Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

DIY Fuel System Questions

5K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  G8orFord 
#1 ·
Hey I got a question for you guys that have done your own fuel systems. Finally getting around to do mine. Looking at doing a beans sump, 6.7 pump, 6.7 filters, 6.4 oil filter housing, and aeromotive regulator. Roughly how much fuel line did you guys use and of what size? Also did you use the factory feed line as a return or not? I think I will be using -10 pushloc the whole way from tank to regulator. Then -8 pushloc out to the heads. Not sure if I should run -8 back the whole way or remove everything from the factory feed and seal it up with hose to run as a return. Probably will bend the feed out some in the tank when I do the sump. Thanks for any input.

#2 · (Edited)
Are the 6.7 pumps cheap cheap ? Seems like a lot of work putting all different parts in that don't fit. But I'm not familiar with the process.

I tossed in a ready to go Fass125 GPH Titanium with 5/8 suction tube in tank. Has its own 1/2" return into the tank and two filters on the pump. AirDog is comparable more or less though it can snap into the OEM lines if you so wish. Not sure there is any benefit if it's done that way tho.

What are the benefits of going the 6.7 pump way ??

#4 ·
Well with the injectors I'm running I believe I need more than just a better pump. The factory feed line is just to small. I need a complete fuel system. I can get a new 6.7 pump from Ford for $250. It will support anything I want to do and if it breaks and I'm out of town I can go to ford for a new one. Also from the other threads and talking to ford dealers this pump will be more reliable than most any aftermarket pump. Plus I can build a full fuel system for half the price of a pre fabricated one.

#5 ·
Junior that would be some good info. I may just measure and order a good bit more than needed. I have a dyno event coming up on Mar. 19th. and I am running out of time quick. Can't wait to put it on my race tune finally. Plus I have to put a clutch in my buddies Cummins by then also.

#7 ·
I am in the process of gathering parts for my pump project as well. I was gonna run -8an from sump, to pump to factory regulator and return to the top of the tank (factory feed fitting) and I estimated about 22ft of line will be needed. That was with some extra wiggle room for routing in the motor area. And I'll also be using 6.7 filters so I have to find a spot for that canister style one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 ·
I'm in the process of plumbing mine. I'm running -10an from the sump to the pump and then -8an. From what I've seen it's not a bad idea to run larger plumbing pre-pump.

#10 ·
#11 ·
Hey thanks everyone for the input. Gives me a pretty good idea of what I will need for the project. Between this and some decent measuring should give me a good overall length of the lines needed. Thanks Merc for more of the part numbers.

#14 ·
I will hopefully be ordering the rest of my parts today. So in the near future should start installing it. Will update as it goes.

#16 ·
Would you mind pointing me in the direction of a good relay kit to use. Gathering parts and I'm no electrical guru for sure

#18 ·
Well basically you just need a simple relay kit. You can do it cheaper by a little parting the wiring together but as cheap as the relay kits it is nice to get everything. Go to summit and type in relay kit. I bought the cheapest one with a nice plug and enough wire to reach the battery for less splices. Just need batt voltage, good ground (frame) and switched power (old pump power).

#19 ·
Thanks for that, I'll look.
BTW,which wire is the power on the plug? If you remember off hand. I can always put a meter on it once under there if you don't.

#22 ·
Well I got to be honest I didn't work on mine yet. Another problem popped up on the truck so fuel system got pushed back again. But if you want to pinpoint one the 6.7 pump doesn't draw more than 30amp which that's the kit I'm going with. But to recommend to someone else I usually go safe so if you get a 40amp kit with a nice plug on the relay you should be good to go. I was going to get a weather proof kit but I have had many normal relays under water without issue in my jeeps so I'm going with a cheaper kit and keeping an extra relay in the truck just in case. Hope that helps some. I tend to ramble on lol.

#24 ·
Charlie, you have the worst timing, or i do idk! Just bought all that 2 days ago

#26 · (Edited)
I am sure it is my bad luck... not yours LOL

Watcha' doin' now Charlie .
Well... I am afraid to post it for fear of getting bashed :(

I procrastinated getting my fuel setup together and now I need one by this weekend for a dyno event I am going to. I had basically everything needed except the fittings and lines. I wanted a very professional job. I went to a couple of local shops and tried to figure out exactly what fittings I needed to go together right, but with no luck. I could have put it all together with hose clamps but I don't want that on my truck... so... I went with the infamous Airdog because it was the quickest most complete setup that fit my needs. I am hoping the 4g has better luck than all the old units.

#31 ·
The only thing I don't like about my FASS is it is loud. It has been a lot louder lately and it finally dawned on me to change the filters. 30,000 mile filter change interval my azz! Changed them and it brought the noise level back down. Can't even hear the AirDog II on the wife's truck with the engine running.

Reactions: Heavy_GD
#32 ·
Well I got it installed last night... installation was fairly easy. They really include everything needed in the kit. Very professional.

IMO this thing is pretty noisy. I guess it is more of a "drone" and not necessarily "loud". It seems much louder than my a1000 I used to run.

Time to load up a race tune and see what she can do!

#38 ·
Those aeromotive setups are sexy, but man that's a lot of dough

Reactions: HP MACHINE
#39 ·
Well I finally got my truck running correctly and my fuel pressure is dropping to 30psi. Changed my tune back to more street tune till I can finally finish my fuel system. But finally happy with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.