Turbo Lag? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 08:24 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Lag?

I am new to the 6.0Ls. I purchased a 2007 F250 a few months ago. It already has a k&n air intake and a 5 inch magnaflow exhaust with a 4 inch downpipe. When taking off the turbo is very slow to spool up. What is the safest way to fix this. I am not a big fan of programmers because I have not had good luck with them. Thank you for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You might consider getting rid of the K&N fillter. Ive been told about the only thing a K&N filter will stop is a a humming bird. How much lag are you talking about?
Old 07-13-2009, 08:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Getting rid of the Cat & Muffler made a big difference in the turbo lag on my truck, but adding the tuner made a huge difference.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:49 AM

Is a good 3-4 seconds before it starts to take off. I have heared that k&n arent very good. Do you know if I could just buy a filter from airaid or aFe, so I dont have to buy a complete intake?

Last edited by RobertCgdll; 07-13-2009 at 08:54 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-13-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
Getting rid of the Cat & Muffler made a big difference in the turbo lag on my truck, but adding the tuner made a huge difference.
I thought on a 6.0L you could not straight pipe them? My buddies dad did that to his 2004 and the turbo went crazy. What programmer is the safest? I dont want to have to drop a 5000 dollar tranny into it.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:11 AM

Your stock are filter is actually very good. I think you do not need an after market filter until your pushing close to 500 hp or above. With out other mods after market air is a waste. It might make you fell better though, wont really do much. My truck has exhaust and tunner, I still experiance 1 to 3 sec delay before full turbo, i thought that was normal. for a quicker launch at a light you can hold brake and spool the turbo if you must.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:12 AM

ive had my truck straight piped for a while now and it works just fine. a lot of guys have straight piped trucks on here
Old 07-13-2009, 12:16 PM

Ive heard that getting a straight up pipe will help with turbo lag also
Old 07-13-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCgdll View Post
I thought on a 6.0L you could not straight pipe them? My buddies dad did that to his 2004 and the turbo went crazy. What programmer is the safest? I dont want to have to drop a 5000 dollar tranny into it.

SCt with custom tunes is the only way to go. With proper tuning your transmission is alot tougher than what most people can put the truck through. Also cyllinder pressure can be kept with in the range of stock headbolts. the turbo needs more fuel to spool quicker and a custom tuned sct is probibly the safest way to do this. I have innovative tunes and an innovative tuned ficm, there is no turbo lag and the ficm tuning helped alot with this. I dont think a straight pipe will cause a turbo to go crazy there had to be other issues first because there is no need for any backpressure after the turbo. I have never had an issue with mine and there has been a cat and muffler gove for almost 30000 miles now
Old 07-13-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbaldbob View Post
You might consider getting rid of the K&N fillter. Ive been told about the only thing a K&N filter will stop is a a humming bird. How much lag are you talking about?
i have the k&n FIPK on mine and it helped tremendously with turbo lag then i got the x3 and theres hardly any
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.