I've had three 7.3's and now with the 6 I have questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've had three 7.3's and now with the 6 I have questions

Just like the title says, I've had three 7.3's and all have had a TS Performance programmer. This time I want to go a different route with a programmer for the 6.0L. I TOW HARD AND I MEAN HARD so keep that in mind. I've heard the bash stories about Banks, but I REALLY LIKE the idea of having the safe guard system for the engine and tranny. The Banks claims to make 120 RWHP and 230 RWTQ and if not then show me the link to the facts. Everything that I read on here says that the SCT is the best. If the SCT is the best I'm confused is it the best with the SCT tune or a custom tune from another company? If another company has the best tune, then which company and why is their tune the best??

Thanks, Young
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

its really all about the 'tuner', the guy that takes all your engine mods, tire size, etc. and writes the custom tune for your truck. i think most will agree the SCT products are the best custom tuneable programmers out for the 6.0. one 'tuner' might have a little different setting on the parameters here and there, but overall a custom tune is far superior to a canned tune. i've got a custom 'torque tow' tune when i need it. go with eric or cales tunes and you'll be set.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:20 PM

d i t t o's ..........
Old 07-05-2009, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNG View Post
I've heard the bash stories about Banks, but I REALLY LIKE the idea of having the safe guard system for the engine and tranny. The Banks claims to make 120 RWHP and 230 RWTQ and if not then show me the link to the facts.
There are no true safe guards on the Banks system. First off, it's not a tuner it's an inline fuel module and you might have been able to get away with that "stuff" on the 7.3, you can't get away with it as easily on the 6.0. Inlines are known to be hard on 6.0 headbolts and trannies, because they don't properly tune the 6.0(see next paragraph).

Second, it really doesn't program the truck, it fools the sensors into making more power. Shift on the fly "stuff" is mutually exclusive from programming the truck's computer. You can't have shift on the fly while programming the ECM and/or TCM because they both have to be rebooted(key cycled on and off) for the changes to take affect.

Third, those RWHP and RWTQ claims are averages. I'm willing to bet you put that "stuff" on my truck with the weight that it is and it won't get that high of rating.

Fourth, if you ever want to do more mods down the road, custom tunes will allow you to make those changes without having to get a new tuner, can't say the same for Banks and Banks already costs alot of money.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So it def. sounds like the SCT with a custom tune is the way to go. Who does everyone recommend for the custom tune?
Old 07-05-2009, 09:10 AM

ya a custom tow tune will do the best for you. have a 7.3 and had a banks chip and i was very unhappy with it. i would start to pull the power away at 2200rpm and and before red line you would have less power then stock.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:37 AM

in your case i would get a aggresive tow, extreme street, and extreme race for having fun. you can also use the canned tow tune if the aggressive is too much. i would get the tunes from eric at innovative. he seems to know these motors very well and will tune it to your likings.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does anyone run a PPE (Pacific Performance Engineering) tuner? My buddies with Duramax's all run them and they make big power. On PPE's wedsite they show that they make some big numbers for Powerstrokes.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNG View Post
Does anyone run a PPE (Pacific Performance Engineering) tuner? My buddies with Duramax's all run them and they make big power. On PPE's wedsite they show that they make some big numbers for Powerstrokes.
It's not just about big numbers, but how those big numbers are achieved. If they are achieving those numbers by increasing cylinder pressure, then you're going to have some issues depending on how you drive it and if you use the higher settings.

Also, it's not custom tunes, which means a portion of those tunes might not "work" well with your driving style or your truck as they are not strategy specific like custom tunes are.

You also have to remember what works for one brand doesn't necessarily mean that it will work for another. Hell what works for the 7.3 doesn't really work that well with the 6.0, so you can have issues within brands on certain products as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.