Does using a chip cause increased wear and tear on your engine? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does using a chip cause increased wear and tear on your engine?

I am looking at installing an Edge programmer to increase my fuel economy. I have an 06 F-350 Fx4 with KN cold air intake and 5" Silverline exhaust. I plan on using it mainly on the fuel economy mode and occasionally switching to performance tow to pull my bobcat. I have been told that adding a chip woll cause all sorts of engine problems. I was wondering if using a chip causing increased wear and tear on the engine. I thought that the only problems came when using the high performance, kick *** settings on a regular basis. Thank you for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2009, 12:43 PM

edge might cause major wear and tear but sct with custom tunes wont!
Old 07-12-2009, 01:00 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Well obviously if you add power you are adding stress. Just be smart about it. You can run these engines pretty hard with not much issues. I would worry about head gaskets though being as you have a 6.0. Edge is not really tuned well for stock head bolts, get an sct with custom tunes that keep cylinder pressures low to help preserve your gaskets, otherwise get some head studs, which i would do anyway.

Edge is also notorious for trashing transmissions.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Premium Member

I have the Edge on my truck and it has a ton of safety precautions on it. As long as you aren't abusing the extra power and are using it the way it's supposed to then you should be fine.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i have the edge on my truck, for almost 2 years now. i have left it in the extreme mode all the time and havent had any trouble. i seem to get the most mileage from the extreme with a lite foot.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

In my experience a big problem with tuners is there interaction with the EGR system. The added fuel in turn causes more soot (unburnt fuel) if not matched with enough air (turbo) and the soot makes it way through the EGR cooler to the EGR valve to the intake manifold and finally through the exhaust valves and onto the VGT vanes. It has to be a good combination of tuning, air intake, exhaust, and fuel delivery to keep from causing performance problems down the road. It's all about calculations and the big picture.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
I have no data on the edge. I personally run the SCT but with that I use the highest tune that I have as my daily tune and get the best fuel mileage as long as I can be lite on the fun pedal. I also agree that studs are a good idea and if you are going to use a shop other than the dealer to install the studs might as well delete or at least block off the EGR while they are in there.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I was looking at the SCT's with the custom tunes from outlaw. Is the only difference between the X-cal tuner and the livewire the monitor? I would like to have a monitor but if I can get the same performance for less without it I might do that and add a monitor later. So the SCT tuners are much more engine and tranny friendly than the Edge's? I've had several diesel trucks for my business but this is the first I've had as a personal vehicle and I want to customize it a little bit. I just want it to last me a while too...
Old 07-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Also from a performance standpoint does blocking off the EGR valve do the same a delete kit? Its much cheaper and it is something I want to do soon...a friend of mine is a ford mechanic and he said he'd install it for me for free...
Old 07-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Blocking off the valve is not the same. The EGR cooler, if not bypassed, can still potentially fail and cause coolant contamination as well as add heat to the cooling system if it becomes clogged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.