Head gasket and stud install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 08:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head gasket and stud install

Hey Guys I started a tear down of my 6.0 to install studs and new gaskets along with an egr delete, new oil cooler and a 4in turbo back exhaust. And I figured I would post up some pics and let you guys know what I thought about it.
So far I have 15 hours into it and have gotten the heads off and to the machinist. I have an oil cooler on order which will be next to go on. All I did it with the cab on engine in the truck and it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. If you have worked on cars and done similar repairs, it is nothing new. Dont be afraid it isnt bad. I will attach some pics of my tear down so you can see how I went about it. If you have any questions or helpful hints for me Id love them! Thanks guys and good luck with your own 6.0.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2009, 08:40 PM
haters gonna hate 24/7.

lookin pretty good so far.....

how hard was it to remove the blower from the firewall??
Old 06-29-2009, 08:45 PM

Thanks a lot! The blower was really easy, pull up the door sill plastic, then the tow kick plastic, pull the glove box, and there are 6 nuts on the inside of the truck 1/4 turn to loosen them and then twirl right off. There is a plug inside the truck for 2 vac lines and it pulls right out. plus you need to have the refrigerant sucked down first or you will end up with a big mess! heater core stays in the cab i just pulled the evap housing.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:21 PM

thanks for giving people like me hope that i can do it myself.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:05 PM

Nice to have the pics to get the visual. Looks like all kinds of room with the evaporator out! How many square feet of shop space do you have to spread out all those removed parts on?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:17 PM

wow, lots of stuff to pull out, i give you props, im still deciding to do mine or not, im buyin a little toyota from my buddy for a few hundred bucks, so i can drive that thing around while i stud my truck. keep up the good work and the pictures!
Old 06-30-2009, 07:20 AM

did removing the blower's 4 bolts also remove the evaporator? if not what else did that require, other than AC refrig. recovery?
Old 06-30-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstroker View Post
thanks for giving people like me hope that i can do it myself.
Hey man I was worried about it myself and figured i had nothing to lose so i just dove it and was plesently surprised! I figured anyone else thinking about it would like to know as much as possible. Its not that bad so if you have the time just do it! good luck
Old 06-30-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdarkveil View Post
Nice to have the pics to get the visual. Looks like all kinds of room with the evaporator out! How many square feet of shop space do you have to spread out all those removed parts on?
I have a 5 car garage and its 50x40 so theres plenty of room when its empty but it rarely gets that way! lol Im using 2 bays for the whole thing plus a couple sq feet maybe. I have the truck 2 cars 2 atvs and a bunch of crap jammed in now and its not bad. I tend to keep things tightly packed so if you like a really nice open work area then you will need more room!
Old 06-30-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncertain View Post
did removing the blower's 4 bolts also remove the evaporator? if not what else did that require, other than AC refrig. recovery?
Hey I didnt remove the blower, I just removed the whole evaporator housing. I left the blower bolted right on to the evap housing. There are 6 studs that go through the firewall with nuts behind the glove box that pull the whole evap housing right off. other then that there were 2 vac lines and the whole housing comes right off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.