BulletProofDiesel Recore EGR Cooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 07:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
BulletProofDiesel Recore EGR Cooler

Anybody have any experience with the "re-designed" EGR cooler setup? Looks like the tube design is much better than the OEM innards. Would this be a sensible alternative to EGR deletes? Wondering if the exhaust temps are getting cooled to an acceptable level. And what dis-benefits this kit would have. I kinda like it because it keeps the system in place and functional for emission inspection/testing reasons.

Ford_Power_Stroke_EGR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 04:18 AM

I suppose only EGR deletes are of interest to 6.0L owners? I think this is a very unique product. My only concern is whether it cools the exhaust charge to the same temperature as the OEM cooler. Surface area at the coolant/exhaust gas interface could be different as is the material between the two...which might speed or slow heat transfer.

I just figured for the money, it looks like a fix that will hold up. And keep trucks in compliance with OEM emissions.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:39 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I think that Dave was going to be looking into these

Maybe he'll chime in. It doesn't seem like its going to cool the exhuast temps as much as the stock cooler in "good" shape, just because it uses SS tubes to transfer the heat from exhaust to collant. Heat transfer would be MUCH better if they'd used copper. Does seem like a good unit, but I'd like to see the intake temp differences before and after this cooler install
Old 09-23-2009, 04:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
thats a joke. upgraded egr cooler..right
Old 09-23-2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03f250stroke View Post
No not really. I can't speak about this unit specifically, but it isn't to far fetched. Strides have already been made with people making a/m DPF parts(mainly in Europe(Germany especially), but eventually it'll get here), so an EGR cooler isn't all that out there for our trucks and later.

Simple economics supports this. Hell, think of it. The cat converters of today are nowhere near the hp robbing ones when they first came out, no reason to think that EGR coolers or dpfs for diesel trucks now and the future also wouldn't get an upgrade to those units as well. Unless they just totally scrape them altogether, which I doubt, but that too is possible.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Its an EGR cooler. It is in fact upgraded beyond stock. Therefore its not a joke. Not much different than a stronger radiator, tranny cooler or intercooler.

Unless you mean the theory of what its supposed to do. If EGR coolers never failed, leaked or caused superheated coolant or whatever...I wonder if there would be so much concern over them? If this solves the failure issues...then maybe it IS a viable option. Obviously the issues with the exhaust gas fouling EGR valves, intakes and turbos is still an issue. But for a close to stock truck...this might be worthy of having.

I know one guy who has had an EGR cooler failure...but he's not the type of guy who's going to remove or block the cooler and EGR function on his truck. So this may really be an improvement for him.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
the egr system wasnt a fail on fords end. imo it wasnt a bad design. it does its job. somewhat. but when people start modded these trucks, adding more pressure/power and wonder why they fail and say they are a terrible design.

but ill stick with my totally deleted egr system and you buy this "upgraded" cooler and let me know how it works out
Old 09-23-2009, 08:02 AM

I think right now its still cheaper to delete.
Its too risky to try one just to see if it fails,I have had my heads off once and dont want to do it again.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
I think that Dave was going to be looking into these

Maybe he'll chime in. It doesn't seem like its going to cool the exhuast temps as much as the stock cooler in "good" shape, just because it uses SS tubes to transfer the heat from exhaust to collant. Heat transfer would be MUCH better if they'd used copper. Does seem like a good unit, but I'd like to see the intake temp differences before and after this cooler install
Nick? Copper? its a ford truck, not a kitchen sink
Old 09-23-2009, 09:03 AM

Failure analysis has shown in many cases the engine oil cooler to be the culprt in egr cooler failure. coolant flows from the oil cooler, to the egr cooler. the oil cooler can become restricted with casting sand, machining leftovers, and silicates that form in a neglected cooling system. we know this from disecting failed oil coolers. when a failure has ocurred, the entire system must be examined and evaluated before replacing the egr cooler in order to minimize a repeat failure. the bullet proof cooler is however much less likely to fail even under such a condition desribed above due to a more robust re-design.

the stock egr cooler is weak in that it cannot tolerate the high pressures that occurre within it in the event of an oil cooler restriction during a steady state cruise egr flow cycle. it is very good insurance to test the oil cooler whenever an egr cooler failure occurrs. many non modified trucks have experienced an egr cooler failure while being used as one would normally use a light/heavy duty truck. this can only indicate that the stock egr cooler is defecient? the bulletproof diesel EGR cooler upgrade give those who are tired of the repeat failures an option other than to delete, or have the dealer install the same stock part with a proven record of failure. at the same time it allows you to remain emissions compliant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.