Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Just installed my EGT probe and have questions

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  mhatlen 
#1 ·
I just installed my EGT probe. I have BD exhaust manifolds on the truck so it comes with the appropriate hole to insert the probe. So at least I know it is installed in the appropriate area. I am using an SCT livewire to monitor all my numbers. I purchased the egt kit that works the SCT livewire so I'm hoping it's accurate.

So my question is I'm cruising around down the highway it appears my EGT's are around 700 between go in 60 to 70 miles per hour on flat land. Around town 450-550. Last time i jumped on it i was abojt 31 kbs boost with 1000 egt. That seems acceptable to me.

However whenever I hit a slight hill or need to accelerate it jumps up to about 1050-1250 really quick. It stays in that area it doesn't seem to get any hotter. Never seen over 1250 as of yet. And that was driving conservative through a small pass yesterday.

My concern is I'm leaving for a trip tomorrow and I will be driving through a larger mountain passes. I want to make sure if I'm in the throttle that sustaining around 1250 to climb a grade isn't too hot and will cause damage on my truck?

I'm running php economy tune on my ficm and wpe white street.

I have stock injectors, KC stage 2 turbo, 3 1/2" downpipe, 4 inch back straight exhaust,no cat no muffler, cold air intake, banks high RAM kit, fully studded with UCF oring heads, bletproof egr cooler, blah blah blah.

This is a 05'excursion 4x4 with 285/75-16 tires.

AM I ok? A little paranoid? Just want to make sure im ok as I dumped a ton of money this past year into the truck!

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
What are the RPM's and boost psi when you're hitting those EGT's?

#4 ·
No towing. Just an excursion filled with the family.

Not sure what the rpm was nor my speed. I just was paying attention to what the egt's were while driving .

I think I'm going to pull the ficm tune off the truck. I ran the atlas 40...love the throttle resonse! But super smokey on my truck. Even on start up she gives one big puff of smoke. Running the eco was ok... only a slight touch of smoke on start up.no smoke when I got on it. but didn't notice any difference than stock ficm programming. Starting times seem to be all about the same with or without tuning.

Guess I will pull the ficm tune off and run the truck and see what my numbers are on just the white street tune. Especially for the trip...peace of mind I guess. See if it helps egt #.

I feel that it might be over fueling with the combination of ficm tune and the White Street tune?

#5 ·
I don't think you're over fueling with the KC stage 2 and stock sticks. You might not have enough fuel and are running lean which would give you higher EGTs; just my opinion.

#6 ·
I'm no expert. I was just basing my assumption on how smokey the ficm tunes were running.

I drove through the passes tonight without the ficm tune and wpe white streel tune. While even pulling a big grade going about 70 mph and rpm around 2200rpm approx. Highest I sustained was 1150 egt.

With the ficm tune I noticed I was easily 150 deg. hotter cruising around town and easily 250 deg. hotter driving in the hills.

Does this make sense?

#7 ·
This is from Banks website. I know, I know, Banks, but I think the info is still good.

"So the big question is, what constitutes excessive EGT? If everything is working properly, 1250º to 1300º F. is a safe turbine inlet temperature, even for sustained running, mile after mile. Above 1300º F. things can start to get edgy. Remember, excessive EGT damage is cumulative. Over 1400º F., you're usually gambling against a stacked deck and it's only a matter of time until you lose. The higher the EGT, the shorter that time will be."
Banks Power | Why EGT is Important

From Truck Trend:

"For towing, we'd say 1,200 degrees is a safe number, with occasional spikes of up to 1,400 degrees when climbing grades being an acceptable risk."
The Truth About EGT - Diesel Power Magazine

Reactions: Qholic
#9 ·
FICM tunes do run a bit hotter; I run the Atlas 80 and running empty with my previous setup I did not see any significant rise in EGT. With the new setup 175/30s and KC stage 2 I'm seeing about 100 degrees warmer but nothing that I'm concerned about. One of the things that I did not think about in my first post is the altitude that you are running at may be the reason for your higher EGTs.

#10 ·
My truck is about in the same area ! If i stab it hard like getting on the highway the most ive seen is around 1100 tho...ive had other trucks here at the shop and it seems for what ever unknown reason they not consistent with each other. all of them are close tho....i know how there set up also plays a big part on what number you see...

#11 ·
High egt's are something that I fought with for a long time. One thing that I didn't see is anyone asking you were you live. I live at 6500' +/- depending if you take a left out the drive or a right. Elevation will just kill your egt's. I can very easily get to 1500+ with a good wot run. Ive had in laws come up from sea level and they as well saw a huge jump in temps.
The next thing that mad a big difference was a good set of boot's. I had what I thought were some functioning oem style boots, I swamped them out for a set of Riff Raff and this made the biggest change in the right direction.
Also the Atlas 80 for me was a game killer. I just could not run it, didn't even try to tow with it.

Reactions: john galt
#13 ·
this! alot of time when you start making more and more horsepower you fail to let the truck downshift like it would without the extra hp.
that causes high egts, due to low boost.

#16 ·
John I like the picture of the trees in the mountains. I am getting ready to install a EGT sensor along with a fuel pressure setup. I have lost 2 injectors from low fuel pressure and I really want to be able to keep a eye on both exhaust temps as well as the fuel pressure.
I have been running a Fass 125 GPH pump for almost 2 years now but only have a gauge on the pump itself. No sender just a 1/8" pressure gauge, I can see 60 psi at idle.......lol.

I see your comment on the POS Sinister parts, I had the same coolant filter myself. If you upgrade to the IPR setup you wont believe the crap it will catch as soon as you install it. No comparing a full flowing filter to one with a 3/32 orifice.
Well worth the money in my opinion.

Gotta love the mountain life, I'm only a weekend flatlander myself. At least that's what my neighbors call me.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.