Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

04 plugs + pistons in 03

724 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  bigevil6oh 
#1 ·
I'm hoping someone can help me clarify this. I'm rebuilding an early 04 from the ground up and I'm having a hard time finding the definitive answer to this question:

early 04 6.0L engine. I want to replace the 03 rigid glow plug harnesses when I replace the plugs as they tend to get brittle and worn out. I'm also installing new Mahle pistons which make the issue even more complicated as 03 plugs are 1.2mm too long and will contact 04 pistons.

So i guess the question is 2 fold:

1) Can I use the flexible OEM 04+ glow plug harnesses on the 03 in place of the old rigid harnesses?

2) And can I simply just use 04 plugs with 04 pistons in the 03 block?

FYI locating 03 plugs, harnesses, AND pistons are proving to be MUCH more expensive and the supply seems much more limited or I would just go that route.

For quick reference the 03 plugs are Motorcraft ZD12s and 04+ are ZD13s i believe.

#2 ·
I bought new glow plug harnesses for my 03 at the dealership for $40.....and they were the flexible ones....I honestly don't remember if that was an update or if I bought the later model ones. But I do know they worked fine on my 03, I can get you the part number to the ones I bought when I get home today.
As far as the piston clearance I can't answer that.....but your thinking seems logical to me.

#3 ·
That's good to hear. I guess that's half of the problem solved.

Anyone have any idea about the glow plug to piston issue between the 03 and 04?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.