First Performance Mods - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 01:19 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Performance Mods

Well guys, I recently had the ARP studs and new gaskets installed as well as EGR cooler, Oil Cooler and other misc. issues addressed. Truck is completely stock. What are some mods that I can do to give me a little better performace? I drive it everyday. Don't race it at all. I tow a small trailer once in a while. I am looking for recommendations on some mods that will safely increase performance. Nothing radical!! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
SCT tuner, exhausts system..those are two good mods
Old 09-22-2009, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Gauges, exhaust and sct
Old 09-22-2009, 05:58 PM

Thanks guys. I don't want to do anything serious. Where is the best place to get the SCT tuner? Does it already come with the tune programmed?
Old 09-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Rice Hunter

YUP,,,, what they said
Old 09-22-2009, 06:11 PM

What is the difference between the 3 different tunes on the SCT?
Old 09-22-2009, 06:22 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
with us, we include a street,race and tow file. One has the most power (race) and a bit more aggressive Torque converter lock up, the street has a a bit less power and has a less aggressive torque converter lockup, the tow file is just that, adds about 40hp and firms up shifts
Old 09-22-2009, 06:33 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to chuckles
first off, with SCT get a custom tune from one of the reputable vendors here. There are a few. Most offer 3 basic tunes. Street, Tow, Economy.

Street: Daily driver, hot throttle response, firm shifts, more advanced timing. High HP and TQ. Can tow usually up to 8 to 10K lbs EGT's rise fast with this tune.

Tow: Milder tune, firm shifts, less timing, Cooler EGT's. Usually lower hp but high TQ tune for towing up to the rated capacity of the truck. Some of these use the VGT turbo as an engine brake also.

Econ. Milder than stock. Very slow throttle response, less hp/tq then stock. Very slow. Basically removes fuel from truck to keep hot foots from burning up fuel. But this tune will get worse mileage then "street" tune, if street tune is not hot rodded. Pesonally I would call this the "valet" tune. Great if you need to lone truck to someone, or have valets park it....

some tuners also offer an "extreme Street, and "Race" tunes These are very high hp (up to the max that the fuel/turbo system your truck can support) and can be used as daily drivers/race tunes, but should never be used to tow with. You can blow things up really easy with these tunes and a heavy load. But if truck is unloaded they are fine to use at WOT, provided you have a EGT guage to watch temps. Usually these tunes are in the 400 to 420RWHP range. Some also offer "studded" versions of these tunes that are 10 to 20 rwhp higher, but these are completely maxed out tunes for stock trucks with good exhaust.

If you have studs, and EGR delete, you should be good with any of these basic setups. you willl need good exhaust system and delete your cat converter if you want to gain full benefit of these tunes, and increase the overall longevity of you engine.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:49 PM

Chuckles, thank you for making that very easy to understand. I will def. be doing the exhaust and cat delete first. Want to order the tuner hopefully next week. I just want some extra performance without blowing anything up. Thanks again everyone. You guys are awesome!
Old 09-22-2009, 07:03 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to chuckles
Sure. If you want something now. I would get the basic street and tow tunes, and wait on the xtreme/race tunes until you get good exhaust and guages.. just my 2 cts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.