Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

KC Turbo RCSB Race Truck

9K views 56 replies 25 participants last post by  powerstrokecrzy 
#1 ·
Well we have been quietly working on this project for a long time... Its about time to start a thread on it. We are trying to get it ready to race this year in the super street class. I still want to drive the truck around so it is not a "dedicated" race truck. I really don't want to put a roll bar in it.

Truck started out as a regular cab long bed 2wd. We are going to stick with 2wd and leaf springs and see if we can get this truck to hook. We have had a lot of help/advice from other guys who have had good luck.

What has really pushed this project along is the guys down at Diesels and More. We talked about the project for a long time and they kept telling me to bring it down to them so we could get it moving... WELL... I finally brought the truck down to their shop and now they work faster than we can buy/afford parts. Their attention to detail is awesome. Everything is done right and clean. I can't say enough how great it has been working with them.

General Plans...

Suspension/traction:
Stock rear leafs with a couple removed
Caltracs traction system
1.5" drop in the rear
truetrac in the rear end
Slicks

Engine:
bored .040
Custom coated and delipped pistons with .080 valve reliefs
Hypermax rods
ARP 625s
Ported and oringed heads with upgraded valve springs
Upgraded lifters/pushrods
Custom build log style exhaust manifolds with dual wastegates
Cam??? RCD 3, WPE 3, Straubtech, Elite 2 (I still cant decide)
Intake??? More than likely WPE stage 3
Injectors??? Probably gonna start small to get the suspension dialed
Turbo??? Gonna start with a vgt and push it as far as we can, then probably jump up to triples/compounds
Nitrous: YES

Tranny/drivetrain:
Full billet warren transmission
Custom driveshaft

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is the truck before the frame was cut

Chopping away at the frame

Here you can see how much we took out

Here it is all back together. With guessets and painted

Wont be needing any of these

#4 ·
We put the short bed on just to see how it sits. We still need to install the 1.5" drop shackle in the rear. I love the regular cab short bed look. It was a lot easier to do the conversion than we had originally thought . I am tempted to find a smoking deal on another rclb and shorten the frame and make myself a very streetable 550hp daily driver. I wish ford would have made them like this from the factory.

#8 ·
Looking good.

#9 ·
Very cool!!

In for the progress...

#10 ·
Whats the goal for the truck- 1/8 or 1/4?
Do you have an ET set you want to hit with the VGT before going compound?

#13 · (Edited)
very nice, also interested in estimate 1/4 mile with this 2 door rig
Honestly we are going to have to spend a lot of time bringing our times down. I don't doubt that the truck will have enough HP to meet our goals. I think getting a 2wd 6000lb truck to hook at the track is going to be our biggest obstacle... especially for a newbie like me.

Our hopes/goals with the vgt is to be around 750-800hp on fuel only and spray it up to 1000hp just for fun.

Without a roll bar or cage we will have to stay above 11.5
If we add a roll bar then we can drop down to 11.0
If we want to race in the 10s then we need to add a full roll cage

Theoretically... assuming a 6000lb truck. We only need to make 750hp to make it into the 10s

I know it sounds stupid... but I have thought about just adding weight to the bed for racing down the track because I think we will quickly get to the point of needing a cage. AND I DON"T WANT ONE. I like the idea of a fun street truck that can still compete at the track. Once you start chopping it up and adding a full roll cage then it kinda ruins it for me.

#19 ·
I love the idea of a rcsb daily driver for just putting around. I say go for it. You won't be sorry.

Can't wait to see how this turns out! Your on the army, so I assume you know of matt's de-ranged truck, I'm sure he could give some advice, although he's not running leafs so maybe I'm just rambling for nothing lol anyway, good luck on this one!
Matt has been a great resource. I have asked him TONS of questions and he gets right back to me EVERY time. He is very knowledgable on the whole subject.

What injectors are you going to start with?

I am starting out with 205/100s because I have them here laying around at the shop. I won't need more than that at first because I am probably going to be dialing in the suspension on a lower HP tune.

I plan to eventually jump up to some 330/100 or 330/150 hybrids.

#16 ·
Can't wait to see how this turns out! Your on the army, so I assume you know of matt's de-ranged truck, I'm sure he could give some advice, although he's not running leafs so maybe I'm just rambling for nothing lol anyway, good luck on this one!

