Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Switching Hot side pipes with Dual Alternators

13K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  Errick NDA 
#1 ·
Hey guys ive got a 05 F350 6.0 with dual alternators,im wanting to get a new set of CAC pipes. Either Sinister or MM polished ones. Does anyone even know if these guys make them for dual alternator trucks. From what im seeing none of these companies say they do or don't. I know the passenger side has crushed spot for access from the second alternator. Plus i want to get rid of the plastic pipe on the drivers side. Any suggestions ? I could go with a single set up to bring it to 1 alternator,but i know how picky these trucks are on there charging systems. There's been plenty of times all i did was clean cables and the other grounds and fixed issues with these trucks. And over the years ive replaced a ton of alternators on these trucks. Seems the dual alternator trucks hardly gave a issue with charging systems.

#13 ·
My buddy had the same problem with Banks. Hot side pipe would not line up - on a single alt truck. They sent him another one and same thing. He finally cut the pipe near the upper alt and used a bellowed boot for a while. Eventually the boot failed and he took it took a custom turbo place and they cut it again, re-indexed it, and tig welded it. Fits perfect now.

#6 ·
I'm putting on both sides with Mishimoto and they are beautiful..........I mean super D Duper Beautiful aluminum polished pipes. Great guys too. Give John a call or send him a message here on the forum.
There's a thread here now: Rubbing elbows with the 6.0 Mishimoto Powerstroke Intake Elbow R&D.

He can answer the alternator question for you.

Reactions: Errick NDA
#8 ·
I dispute that FWIW ;-) but not sure it has anything to do with this thread LOL

at startup one alternator is commanded to charge while the GP's run

after that they do there thing so they can both be charging they are not PCM controlled al the time like the 6.4 ( from what I gather )

From Ford The dual generator package consists of an Upper (Primary 140A) & Lower (Secondary 120A) generator system. The system is monitored and controlled by the PCM. The Upper & Lower generators are Not interchangeable.
Note: the PCM contols the lower generator by turning it off when the glow plug system is turned on to prevent possible damage (excessive votage) to the glow plugs. As soon as the glow plugs stop cycling the PCM will power up the lower generator.
The generators operate independently of the other. Control is through internal voltage regulators. If one generator fails, the other generator can maintain system performance under light load condition.

The batteries are hooked-up in parallel (positive to positive) with no isolator. The generators work together as a team and supply the necessary power as it is needed to the system.

#14 ·
I can tell you the dual alts both run, and the PCM does not randomly select which one to run. My upper is a TAD 190 and is wired with #2 welding cable to the passenger side battery. The lower is a DB Electric 200 amp unit that is wired to a 100 amp circuit breaker and goes straight to my Lance camper using a high amp charging circuit. It does not charge the truck. Best of both worlds!

#9 ·
Lol this is where I wish I had access somewhere or a full shop manual to get info like that because I've seen quotes like that now showing each "theory" is correct.

I was going to lead into that the OP could get rid of alt. #2 if he wanted to run the different hot side pipe without trouble, bringing it back to thread relevance lol

#10 ·
You just stick to polishing them lol

#21 ·
Yea but the Mishi's are so purdy.............

I'll have my shiny hot side in a few days. Man I may have to keep it clean under the hood for now on ???

#26 ·
Oh man.....ok Nick tell me how many hours it took to polish that stuff to where it is today.

John at Mishimoto sold me the hot side pipe with a full boot set for both sides for $175.00.
I guess the boots and clamps only come in a set so they shipped me all 4 with the pipe.
I saw that as pretty darn reasonable.

I will say you did a nice job, I sure hope you had access to a big power buffing wheel for that project. Like you see at a boot shop :)

#30 ·
When are you going to finish up that tailgate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.