towin turbo - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to zachs04250
towin turbo

i have a few mods done to better my truck but the next step is a better turbo and trans, i have the gold eagle clutch packs for the rebuild but i also want to get a triple disk tcc, but need to know what stall speed i need. so the question at hand is as for towing and wanting a hp/tq gane and a lower egt output what is a turbo to go with, to pull my 15k 5er
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2009, 10:33 PM

That's hard to answer.

Some things to consider. How much horsepower do you want?
Can your truck (not the engine) handle the increase?
The way you will use your truck will in part determine the turbo size and intercooler needs.
Your transmission and gearing will affect the performance of the turbo.
If big gains are your objective, you'll want to consider forged pistons and rods (unless you already have them).
Whatever you use, choose the smallest turbine wheel diameter that meets the horsepower you want.
Big turbos are great on the track when you are willing to sacrifice more turbo lag for power.
If it's street driving you do, the smaller turbos spool up quicker and provide all the power you need.
Don't forget about intercooler sizing.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to zachs04250
when i post thing on here i realy dont think you all read it in its intiraty, im looking for a lower egt output is my main goal for pulling my 15,000lbs 5th wheel and it will also be a daily driver. im keeping my stock trans w/ up graded clutch packs and tq converter, im looking at the arora 3000 or 4000 and also a couple fixed and varible turbo. im looking for a little insight and direction especialy from those who are set up in this fasion
Old 07-22-2009, 11:27 PM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachs04250 View Post
when i post thing on here i realy dont think you all read it in its intiraty, im looking for a lower egt output is my main goal for pulling my 15,000lbs 5th wheel and it will also be a daily driver. im keeping my stock trans w/ up graded clutch packs and tq converter, im looking at the arora 3000 or 4000 and also a couple fixed and varible turbo. im looking for a little insight and direction especialy from those who are set up in this fasion
The title of your post is "twin turbo", is that what you want, or was that just a hook? I am not tryin' to be a smart azz here either. I think the best advice I could give you is to contact Elite Diesel, Innovative Diesel or maybe Bean's Diesel and tell them what you want out of your truck and they can tell you what you need in the way of turbo upgrades. You will also need to think about an Intercooler upgrade and maybe a water/meth system.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to JWJR Send a message via Yahoo to JWJR
it says towin turbo as in towing turbo.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:12 AM
back in the saddle

I don't see any injector upgrades listed in the OP's list of mods. Honestly I don't believe you have a need for an upgraded turbo. The stock unit will do everything you need it to do. You've already got water meth listed, run straight water or at the most a very small meth content and you're EGT's should be good. Don't tow heavy with a big file, stock or very near stock tuning is best pulling 15k. An aftermarket I/C like Banks technicooler or a Spearco will help some, but you'll see an even bigger drop in temps with the water than you will with an I/C.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:20 AM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJR View Post
it says towin turbo as in towing turbo.
You are absolutely right. I miss read. Please accept my apologies.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

like said above, unless you get a bigger set of injectors theres no need for a towing turbo. the stock vgt works great with injectors up to 190. you will see the least anount of lag with it and with a good tow file, EGTs shouldnt be an issue. a better upgrade might be a mild set of injectors, mabye 155cc or so. after you get those, then you can get a 62 or 64 mm turbo and get better performance
Old 07-23-2009, 07:44 AM

I posted

the bit that I did, as a form of help. You did state you would be towing, but you also said you were looking for more horsepower and torque, plus to lower your EGT.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:54 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'd pm Tex25025. All he does is tow, and has his truck 'set up' jus tfor that. He's pretty knowledgable too

He had talked with me about getting a Aurora 3000, but decided to go with a Hybrid turbo from RCD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.