Is it safe to run Xtreme tunes in Summer? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 11:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is it safe to run Xtreme tunes in Summer?

Well right now here were i live were hitting 105 degrees all day, so my question is: Is it safe to run such a hot tune on hot days like these. I noticed my truck starting to get hot, on my dashdaq it was showing temps up to 230 degrees!!! i was doing a bit of uphill driving. On a level road i hit about 200 sometimes 205. I was kind of thinking maybe my egr cooler was going bad. Any info would be great guys, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009, 09:07 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
a hot tune isnt really gonna affect your water and oil temp that much, I would personally say there is no problem running a race file.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:29 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
subscribed..... im hitting about 200-205 water temp and 160-162 trans temp. Its a 100 here in south GA also.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to Nally7.3Powerstroke
You should be fine as long as you arent hammering on it all the time
Old 07-01-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrannan19 View Post
a hot tune isnt really gonna affect your water and oil temp that much, I would personally say there is no problem running a race file.
I disagree. I have run same terrain, in same ambient temps, same loads, same speeds, anything that I could control I maintained it as close as I could and the only difference(that I could control) was the file that was on the truck(mainly did this when I was trying to learn everything with the different tunes and figure out when to use or not use tunes etc). There was a significant difference in water and oil temps based off of that. I'm not talking one or two degrees, I'm talking the difference between 195 and 210 for water(I only had ECT at the time, i would imagine that if everything was working right that EOT would follow ECT ~15 degrees).
Old 07-01-2009, 11:41 AM

^^Yeah the hottest it got was 232 ect and 237 eot, turned that a/c off and put the heater to full blast!!!!! That helped lower the temp alot. So im gonna load up my xtreme street or even stock file and see how it runs with those. I was driving as easy as i could up a hill, 55mph if that, had to downshift to keep the egt's from climbing. My tranny temp reached 195!! Never had i seen that. So that got me worried for a while. Good thing it was only a short hill. (was going to taft). So i am thinking that these hot tunes do add to the temp rising of the engine and fluids.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviusdragger View Post
My tranny temp reached 195!! Never had i seen that. So that got me worried for a while. Good thing it was only a short hill. (was going to taft).
You wanna see tranny temps raise quickly? Hookup about 5k in horse supplies(feed, hay, shavings etc), 93 ambient, street tune and put it in tow/haul mode going on a 3% grade and it'll hit 197 real easy for in about 3 miles. Soon as you hit a flat area, take it out of tow/haul mode and it'll shoot down to 180 in about 4 minutes(I love the trans cooler on these things).
Old 07-01-2009, 12:23 PM

I am in phoenix which is definately hotter than it is there and I agree with Abrannan19.... the oil and water temps are not effected by the tune... if you drive with your foot to the floor all the time, then the fact you are making more power, you are creting more heat... so if you just play occasionally and drive normal the rest fo the time... give your truck time to cool down and give it time to warm up.... you will be perfectly fine running the tune you want....

I was just playing with my hot tune yesterday... I have to say DAMN!!! it was quick... but I was spraying water/meth too so I wasnt getting too hot...
Old 07-01-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunesRunner08 View Post
the oil and water temps are not effected by the tune...
Trust me, they are. I can give you another example. Matt's old Stock + winter tune that he used to write for the SCT(I don't think he has one for his new tuner, or let's just say I don't have it if he does), anyway, it would get me up to operating temp in 11 minutes, driving 40 mph(for almost all of that time) and in ~20-25 degrees. Not even the hot tune driving like that would have gotten it up to operating temp that quickly, unless I was on the interstate, it would take me ~25 minutes in that same temp. going same speed.

Tunes do dictate ECT and EOT temperatures, I always have had higher operating temps on average with the hybrid race tune versus my towing tune.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:11 PM

Well i need to give my tranny a flush an see how it does then, but im gonna go out and load up the stock tune right now and see how it does for temps right now. i have a 30 min commute so in that commute i would see temps on the highway at 190~205 range in this hot a$$ temp!!! so ill report back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.