Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

05 6.0 upgrade help

753 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  mhatlen 
#1 ·
My truck sits motor wise stock 65,000. I would like to eventually do a tuner and exhaust kit, as well as some upgraded injectors possibly. What would be recommended as far as a monitoring system? Would I have to bulletproof or can i avoid taking the heads off? Do I purchase a chip or a reprogrammer and what would I need to look for in an exhaust. Im fairly new to the 6.0

#2 ·
4" Exhaust all the way back, remove the cat converter if you can.
SCT Tuner go with a custom tune for no studs.
PHP Ficm tune " Atlas40 "
Edge makes great Monitors for trucks.

A aftermarket fuel pump is a good idea to keep injectors healthy

#4 ·
The SCT only tunes the ECM and since you don't have head studs get a good custom tune from WPE, PHP, TSD, Gearhead, Innovative, Quick tricks, etc. The FICM tune helps with throttle response and sometimes a little boost in MPG above what the SCT can give you. The fuel pump is to help keep your fuel PSI up incase your stock one can't keep up look at the 6.7 fuel pump install.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...iscussion/992922-my-6-7-fuel-pump-instal.html

#6 ·
These truck have several computers that control how they run, a FICM tuner only changes the FICM. An SCT tuner can only tune the ECM.

Since you haven't bulletproofed the truck with ARP head studs yet DO NOT put a bigger turbo or injectors in it, the stock injectors and turbo can blow a head gasket. I recommend that you get a custom tune from PHP, WPE, TSD, Gearhead, Quick tricks, etc because the included tunes were junk on my truck.

For an Exhaust do a 4in Turbo back and remove the catalytic converter if you can. I have an MBRP 3 1/2in downpipe to cat delete, then 4in to a 5in tip.

Before you go and start modding the truck get a monitor, I like the Edge CTS2 and it's much better than my old Livewire TS. Some like Torque pro or scan gauge but you can't add extra sensors to those like EGT, Fuel Pressure, etc. Other choose to go big rig style and use mechanical gauges.

#7 ·
If you were to do one thing to the truck I would make it the Atlas40 from PHP. That is a new flash for the FICM " fuel injection control module"
If you want another mod to help with free power go with the 4" turbo back exhaust. It will most likely be as Master Chase pointed out a 3-1/2" downpipe that goes up to 4" from there. You can special order a actual 4" downpipe from Magnaflow or Diamond but 99% of the 4" turbo back kits only come with 3-1/2" downpipe.

Together these 2 mods will net you 375 HP and much improved throttle response.

From there I honestly feel you need a monitor and then a coolant filter along with dumping the Ford Gold coolant into a toilet and replacing it with a ELC-1 coolant.

Ok I'm done here

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.