#18 ·
What injectors are you going to start with?

#20 ·
#21 ·
Well the race truck project has been moving very slow (going on almost 3 years since we started). It is hard to find time to work on it because everything has been so busy.

We are getting pretty close to having all the parts here and ready to go. We have been slowing buying what we need as funds allow for more parts. I also got screwed by a few people on some big ticket items... basically paid for them up front and now I will never see the parts. GRRRR... so that set back the project because I had to save up to buy those parts for the second time.

The interior is stripped and cleaned, now we are going to start putting it back together. I ened up doing a custom interiror. I got some seats redone with custom black leather katskins with purple stitching, new carpet, all new LED lights, a custom cluster, and a few other things. The interiror should look AWESOME

We should start putting the motor back together in the next few weeks, as soon as everything gets back from the powder coater. Not much has changed on the engine plans except we are going to be doing a 3 oring setup (2 in the head and 1 in the block)

I was very impressed with how the cluster. I highly recommend the company to anyone looking to spice up their trucks.
Black Cat Custom Automotive - Ford F250 F350 Excursion Gauge Faces

#24 ·
ehhh... I have thought about it. They have all "promised" to pay evnentually. Also all of them have pretty good sob stories, no one just "screwed me" just for the fun of it. All of them fell on hard times which makes me feel bad for them. I have been told that my "bleeding heart" will eventually put me out of business. I am such a sucker when it comes to sob stories.

The other problem (all my fault)... is most of these were "handshake" deals with no paperwork. I just gave them the money and trusted them. :doh:

#27 ·
Compounds FTW Charlie! Go big or go home.

Good luck bud. If there's anything you need for help or parts give me a ring. I'd be glad to help you out.

#29 ·
Thanks man. I am gonna rock out the VGT turbo for a while. Probably build some crazy turbo just because. I have plans for a 75mm duall ball bearing vgt LOL. We will see how that works.

Then I think I am going to jump to triples on this truck and skip compounds. (My DD is getting compounds).

#28 ·
I am mocking up my water to air intercooler setup. Until I go to triples I am going to keep a semi-stock looking engine bay... So I am thinking about mounting the water/air intercooler in the stock intercooler location. It fits fine with a little modification, but it will restrict an 18"x13" area (234 inches/squared)? How much do you think that will hurt the efficiency of the radiator 30x34.5 (1035 inches square)? 234/1035=22% So I am going to restrict about 22% of the surface area of the radiator. Anyone think that will be a problem going down the track? Truck will NEVER tow anything so I am not worried about those long climbs up hill.

#30 ·
I really don't think the water to air cooler in that location will have much of an effect, if any, for the radiator. Looks like you have pretty solid spacing so that 22% isn't just heat soaking. That's just my opinion.

Reactions: peixinho
#32 ·
It has been a long time since I updated this thread. Progress is so slow on the race truck. The biggest issues seem to be money, time, and waiting on parts once I actually have the money to order them LOL.

Truck got painted. I went with a bright white. It looks really good. The roll pan bumper turned out well.

The interior is coming along nice. We ripped out the vinyl flooring and ugly bench seat. We were going to run "racing seats" but I just like the stock OEM captain chairs too much. We went with a 2008 center console with 2007 seats redone with Katskin leather. Notice the custom purple stitching! The seats and center console look AWESOME!!!

I changed all the interior lights out to WHITE LED (including a/c and headlight switches). I also did a complete custom cluster with LEDs and black cat customs cluster face. I LOVE IT. The pictures do not do it justice. It is so crisp and clear in person.

#33 ·
I finally have the long block all put together. I decided on a black and polished aluminum look.
I ended up doing triple orings (2 in head, 1 in block). Black diamond head gaskets
The new ODAWG stage 3r intakes looks so good polished up.
Hypermax H beam rods
RCD stage 2 cam
Upgraded push rods
.040 pistons with delipped fuel bowl and valve reliefs
New promaxx heads
Upgrade valve springs
New Mahle valves

7E3CA78D-9933-430D-B312-25ECDC9DA5D2_zpsisrqt6vu.jpg Photo by chstfish | Photobucket

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.