changed a lot on my 6.4, and definitely notice a better exhaust note, and a different application in power when building boost.

#7 ·
I was actually thinking about paying for 2 runs.. one on the canned tunes so I can compare to my last Dyno run.. and then again on the SPD so I can see what it can do..

Sound is different. The wife says she can tell a difference at idle and I can when I get on the throttle.

I am not sure if its the cam specifically, but it feels smoother to me if that make sense. When you get on the throttle, its a lot smother, more consistent feeling of power as you accelerate in RPMS..

#11 ·

That is my Dyno printout. I hoped to break the 450 mark, push for the 475 mark, but never expected for that.

First run was 501.0 Second was 503.9 The guy operating the load next to my door asked me if I was happy with those numbers.. Ummm ya! lol Asked if I wanted another run at it, told him I paid for 3 and I'm already strapped down, so we went again and got the 504.3

Really was hoping for some TQ numbers. Like Toren and Nick both said, I am pretty sure I would of broke into 4 digits with those HP numbers.

I have stock re-man injectors with plugged spill ports and stock nozzles, and a wicked wheel inside a stock '03 turbo. I am more then happy with breaking the 500 mark with that set-up. I really wish I would of had the ported intake manifold that I made a deal for that was supposed to be installed. I think a ported intake with that cam would of gave some really nice airflow into heads.. (maybe add a larger turbo in the future would be even more optimal :evillol:)

Everyone there commented on how smooth it sounded all the way up to 3700 RPMS when I let out. I can try and get some videos loaded but they are on the wives cell phone.. had quite a few 6.0 guys asking me what was done and kept coming back looking for me at the event to talk to me. I did not see any other 6.0's there break the 500 mark, low to mid 400's. there wasn't a lot, but there was a few. Mostly dodges like normal.

If anyone is rebuilding or replacing a 6.0 engine and has it out... I STRONGLY suggest opting for a cam upgrade. :thumb:

#12 ·
Those are fantastic numbers for that setup.

Reactions: 6.0Stroker
#14 ·
Those are awesome results!

#15 ·
Makes me even more excited to get my spare long block finished. I have an RCD St1 sitting on the shelf that will be going in it.
Nice numbers dude.

Reactions: 6.0Stroker
#16 ·
Those numbers are awesome. I cant wait to get my brothers 2006 engine build finished with the RCD cam and .030 over bore. We're swapping it into his 2004 FX4 that had the lifter failure. Thinking of going with the Powermax turbo and regulated return kit. Still thinking about which injectors.

#18 ·
Use the new (latest) shorter pushrods for sure. My brothers engine seems to run super smooth with the RCD Stage 1. A good tune, injectors, and turbo should really get the most out of the cams profile. No more destroyed cam followers!

#19 ·
That sounds like the plan. Turbo upgrade and maybe injector upgrade. I am looking at the KC turbo stage 1 but if some money shows up and he gets the 2r back in stock I might go that direction... what turbo injector combo did you do in your brothers truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
I've had them work on a couple 6.0s for me, one at the prior and one at their new location. Super good guys, great service. Always happy to give them my business.

Reactions: bartfriend
#21 ·
Hello fellas, I'm wondering since I'm going into my motor to stud it I wanted to run a RCD stage 1 cam with new lifters, PSP pushrods, ported HCF heads and an Odawg's S2R intake manifold.
Anyone know if the RCD stage 1 cam and a stock tune with with the above mods and the EGR will pass a California "Snap Test"?

#22 ·
Nothing you list there should affect your ability to pass emissions testing.

You might want to look at a Dynamic Diesel Stage 1 cam. Nothing Wrong with RCD, per se, but the DD cam is a comparable grind and a bit cheaper. If you want really good flowing heads, less weight and you got the coin, you might want to check out Kill Devil Diesels new aluminium option.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-performance-parts-discussion/1318434-anyone-got-info-those-new-kdd-aluminum-heads-5.html#post15925842
@Gearhead2012 @piexinho

#23 ·
Thank you for the info!

The KDD heads are sweet, but I do not have the extra scratch to cover the $3200 price tag.

I'm $9,200 into parts for the cab off top end rebuild/studding of my 6.0 and I need to get a built trans that'll handle towing up to a 16k toy hauler and handle the future KC2R turbo I plan to run.
Any suggestions for transmission builders?
I'm thinking EDE stage 2 w/towing upgrade, BTS or NADP's heavy hauler.

#25 ·
The after market cams rock. I have a colt stage 2 and it is amazing. My turbo lights instantly. I just put a powermax on it. Truck hopefully sees the dyno next Thursday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.