Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

My Redemption Build

146K views 717 replies 81 participants last post by  toren302 
#1 · (Edited)
Well some of you might have followed my last build thread/failure... I had a TON of problems with that truck. Just about anything that could have possibly gone wrong happened twice LOL. I won't go too much into detail but it was unbelievable all the issues I ran into that set the build back. Well I finally decided to give up on that cursed truck and start a WHOLE NEW project.

I decided to take the same advice that I give to everyone else when they are looking for a good deal on a 6.0. INSTEAD of paying $15,000-18,000 for a good clean low mileage 6.0 that still needs a ton of work and bullet proofing. I picked up a clean 2003 ccsb 4x4 for $5,000 with a blown motor and now I can fix it up just how I want it.

I am hoping to build a mid 600hp truck that can still tow max weight with ease. I also want it to ride like a new truck.

Here are my plans so far.

205/30 KC built injectors
Stage 3 WPE intake manifold
No Limit fab cold air intake
CF upgraded intercooler
Rudy's CAC tubes
T500 HPOP
bored .040 pistons with valve reliefs and de-lipped fuel bowls
decked the block .005 to make sure it is dead flat
Billet Colt Stage 2 cam
Upgraded lifters
Rudy's billet push rods
ARP 625s
Fully built Oring heads, hardened valve seats, 6.4 exhaust valves, new injector cups, and upgraded valve springs
FelPro headgaskets
EGR Delete
MBRP ypipes
Andy Warren comp tranny
New tie rods, ball joints, drag link, and pitman
Upgraded Redhead steering gear box
New ujoints
New carrier bearing and balanced driveshaft
Traction bars
2007 bumper, headlights, and grille swap
BPD upgraded water pump
BPD 6 phase FICM 58v FICM
BPD billet oil filter, fuel fitler, and oil fill caps

I have been quietly working on this build for months and already have most of the parts. There are only a few details left to work out. I am hoping to get it up and running over the next few weeks.

I plan to spend a lot of time testing turbos once I get the truck done.

I am hoping to REDEEM myself from my last horrible build.

See less See more
#2 ·
I love the idea... especially since it sounds like a good dual purpose truck.

#4 ·
Any plans for suspension work? Looks good man. Excited to see how this one turns out!

#7 ·
For right now I am just doing all new front end parts with new bilstein shocks all the way around. I will have traction bars in the back. I don't think I am going to swap over to coil springs because the leafs don't really bother me much.

I might look into a better riding set of leaf springs if the ride is too harsh.

#5 ·
What r u gonna run for a fuel system?

#8 ·
Well I already have the parts sitting here for an A1000, new filters, and WPE regulated return. But I am not 100% decided yet.

I was thinking about doing the 6.7 pump swap... I like the idea of being able to stop by a Ford Dealership anywhere in the country and pick up a new pump if I was in a bind. The 6.7 pump also flow plenty of fuel for what I am going to be doing.

I personally don't like too much "crap" under the hood. I was thinking about using some hard lines to feed both the front and back of the heads and use the stock reg return and fuel bowl system... I know... crazy... but I think it would do just fine. I would run the hard lines down the valley and you would not even know they are there. There are 7.3 guys doing a similar setup and it flows plenty of fuel.

#9 ·
If I was to build a truck over again I would take the same approach. Solid looking build.

Reactions: peixinho
#10 ·
Would love to see some pics as you're doing this.

I vowed that one of these days when my budget allows, I will do the same thing. Build it the way I WANT....

Congrats....

#12 ·
I am going to keep the wheels and tires the same for right now because they are brand new (even though I think it needs bigger rims), I am going to upgrade to 2008 mirrors, and change the front clip... but I am torn between a few different color combos... maybe you guys can help.

Here are the three choices

#13 ·
I really like grill #3 with the Harley head lights. Exactly what I'm planning to make mine look like but dark blue.

It just needs a light bar or fogs in the center bumper hole.

#14 ·
#2 is pretty sweet!

#16 ·
I say dare to be different and go with chrome and have some custom whitewalls made for a 60s throwback :rofl:

Subbed in for this build and your last one was definitely NOT a failure......look at everything you learned and taught us along the way....that's gotta count for something. I'm curious as to how yours goes because I've been planning a build with similar goals now.

