Urgent, porting advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Urgent, porting advice

Guys my motor is days away from assembly and I am still going back and forth about porting the heads......will it make enough difference to warrant the cost or should I stay away from porting them? If ported, will they cause any long term issues? Looking for some advice please...... I know you 6.0 guys will help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

porting always helped everything ive ever done.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to nccatfan
How much are they charging? Actually not sure how a forced induction engine will take to porting (aka. gasket matching). I've ported a 5.9 Cummins once. Figure anything that'll make air flow better is an improvement. One thing I would do, tho, is chamfer the heads (shave/round off any sharp edges), that'll help reduce chances of cracking.

If you'll let me speculate, I'd guess it would help bring down EGT's. If not that, then it'll help turbo response time, quicker spooling. Streamline the exhaust flow out of the engine. It's all about making the engine able to "breathe" better.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:21 AM

That is what I wanted to hear, was will it help the forced reduction. I have heard of ported heads not increasing HP but helping spool up and lower egts, but not alot lower. I thought od porting the exhaust side and intake manifolds will be better. But do I even port the exhaust side. My other way of thinking was this, I am only looking for a high of 550hp. I know alot of trucks out there running 500-550 with out ported heads. So is it worth it............
Old 07-02-2009, 06:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to nccatfan
It's certainly possible to find 500+ HP without doing the head-work. Tho, I'm more the "while you're there" kinda guy. I think it would be more beneficial to gasket-match the exhaust side, but if you do one side you may as well do them both, right? Your call, if you're happy with 550hp I'd leave it alone since I doubt you'd see the performance you'd want for the $ it would take to do this.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to Sins4u33
just remember if you decide to port the heads yourself, this isn't a gas motor, you don't want that rough look to the ports, smoother the better, all that's flowing thru that head is air, not fuel like a gas motor. We dont need to help the mixture of fuel and air in this situation. Best of luck and porting the heads is never a bad idea, i would gasket match everything too while your at it.

Ben Y
Old 07-02-2009, 07:36 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I vote to port them. Not gonna cause any damage to the heads. Only going to make performance improvements. At least port to match gaskets.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:26 PM

port!!! but dong get trigger happy
Old 10-04-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nccatfan View Post
How much are they charging? Actually not sure how a forced induction engine will take to porting (aka. gasket matching). I've ported a 5.9 Cummins once. Figure anything that'll make air flow better is an improvement. One thing I would do, tho, is chamfer the heads (shave/round off any sharp edges), that'll help reduce chances of cracking.

If you'll let me speculate, I'd guess it would help bring down EGT's. If not that, then it'll help turbo response time, quicker spooling. Streamline the exhaust flow out of the engine. It's all about making the engine able to "breathe" better.
you know there is a difference in "porting" and "gasket matching". Porting involves getting the entire port.. Gasket matching is just opening up the end of the ports the match the gasket size then tapered into the rest of the port
Old 10-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
For my money I wouldn't bother for 550hp. I'd run a gogo intake which is a major restriction and will give you a good gain in flow. You can gasket match yourself and if I had lots of time on my hands I might consider that but there is very little to be gained by it. A Powermax with a Batmowheel and 190's will give you close to 600 hp without breaking a sweat, especially with a gogo intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.