River City Diesel EGR delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
River City Diesel EGR delete

I did alot of looking around... Don't really see too much feedback on their kit. I just ordered one off ebay and i can't wait to check it out. I have 150000 on my truck so far and have replaced the cooler once. I am in dire need of cleaning the turbo vanes so I figured I'd do it all at once. Plus the price of the delete is about twice the cost of the cooler (wish I would have done it when it first went out), then you gotta figure in the $600 in labor i paid for the first replacement.
Has anyone actually installed this kit? How long does it take to put it in? I'm gonna wrench on it myself this time. I may even take a bunch of pics and do a write-up on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to 05charcoal6.0
I'd like to see some feedback on this kit also. It looks really well built and it sounds like they know how to stand behind their product.But if anyone else has opinions itd would help out Sorry to
Old 06-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I bought the kit and am in the process of installing it, It is very nice looking and high quality kit. I am installing it along with head gaskets and studs so Ill let you know what i think when its all done.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Premium Member

Mine should be here by the end of the week. Let me know how yours goes... Especially any tips/tricks to installing it..
Old 06-30-2009, 08:05 PM

Rcd sends a packet of instructions and pictures with the delete kit that explains how to do it without removing the intake if thats how you want to go about it. They are really great guys and if you do have a question you can usually get them real quick. Good luck with it and let us know how you like it!
Old 07-01-2009, 10:01 AM

Subscribing..

B.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

this past weekend i deleted my egr cooler the homemade way. replaced the turbo inlet pipe. and cleaned my turbo vanes. the write up on this site under 6.0 mods was a big help. all total with the welding, fabricating, cleaning turbo and wrenching, it took me about 12 hours. if you do remove your intake there is a large doughnut shaped o ring that can easily be bumped out of its proper location while reinstalling the intake. luckilly i caught this before it was to late. all in all it was not that hard of a job to do. also for anyone thinking of doing this homemade mod to your egr cooler and welding the tube and flange. it is stainless steel. so plan ahead on your welding technique.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

How much did you end up paying for the delete kit? I'm interested in getting the same kit.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:12 PM

I think I paid 550 for the rcd kit I will check the paper work tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Premium Member

Well, after two days of working on it, it is finally egr-less. It makes a world of difference. 200 degrees cooler. I deleted the whole egr system and cleaned the vanes and now it will scream with no turbo sticking.
My impressions of the kit:

Packaged well and looks awesome. The nuts that came with it that were supposed to secure the mid pipe were too big. Had to go to the parts store to get some 5/16 nuts. I did not like the 12-point bolts either.
The directions....well let's just say they were lacking some info (for the first time shadetree mechanic). There are more bolts to remove in order to get the intake to lift up. Heater pipe bracket that connects to the alternator, 2 15mm shroud bolts, and another bracket in the front. You also have to take the serpentine belt off the alternator. When you loosen the manifold bolts, you have to loosen the passenger side almost all the way and the driver side almost as much. That was the biggest pain and took the most time just figuring out what to loosen and how much. Once it was all out, it went pretty quick.
Here is a breakdown...
Drain coolant
Remove degas bottle
remove intake
remove intercooler to turbo piping
disconnect map sensor hose from manifold
remove turbo and pedestal
take belt off alternator
remove three bolts to egr cooler
remove bolt on heater piping bracked on the side of the alternator bracket and turn upwards.
remove 2 fan shroud bolts (15mm) from intake and the other bolt on front of intake that goes to a bracket (don't remember what it is for).
remove mid pipe from passenger side
loosen ALL of the intake manifold bolts until there is about 2 threads holding them in.
lift up on the intake (passenger side)
push down on the egr cooler to release it from the intake
slide egr cooler back then lift up and pull it forward, then chunk it as far as you can (I got about 30ft).
tighten the intake back down using a torque wrench (specs are in the instructions)
reinstall all bolts and belt
install the cooler delete (kinda place it up there so you know how much hose you will need to trim off and do that first)
remove the egr valve
install the billet cover in it's place.
install the new mid pipe.
install the turbo pedestal and turbo
re-attach map sensor hose
install the intake, ic piping and degas bottle
fill with correct antifreeze
pray to the diesel gods to bless your truck with no leaks...
fire it up
enjoy a cooler running engine.

I am sure I left something out.... But that is the basics... Well worth the $$$. Great kit, just the mechanic was lacking...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.