#23 ·
I say dare to be different and go with chrome and have some custom whitewalls made for a 60s throwback
But.....don't forget the curb feelers!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

#17 ·
Hands down #1

#21 ·
Ya :eek:hnoes: kinda like a 6.4... but without the cracking piston problem, lack of lubrication on the top end that tends to eat up the rockers, NO SUPER expensive fuel system, No DPF, no oil dilution problems, etc... Oh and for about 10-15k less money

Basically the 6.4 has all the same issues that needs to be address just like the 6.0 once you get into the mid 600hp range if you want it to be reliable... egr delete, oil cooler, studs, built tranny, turbo, pistons, cam/lifter issues, studs etc.

So ya... kinda like a mid 600hp 6.4 but more reliable and cheaper :haha:

#22 ·
subscribed.... This should be good.:thumb:

#24 ·
I am starting to put the motor back together and snapped a few pics

Here are some pics of the Colt stage 2 billet cam installed. Honestly I might have gone a different route and looked more into all the other options on the market... but there was a group buy last year that I jumped on and most everyone is impressed with the Colt Cams.

I think anyone who goes this deep into the motor is crazy not to install a new cam. There is just so much upside when it comes to power and reliability of getting rid of the stock cam.

New .040" overbore pistons with de-lipped fuel bowls and .040 valve reliefs and .005" taken off the top to account for decking the block. I had my machinist do them and I think they turned out great. Most guys cut much deeper valve reliefs like .060-.120" deep for cams that require it. The colt stage 2 does not "require" valve reliefs but neither does the stock cam and they still kiss pistons so I added a little extra added insurance. I was a little afraid of lowering compression too much but after figuring the larger .040 pistons I should be just a little under stock, but not enough to cause ANY starting issues. I was calculating around 17.0-17.5:1 comp ratio

#25 ·
so jealous......

#26 ·
Have you seen a different cam that is more appealing?

I like what you did with the pistons.

#28 ·
Were you looking at static or running compression? What made you do those gaskets? I have had the FELPRO's in the shop since they came out waiting for mine to let go or when I get injectors and turbo. Can't wait to see how this build works out. Almost the same setup i plan on doing, but with some spray!

#32 ·
You just went right over my head... I spoke with a lot of guys much smarter than me and used a couple of calculations to determine the compression ratio, not how much compression I have. Is that what you were asking?

I also have a set of the fle-pros sitting here and still not completely sold on them. The pushrod guide holes and slightly thicker crush ring is not enough to make me switch yet. I also think with ringed heads it becomes a moot point. My 6.4 is going back together with the BD gaskets and Stg2 RCD cam. The W/S 6.0 motor we are building for a member on here (6.0stroker) is also going with the Stg2 RCD and BD gaskets. The RCD cam is "supposed" to have different lift and duration then the colt. I have no Idea if either is better or not.

Are you trying to runt he 205/30's on a single stock HPOP system Charlie? Also this reminds me I need to PM you about a turbo for this W/S truck :wall:

Edit: Also why NOT have the pistons coated since your going this far into her?

I am going to run 205/30s on a single pump. I will NEVER run dual hpops for a daily driver again.

I was going to have them coated... but I am running out of time. I am hoping to drive the truck to the SEMA show in a few weeks so I am going to have to skip a few things. I am going to start putting the motor back together this weekend.

I am still not 100% set on the felpro gaskets. I have to make sure they line up with my orings correctly... if not felpro then I will use black diamond. I was very impressed by the BPD write up on the differences and wanted to give felpro a shot.

#29 · (Edited)
I also have a set of the fle-pros sitting here and still not completely sold on them. The pushrod guide holes and slightly thicker crush ring is not enough to make me switch yet. I also think with ringed heads it becomes a moot point. My 6.4 is going back together with the BD gaskets and Stg2 RCD cam. The W/S 6.0 motor we are building for a member on here (6.0stroker) is also going with the Stg2 RCD and BD gaskets. The RCD cam is "supposed" to have different lift and duration then the colt. I have no Idea if either is better or not.

Are you trying to runt he 205/30's on a single stock HPOP system Charlie? Also this reminds me I need to PM you about a turbo for this W/S truck :wall:

Edit: Also why NOT have the pistons coated since your going this far into her?

#30 ·
Heck yeah coating is cheap compared to what you already have in pistons. My one for one stud job is holding out so i guess i'll get to see how they do for charlie and go from there.

#37 ·
Sooo... what turbo are you gonna start with to pair with the 205/30's? :poke

Reactions: 323flint
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.