Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

question about square BPD egr cooler.

6K views 45 replies 12 participants last post by  Evil Eye 
#1 · (Edited)
I really hate to do post this question. Honestly I am extremely tired of searching through threads upon threads to find one specific thing about this kit.

Got this BPD EGR cooler in the mail today. I can't remember, but I'm 90% sure the tang that mounts the cooler to the intake, on the up pipe side, had a nut welded on there???
If not, can someone please briefly explain the proper way to anchor that bolt to the cooler.
I know that I can probably fennagle a nut in there, but I'm pretty certain when I pulled it off, there was a nut anchored to the cooler.

This is a long story, and the rest of this just comes from my frustration with BPD at this point:

I ordered the air/oil kit from BPD. I have little to zero experience with auto/diesel maintenance, but I was a Helo mech for 9 years in USMC, so I have some level of mechanical aptitude. Any way, the sales guy for BPD had me read him my vin, and despite my truck being a 2004, he tells me I need a round EGR cooler. Okay.

So I get it in, takes me most of Friday to get everything off. Saturday I'm putting everything on and I realized The EGR cooler is round. So I have to wait till Monday, call the guy, argue with him. Long story short, I guess the previous owner put an 04 motor in. So I have to send back the new cooler to get the square one and it takes a week to get there. The following Monday, they ship the right one, and it gets in today, Saturday.

So, I've been out a truck for TWO WEEKS. I'm in college, and with summer semester, every thing I've done maintenance wise has been data dumped. But I'm pretty sure that square EGR cooler is supposed to have a nut on it.

Side note, the long story part; the sales rep I spoke with was kind of a jerk. I sort of felt like after I spent 2400$, and it was their sales representative that told me I needed the wrong part, which left me to figure out how to get 3 kids and myself to school in the morning for two weeks, the least they could do is pay for the shipping.

He explained how there's no proof that I spoke with one of their sales reps and he wouldn't budge. So, I'm not very confrontational and I let it go. On the other hand, as I'm sure most guys know, my old lady is no stranger to confrontation, she also works in customer service industry and took it upon herself to call and speak with the guy. Now, I realize it seems a ridiculous, but an argument can be made that she's just as involved as I am, seeing that we share financial responsibilities and after dropping 2400$ and me not having a vehicle for 2 weeks, she is affected by that, not to mention she helped me install the thing.

Anyway, the guy starts by telling her the same thing he told me. She says the same thing I told him. Then, she asks to speak to his manager, which I'm assuming is the owner, so he hangs up on her. Well, she calls back. I was in the other room but I could hear him on speaker. She says that his customer service is extremely poor. He pretty much tells her how awesome he is.

Anyway, she figured out the manager's email online somehow, and then he finally gave up and said the HE will bring the issue to his manager. All of this was over 25$ shipping label.

I completely understand that BPD's procedure is to determine the proper cooler by Vin #. However, he called me back and it took about 1 minute and 30 seconds for me to look on the side of the engine, read the data plate, and clearly determine that it was a 2004 motor.

After it was said and done, he emailed me a shipping label. I did have to pay shipping for the new one. I don't know. I guess if I knew my stuff, this could have all been avoided. The service I received prior to my purchase was top notch. I guess now I have a red flag on my account because as soon as they get my info, their demeanor changes. Anyway.

It's Saturday, and I would really love to have a vehicle this week, BPD is closed on weekends. Can anyone give me some pointers on what I should do?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I guarantee this is the right place to get to the bottom of your situation

however I am still processing your thread

I don't think BPD supplies that cooler nut I have to check a file as I can't remember but I think it is a clip nut and you swap over from your old one

#3 · (Edited)
curious did you order from BPD direct ? I ask because customer service with BPD is historically better than their parts so you can imagine how stellar people say it is since their parts are the best available

going from memory that nut is just a clip with nut and the purpose is to hold the cooler to the intake as you lower it all in to place

those clip nuts are to be transfered from cooler to cooler but many times they broke or are MIA

you can get it done without it once the other end is secured tot he exhaust the cooler is secure if you do slip a nut in there i would not crank it down super tight and make sure the bolt doesn't touch the cooler

pic is example not actual

#5 · (Edited)
the whole square vs round cooler could have been avoided had you known where to look

you can see enough of the cooler while it is in the truck to verify before you rip it open
Thanks, I should have made it more clear, as I also tried to explain this to the sales rep I spoke with.

