Getting ARP studs, anything else? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Getting ARP studs, anything else?

This all started with my engine temp spiking 2 months ago while pulling a grade with my toy hauler in tow. Dealer said it was the oil cooler and put in a new one. 2 trips since then I've puked coolant out the degas bottle, and on the most recent the temp spiked again. So today the dealer called and said its the head gaskets and (already knowning I'd be interested) offered to put in the ARP studs.

Catch is... in addition to the cost of the ARPs, they want $500 to lift the cab, claiming that they normally do their head gasket jobs with the body on, but that switching to ARPs will require the cab lift. Just want to check with you guys that this all seems correct. I've read of some people doing the studs w/o the cab lift.

Also... while they're in there, anything else I'd be stupid not to have them do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 03:24 PM

Not that iv ehad them done but what would cause them to have to lift the cab with the arp's and not with the normal studs? Sounds like the tech wants a little pocket money
Old 09-23-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilson143 View Post
This all started with my engine temp spiking 2 months ago while pulling a grade with my toy hauler in tow. Dealer said it was the oil cooler and put in a new one. 2 trips since then I've puked coolant out the degas bottle, and on the most recent the temp spiked again. So today the dealer called and said its the head gaskets and (already knowning I'd be interested) offered to put in the ARP studs.

Catch is... in addition to the cost of the ARPs, they want $500 to lift the cab, claiming that they normally do their head gasket jobs with the body on, but that switching to ARPs will require the cab lift. Just want to check with you guys that this all seems correct. I've read of some people doing the studs w/o the cab lift.

Also... while they're in there, anything else I'd be stupid not to have them do?
i believe ford says a head gasket job calls for cab off. but are they doing this under warranty work? and only charging you 500? if that is the case i would pay the 500.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:31 PM

Its actually easier to lift the cab, lol! I would pay to have the heads sent out and checked for flatness, and corrected if need be, have the injector cups and head pressure tested. most likely the stock heads are not straight. you will sleep better at night knowing you did this provided there is a reputable machine shop who has 6.0 head experience in your area. It cost me $450 to have this done. I would never do the job without doing this but I must warranty my work. this is money well spent IMO
Old 09-24-2009, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the input! I'll look into it!
Old 09-25-2009, 09:36 AM

I was under the impresion Ford was not allowed to machine heads on a warranty job.....just replace.

I was also under the impression they always lifted the cab....not sure on this one though.
500$ for a stud job is good though I would not cause waves either way.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:56 AM

Is that with them supplying the studs or you buying them? I bought my studs for $425 and had to pay $75 for an extra hours labor of installing the studs. I had all this done under warranty. And yes the tech that did mine said it's a hell of alot easier pulling the cab.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:08 AM

the cab always gets pulled to do the stud and head gaskets... you can change out the studs with cab on by going one by one but its a PITA.... but to replace the gasket the cab has to come off... they are just trying to get a little money out of you but its way cheaper than paying the full bill.... however, you will want to have the heads milled for sure... they are almost always warped or cracked when the head gasket goes... since the engine wil be torn down and EGR delete would be a very good ivestment as well... since that system is the main reason for head gaskets to blow out....
Old 09-25-2009, 10:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jason.
Cab always comes off, the tech wants some pocket money, but $500 still isn't bad. I tipped my tech $300 just for doing it because bartow ford here in FL doesn't do studs, so I gave him $300 to change his mind. haha
Old 09-25-2009, 09:51 PM

The $500 is labor only... I had to buy the studs myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.