Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

coolant filter suggestions

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Merc82 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a bypass coolant filter setup with a baldwin filter. Is there a better more cost effective filter option. What is everyone running?

Thanks

#3 ·
When I last purchased filters I got 2 Baldwin B5134 for $13.50 each.

#6 ·
Here you go.

Reactions: tritom45ca
#7 ·
I get Sierra 18-7845 Filters for $9.13. Maybe I'll look at what you guys are using.

#8 · (Edited)
Reactions: tritom45ca
#9 ·
Running the napa 4070 on my 03, don't have one on my 05.:doh:

#11 ·
You would need a high flow filter and mount. Something with 1/2 port should work as that's the smallest size on the coolant cooler I believe. Also some of our trucks (depending on the model) came with a valve just before the heater core to shut off coolant flow through the heater core when not in use. Essentially blocking off the flow until needed. So if you put in a bypass system before that valve like most of them are installed, with that valve closed, you still get flow through your filter and into the degas bottle.

If you do want to run your filter inline (providing it has proper flow) you can put a Wye/Tee after the filter, run one line to the valve and heater core, and one valve to a check valve and then to the degas bottle. When your heater/ MAX AC is turned off, the valve will close and the pressure will build enough to open the check valve and flow into the degas bottle. When you turn your heater/ MAX AC on, the pressure drops closing the check valve and you get max flow through the heater core as intended.

Note that if the heater or MAX AC are on, that valve opens running the coolant through the heater core.

Anyway just a thought, that's how I plan to set mine up.

#12 ·
Built my own, don't like the mounts most companies give you in their kits, they are flimsy. Got a filter mount and filter from Caterpillar and made my own bracket, and mounted it on the passenger side fender in the engine bay. The lines tie in before the heater valve and return to the degas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.