Trans tuning and Tire Revs per Mile - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trans tuning and Tire Revs per Mile

Ok, so I've been running Cale's 140 tune since May and I've loved it.

But I'd upgraded from 33" tires to 35's and bumped my tire rev's per mile down closer to what they should "mathematically" be...I had never measured my actual tire circumference, until today!

So, I thought my trans was getting worse on the shifting and actually just bought a spare used one for when it goes. I decided to measure out my tire's rolling circumference now that I was working on the truck and had spare time...

I put a piece of masking tape on the ground and a piece on the outside of the tire. I rolled forward watching my side spotter mirror until it was close, got out and checked it and it was one full rotation, marked spot on the pavement. I measured between the 2 peices of tape on the pavement and came up with 104" or 105" depending on which side of the tape I went to...Divided 63,360(thank god for google on the phone) by both and came up with 604.xx and 609.xx. So you can see that 1 inch does make a bit of difference. I went with the 610 on my tuner as thats what others have used with 35's and took it for a spin to the hardware store for a few things.

All I can say is that EVERYONE should do this when custom tuning regardless of stock tires or not, it made it shift 10x better and I was only off by 15 originally(595, then 590 as experiment) and it made if shift a lot better. Now I'm thinking my trans is probably fine after all, no shift flares and it even down shifts in non-tow/haul mode when it should!

According to a circle circumference formula I should be around 580 rev's per mile, but we can see that the measured 610 is much different...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2009, 05:00 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to chuckles
good to know, I'll check mine.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:37 PM

so even with custom tunes from cale, you can still go into to the sct and adjust the rev per mile? Can you adjust shift firmness to still. I thought all that was done when cale makes the tunes for you.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukcaln View Post
so even with custom tunes from cale, you can still go into to the sct and adjust the rev per mile? Can you adjust shift firmness to still. I thought all that was done when cale makes the tunes for you.
Yup I can adjust all of that. He mentioned when he was building mine with me standing next to the PC with him that he would "leave the adjustable tables in there" or something like that. So it might be an option he puts in there, not sure how that all works...

But yes, I can change rear gear ratio, speed limiter, tire revs per mile, idle rpm, governor rpm, the shift points, and the shift firmness for each shift. Only thing i've actually changed is the tire RPM...
Old 09-12-2009, 05:47 PM

Do you drive with the 140hp tune daily? I have it but the shifting was crazy hard.......
Old 09-12-2009, 05:59 PM

yep, been driving it every day since April! I tried the 65hp tow tune with turbo brake for a while, and it was really nice but the mpg of the 140 tune is a lot better...I actually drive in tow/haul a lot b/c the speed limits on base are 25mph and a stretch of 40mph for a few miles, it is a lot easier to drive in traffic like that...

Mine doesnt shift what I would call insanely hard, but I havent tried any other tunes to compare to...
Old 09-12-2009, 06:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
let eric send you a tune and i bet your trans will last you a LONG while
Old 09-12-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03f250stroke View Post
let eric send you a tune and i bet your trans will last you a LONG while
mine hasnt slipped a bit yet, I have full faith in Cale's tuning...
Old 09-12-2009, 07:37 PM

I have cales 140 tune, maybe I will try it again. I have erics ext race too. not tried it yet. not sure how daily driving will be with conv lock up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.