Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Is the '03 turbo worth the extra money

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Raggededge93 
#1 ·
I know this is purely a matter of opinion, but I would like to know what others would do. I currently have the later style turbo and I'm looking at rebuilding it. I've read that the '03 style has a slightly larger compressor wheel as well as the larger 10 blade turbine wheel, which would allow this style to move more air than my current turbo. My question is would it be enough of an improvement to justify the extra couple hundred dollars to purchase a used '03? Either way I go I will rebuild with a billet single plane compressor wheel.

#2 ·
It's a trade off thing. The later turbo that you have will build boost faster with less lag, but you'll run out of turbo in the top end at WOT.

The 03 turbo will perform better at WOT, but will have some lag off the line.

The sound is another thing. The 03 will have a more pronounced whine to it. I like turbo noise, some don't.

So the best answer to your question is "It depends".

#7 ·
I knew the "it depends" is the overall answer, I'm just feeling out what others would do or looking for opinions from those who have done it. With the single plane billet wheel I was looking to see the '03 spool as quick as my current turbo in factory form. I pull my camper and boat more than I race, but I'm confident either turbo would do fine in those situations. The noise of the '03 isn't something I think I want. I've never ridden in a truck with one personally, but from the videos it seems like it would be obnoxious to me.

KC Turbo will sell you a new 2003 wheel for $200.00. I'm thinking about doing the same thing, my old truck must have had a 2003 turbo in it. My current truck sounds nothing like my last one ?
I looked at the wheel, but for another $100 or so I can pick up a whole used '03 turbo and then I get the slightly larger compressor size as well.

Thank you for the responses so far.

#4 ·
KC Turbo will sell you a new 2003 wheel for $200.00. I'm thinking about doing the same thing, my old truck must have had a 2003 turbo in it. My current truck sounds nothing like my last one ?

#8 ·
just remember, 03 or not, it's still a used turbo...

If you want the sound, and more power, and eventaully want more fuel, look at the KC stage 2.

a 03/powermax/kc stage 2 with 4-5 inch straight pipe with tunes draws alot of attention with the whistle, just a warning if your into that or not lol :)

#9 · (Edited)
What's your goal for the truck?

The reason I ask.....if you ever want to upgrade injectors later or such, you'll be better set up to use the 03.....the 05+ turbos just can't support it with their smaller size. Up to a Stage 2 turbo can be safely built out of an 03 with no machining required, just drop in parts.

Like Jeff said the trade off is spool time. The 05s spool quicker off the line, a Stage 1.5 based 05 even more ridiculously so, but it chokes out above 3000 RPM and when I had mine I could feel where the turbo was being pushed out of it's efficiency islands as RPMs didn't climb as fast and EGTs climbed higher. The 03 turbo will take another 200-300 RPM to spool up, which if you have a lighter foot I honestly doubt you'll ever notice, but if you have a heavy foot, you'll feel a little lag until the turbo catches up, and maybe a little smoke if you run a hot tune.

And then there is the "benefit" (depending on your opinion) on the whistle; some people like it, some don't.

If you don't really race and go WOT most of the time and your primary use is as a DD and towing rig, I think you'd be better off to save on the 03 and get a Stage 1.5 kit and get the bigger compressor on the 05 turbine. That was an amazing little turbo but I like to go too fast and needed something a little bigger...

#10 ·
I really don't want the whistle, but I will take it if it's a better choice. I like the idea of the KC 1.5 a lot, but it's a little more expensive so it didn't make this discussion. I don't really have a goal for the truck, just fun to drive and can pull my boat and camper around no problem. I will eventually upgrade to 155/30 injectors. I will jump on the throttle from time to time, but I won't be entering pulling competitions or shooting for a specific time at the drag strip.

Reactions: nighthawk285
#11 ·
Yes I know, I'm posting my truck video again. :p

OP, Here's a set of 155/30's with a KC Stage II and a 4" straight pipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.