Diablosport Predator - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Diablosport Predator

I bought my truck about 6 weeks ago. It came with a new (still in shrink wrap) Predator Tuner. the seller told me that he never installed it since once he bought it, he heard it might cause warranty issues and the truck still has miles left to go on the engine warranty. He planned to install it after hitting 100k.

So, there it sits on my workbench, I have debated what to do about it. I have read on this forum that if I install it, it will either blow my heads or break my tranny or shrink my testicles or something else terrible.

I might just sell it - the truck seems to run very nicely without any tuning, but I would love a little more power.

I guess I just wonder how this thing works differently than other tuners - why for instance, the SCT (seems to be the hot one on this forum) wouldn't cause the same problems. Don't they all do more or less the same thing? Unless I am missing something here, they have to increase fuel delivery to make more power, right? So to burn the fuel, they have to do something to force more air in to engine so the fuel will burn.

I guess I can see that if different programming mods are written to the computer, this could make different result from one program to another.

I really have no preference, although the fact that I have this thing just sitting there in its box tempts me.

Can someone help me understand why this thing would cause the above problems, but the others don't?

Is there anyone out there who has first hand knowledge of a Diablo blowing heads or destroying a tranny?

This is my first diesel (well, since my family's VW Rabbit way back when) and I love it and already have several thousand excellent miles on it since I bought it. I want it to go lots more.

I have seen the reactions to this product, so immediately before I press the Submit button, I will don the flame suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I ran the predator for a while....still have it actually, I didnt like the shifting seemed to be alot of shift flare.
I dont think it was the predator that caused my head gaskets to go....I think it was lack of gauges and operator error.

If you are going to leave it on either the 40hp tow or the 60hp economy you should be fine to try it out.....If you still have your EGR cooler and no gauges I would take it easy while using the 100hp tune as egt can still get up there.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:54 PM

I think the major difference in the power creation is how it does it. With a custom tune they know to keep the cylinder pressures reasonable to keep from blowing the headgaskets out, while adding horsepower at the same time.

As for the trans tuning, that is the key to these trans holding up to any sort of power or abuse. They are not like older trans where you just put a valvebody and shiftkit in, it is ALL electronic, the clutch pressures and everything can be manipulated via tuning.

It is probably safe to slap it on and try it out for a few miles just to see what the power is like, but I wouldnt run it for any length of time. Get a set of guages and a custom tuned SCT and you'll be set!
Old 09-17-2009, 05:52 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
i totally agree with everything above. the main reputation with the diablo predator though is cooked headgasket problems. they are very useful for code reading though.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:26 PM

can a diablo be used to turn the egr off? thanks
Old 09-17-2009, 07:45 PM

Not that I'm aware of. It would take some custom tuning to make it work and I don't think it is offered for the diablo. The sct is the only one I know of for sure
Old 09-17-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubbockguy1979 View Post
Not that I'm aware of. It would take some custom tuning to make it work and I don't think it is offered for the diablo. The sct is the only one I know of for sure
yeah i didnt think they did custom tuning i was just wondering
Old 09-17-2009, 08:17 PM

subscribed - I wondered the same thing(s)...
Old 09-17-2009, 10:09 PM

They do not and will not turn off the egr.....for legal reasons I think
Old 09-18-2009, 10:04 AM

This is where the "cusrom tune" aspect comes to play.... And the offroad only use
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.