Does anbody regret buying a tuner? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 03:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does anbody regret buying a tuner?

I was just wondering if any of you regret buying a programmer/tuner for there truck.

I'm nervous about purchasing one after reading some threads on here. Some have had great success with awesome power gains and no troubles. Others seem to be having major problems setting them up, wrecked trannys or have had serious motor problems after.

I'm sure a lot of it is from abuse or wrong tunes for there truck but do any of you wish they never changed the PCM?

Thanks for your input...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

With a 6.0 you never know. I scored an engine with the SCT tuner but my brothers stock 6.0 blew the HG's at 86K miles and my sisters stock 6.0 blew the HG's at 38K miles. If you want your 6.0 to last and get the most reliability out of it I would leave it stock.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005F250 View Post
If you want your 6.0 to last and get the most reliability out of it I would leave it stock.
I agree. 100 percent! (with the exception of an EGR delete and Studs)
Old 07-16-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosMan View Post
I was just wondering if any of you regret buying a programmer/tuner for there truck.

I'm nervous about purchasing one after reading some threads on here. Some have had great success with awesome power gains and no troubles. Others seem to be having major problems setting them up, wrecked trannys or have had serious motor problems after.

I'm sure a lot of it is from abuse or wrong tunes for there truck but do any of you wish they never changed the PCM?

Thanks for your input...
Just don't buy used. go new
Old 07-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005F250 View Post
With a 6.0 you never know. I scored an engine with the SCT tuner but my brothers stock 6.0 blew the HG's at 86K miles and my sisters stock 6.0 blew the HG's at 38K miles. If you want your 6.0 to last and get the most reliability out of it I would leave it stock.
The SCT didnt score your engine Adam. Its impossible. Programming cant do that. Only poor maintnence and Improperly done work can do that. I've said it before and will say it again. You and your family need to find a new tech I bet your problems will go away
Old 07-16-2009, 04:06 PM

Getting an SCT tuned by ID is the best thing I have done to this point. I had the same mind set as you do now, If I get a tuner I will have nothing but problems ( WRONG). In stock form I had all of the usual problems when towing, the motor just works so hard trying to tow the heavy loads. It is a night and day difference towing with a solid tow tune. The truck can climb grades in OD as to having to down shift, EGT's are cooler, as well as the transmission. Granted I did add head studs got rid of the EGR system and put updated parts on the HPOS.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:21 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you buy a tuner and expect to run the snot out of it you are asking for trouble. If you want the truck to last take some precautions prior to hard use to protect the motor.

Oil bypass filter kit (Keeps the fluids clean)
Coolant filter kit (Ditto)
Mod the EGR up-pipe (AT A MINUMUM!!)
Fuel system upgrades (As needed)

Post tuner upgrades:
Studs (ONLY when you are certian you have lifted the heads, not always the case when puking occurs)
Old 07-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The only thing I regret is not doing it sooner
Old 07-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Smoke Eater

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to fdchief
im with goose on this one
Old 07-16-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The SCT didnt score your engine Adam. Its impossible. Programming cant do that. Only poor maintnence and Improperly done work can do that. I've said it before and will say it again. You and your family need to find a new tech I bet your problems will go away
It's serviced every 3K to 4k miles and I got the records to prove it and it got scored between the time it got studded and 7K miles afterwards. I ran the SCT after it got studded and as for the other trucks (6.0) they are running fine. The mechanics that work on our 6.0's also work on our 7.3's and other gas vehicles and those ones just have had minimal repairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.