I do take responsibility for the mix up. It is my truck not BPD's. I mentioned it in the thread, but if I knew more about 6.0s or just diesel motors in general, this entire situation would have likely been avoided. I even had the chance to notice it on the Friday when I got the intake out. So yes, it is my fault.

On flip side, I didn't really think that much of it. When I called to order the kit originally, and asked which one I needed, the rep asked me to read him my vin, he told me I had a late year 2003, and I need a round cooler. After, so many years, I guess I'm the first dummy to call in, being the second owner of an 03 truck and not know that the previous owner (or dealer I bought it from) put an 04 motor in it. Which is fine.

I'm not the expert, they are. Which is sort of my point.

curious did you order from BPD direct ? I ask because customer service with BPD is historically better than their parts so you can imagine how stellar people say it is since their parts are the best available

going from memory that nut is just a clip with nut and the purpose is to hold the cooler to the intake as you lower it all in to place

those clip nuts are to be transfered from cooler to cooler but many times they broke or are MIA

you can get it done without it once the other end is secured tot he exhaust the cooler is secure if you do slip a nut in there i would not crank it down super tight and make sure the bolt doesn't touch the cooler
ZMANN,

Thank you for the answer. Yeap, I definitely sent the old one off with that clip on.:|

To answer your question; Originally, I called BPD's sales to discuss a little bit more in depth, the differences between the various kits. Their website just said to something like Good/Better/Best. I wanted to know more about why.

Anyway, I went with the Best kit, minus the cold weather thermostat option, and he told me everything that I needed to put in the cart online. I had noticed the Round vs Square option and asked which one I needed. That's when he had me go read him my Vin#.

I literally didn't hang up with him until I purchased the order online, because I specifically remember discussing the different shipping options. That rep was awesome. He patiently answered all of my questions, I was on the phone with him for probably 15 minutes.

{Break} I realize this story is confusing, I could make it easier, but I don't want to drop names. I also don't want to bad mouth BPD. I waited two whole weeks before I hopped online and posted a thread about the situation, specifically for that reason.

Aside from all the crap that my wife dealt with.

When the rep I had an issue with called me back, this is after the entire exchange happened, first thing he said to me was, "For future training purposes," can you go out to your truck, look at the tag on the motor, and tell me which year it is. When I said 2004, he said it was "rare" that this happens, but he spoke with his boss, and they'll email me a shipping label.

Like I said, it was my ignorance that lead to my situation. It's kind of tough being so transparent, it highlights the fact that after so many years BPD has been pushing these things, I am the first to have any issues. But I'm not the expert, and I really don't think I was being unreasonable. I have to admit, when he said that there is no proof that I in fact called to verify the right part to order, it kind of ticked me off. I'm not so desperate for 25$ that I will lie.

But when he said our procedure is to go by Vin #s , then calls back and says for future purposes look at the motor, it kind of shows maybe that their "procedure," could use some work.

Honestly, in hindsight, I probably shouldn't have said anything about it.

Reactions: ZMANN
#6 ·
Well if your truck has a different engine in it bpd had no way of knowing that and can't really be held accountable for that, if I remember correctly Their website has a good bit of information regarding how to tell the difference between cooler even videos I think.
As far as bpd being rude to your wife...idk that's not typically how bpd acts as a whole at all, but I guess everyone has there bad days any maybe that individual could have been corse idk.
But that being said I also know how women can get sometimes especially military women, and you stating you waited in the other room as she scolded bpd on the phone tells me that she's definitely a "strong minded" woman, and could have been overly rude herself.
But bpd is the best company to work with in my experience, if any of there people were out of line I can assure you it will be addressed.

#7 ·
Well thanks for elaborating on the story

I would think they should have you check the Engine date code as STD procedure

and no one is beating up on you for how you feel about the dealings you had despite the fact I know almost all of the people you must be referring to.

the bad feeling will you have about the phone call will soon replaced by great thoughts of a well engineered kit and how it performs and installation.

most Forums have people come and complain about certain MFG's ( a place to vent ) but rest assured people go out of their way to comment on the BPD service/sales team

I have read no complaints to date that I can recall and I am on multiple forums so this appears to be an isolated account IMO

#8 ·
Oh....and you can buy those j-nuts at advance Auto in the bolt section.

#10 ·
Thanks fellas,
Yeah, there's definitely two sides to the story, this is only mine. It's really not a huge deal, in the end, I'm sure I'll be happy with the kit. I was just surprised/frustrated at the whole thing. Everyone does have great things to say about BPD, and I'm really not trying to take any of that away.

#12 ·
I'm sure they're aware :thumb: ....but it is the weekend, they've been swamped, and a Baja race is coming up next week I think.

#13 ·
I agree they know they know everything ;-)

i guarantee if one of us had a tech question we would have an answer even on a weekend ( I speak from experience ) but weekends are sacred
and this thread is kind of messy with on person on the phone and the other overhearing

no offense to the OP but I wouldn't see the benefit of a BPD interaction here other than the retention nut question and you have that resolved

#14 ·
Your not the first to have problems with BPD customer support, I've been down that road already.

Reactions: Davenew
#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
:shrug: Ken and Andrew have always been there for me day or night....even @Ford diesel girl folds shirts like no other :p:

#23 ·
No need to send that part. I shouldn't have sent it off. I've already got it back in w/ a self/lock nut anyway.

I do appreciate the fact that BPD did pay for and promptly email the shipping label. Regardless of how I felt, they didn't have to do that.

#19 ·
Hmmm, now this has me shaking my head. I, like ZMANN, know just about everyone with whom you could have interacted and this seems quite out of character. Anyway, I'd like to think that with Ken involved and knowing what went down, that he'll ensure that nobody on his Sales/Support team will ever get into a debate about whose job is more important.

#21 ·
Ken, I think it's great that you are sending the OP the clip that he doesn't have, which is not included with the EGR cooler.

OP, I would advice that you do a little more research about these trucks before you jump in and start working on them. Not trying to sound like a jerk, but had you educated yourself a little more before diving in to your task you would have known which cooler you needed before you bought anything, which would have saved you a bunch of time waiting on parts and the whole tit for tat aguring would have never happened. JMO

#24 ·
How long ago did you get everything back together?

#27 ·
I still need to put the degas bottle and all the lines on and hoses on.

I only have the intake, oil housing, and turbo back on. Along with the actual cooler and filter. But I ain't pulling that turbo back off.

Reactions: Evil Eye
#28 ·
It's a funny thing about that turbo. Sometimes it just drops right in and bolts up perfectly! Most of the time, though, you fight and fight with that thing and curse and yell and drink beer. And then go back to fight with it again and pull it out, look it over, put it back in and NOTHING LINES UP!!! Then, you just bump it just right and voila! There's gotta be some voodoo magic with those damn turbos! :nod:

#38 ·
Actually, @Evil Eye's description here is pretty darned good...

@NYC F-350 had a great description of his from a long time back. I'll look for it when on a PC if he doesn't chime in first.

#29 ·
It's witchcraft!!!:look:

#31 ·
This is a classic "you don't know what you don't know" scenario. Yes, it is the OPs responsibility to know the model of his engine, but if the question seems answerable with VIN, it would not appear to require any more thought.

I knew fairly early on that mine is odd... I have a 2004 that had the engine replaced by Ford in 2007. The replacement was a 2004 era reman. It is a late model engine with some updates that they knew of in 2007. ...but the ebp is in the early 2004 location. That's either because they reused what they could from the original engine or it's what they had sitting on the shelf. I was just lucky that I didn't try to order something big before sorting it all out.

It might help to have a thread that documents specifically what someone should do to learn more about their vehicle (OASIS, Etis, CarFax, ...), how they can tell early or late, and what characteristics/quirks exist with each year (missing MAFs, good/bad HPOPs, EGR throttle assemblies, 4-pin/7-pin FICMs, ...). Something like the monitoring thread but geared toward mod prep.

It might make life easier and make it so everyone wouldn't need to ask the same questions all of the time. Just a thought.

#32 ·
Reactions: djmaguire
#33 ·
I suppose that I asked for that. Lol.

I'll do it. I'll need some help in the form of comments/corrections. I've got an idea of an interesting way to do it. More later in a separate thread...

Reactions: Rattlesnake18
#37 ·
Man, I was so close to drinking a victory beer. Got it all put together. I primed it. Looked okay.....

Started it up. I got a big ole exhaust leak coming from behind the Turbo on the drivers side pipe. I pulled the clamp off. Well I tightened the thing as far as I thought it could take it. Started it up, same leak.

So, I pulled it off. Can anybody tell me what I should do about this gap??? I tightened those clamps before I mounted the turbo down in the hopes that they would mate better. any way here's a pic

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.