Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Head gasket and stud install

89K views 128 replies 50 participants last post by  devster55 
#1 ·
Hey Guys I started a tear down of my 6.0 to install studs and new gaskets along with an egr delete, new oil cooler and a 4in turbo back exhaust. And I figured I would post up some pics and let you guys know what I thought about it.
So far I have 15 hours into it and have gotten the heads off and to the machinist. I have an oil cooler on order which will be next to go on. All I did it with the cab on engine in the truck and it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. If you have worked on cars and done similar repairs, it is nothing new. Dont be afraid it isnt bad. I will attach some pics of my tear down so you can see how I went about it. If you have any questions or helpful hints for me Id love them! Thanks guys and good luck with your own 6.0.

See less See more
#2 ·
lookin pretty good so far..... :thumb:

how hard was it to remove the blower from the firewall??

#3 ·
Thanks a lot! The blower was really easy, pull up the door sill plastic, then the tow kick plastic, pull the glove box, and there are 6 nuts on the inside of the truck 1/4 turn to loosen them and then twirl right off. There is a plug inside the truck for 2 vac lines and it pulls right out. plus you need to have the refrigerant sucked down first or you will end up with a big mess! heater core stays in the cab i just pulled the evap housing.

#8 ·
Hey man I was worried about it myself and figured i had nothing to lose so i just dove it and was plesently surprised! I figured anyone else thinking about it would like to know as much as possible. Its not that bad so if you have the time just do it! good luck

#5 ·
Nice to have the pics to get the visual. Looks like all kinds of room with the evaporator out! How many square feet of shop space do you have to spread out all those removed parts on?

#9 ·
I have a 5 car garage and its 50x40 so theres plenty of room when its empty but it rarely gets that way! lol Im using 2 bays for the whole thing plus a couple sq feet maybe. I have the truck 2 cars 2 atvs and a bunch of crap jammed in now and its not bad. I tend to keep things tightly packed so if you like a really nice open work area then you will need more room!

#6 ·
wow, lots of stuff to pull out, i give you props, im still deciding to do mine or not, im buyin a little toyota from my buddy for a few hundred bucks, so i can drive that thing around while i stud my truck. keep up the good work and the pictures!

#11 ·
Thanks, if you have the time, and a spare car i say go for it. Some of the project can get a little frustrating but its not bad. Ill continue to post as i put it back together thats when the fun starts! Im waiting on some parts and the heads and ill be ready to go hopefully next week!

#10 ·
Hey I didnt remove the blower, I just removed the whole evaporator housing. I left the blower bolted right on to the evap housing. There are 6 studs that go through the firewall with nuts behind the glove box that pull the whole evap housing right off. other then that there were 2 vac lines and the whole housing comes right off.

#12 ·
I agree with mikeproc...if you work on cars you can to this job no problem there no special tools that you need other than your basic sockets... i would say the hardest part about this job is putting the heads back on the truck. I used a engine hoist to put those suckers back. Everything looks like its going good bud keep it up. Ask questions if you need anything

#14 ·
Thanks guys, Im really happy with the way its been going for me, and yes I know about the fan shroud, but was having a very hard time getting the fan clutch off and decided to just work around it. And the heads are a little tough when you get your arms out there.

#15 ·
Alright, I have a little update, I got the rest of my parts and finally got to start putting the truck back together. I took some pics ill post tomorrow. The heads are HEAVY youll need 2 guys to put them on and its long reach so make sure you have long arms. Torquing the heads down I broke my cheapo torque wrench and had to borrow a friends to finish. 250 ft lbs is a lot. I hope to have the turbo back on and new down pipe in tomorrow if all goes as planed Ill have the evap housing in and wheel well also but thats getting hopeful! Ill post the pics and let you guys know how it went.

#16 ·
Sweet man :thumb: I hope to start on mine soon. Just saving up the rest for a full egr delete :)

#17 ·
keep the pics comming

#21 ·
I finished my exhaust today and got to start the truck and drive it a little! It runs awesome the exhaust sounds great. I am really thrilled with the job. It was a little quicker for me to put it all together then taking it apart. I ran the ccv to the back of the truck so no more dirty boots. Ill post back with some updates as time goes by. Here are some of the last pics i took. Dont be afraid to do your own truck, It is not as hard as its made out to be. If you like working on cars then its just another notch in your belt.

#22 ·
Awesome work! actually considering doing it now. great pics. :thumb

#23 ·
thats awesome work you did there, did you run into any problems after putting it back together?

#28 ·
Luckily no problems what so ever. Taking it apart went very smooth with the exception of my fan. I had a really hard time getting the fan off. SO i left it on. putting it back together I already knew how it went and it was a breeze. I really over estimated the job, you just need a lot of patients and a good strong back and its totally doable. I could have had it done in a little less then a week if I had planed it better and had not gotten the heads redone. I had a few weeks of down time waiting on parts. The hardest part is putting the driver side head back on, you need to put the stud in the head taped up so it is even with the bottom of the head, put the aluminum rocker holder on and then try and fit the whole mess on top of the motor under the cowl. If I didnt have my father to help hold the front of the head when i put it in I probably would have needed a hoist.

#24 ·
thats awesome you did a good job on that. im gearing up to do the studs and egr full delete myself. if i can ask did you buy the the gasket kit from ford or another company? did it come with all the gaskets you'll need? also about how much were all the gaskets i was curious cause i know ballpark what the studs will cost but not sure on the gasket set. i'm trying to get an idea of what it will cost if i do it myself. thanks! and awesome job!:)

#27 ·
I didnt buy a gasket kit entirely, I bought studs and black oxny gasket off river city diesel as well as an egr delete kit. Then I bought a bunch of gaskets and stuff from ford. Heres the list that I can find right now, I had another recipt with a few other things I believe Ill see if i can find it.

8 injector oring kits #3c3z-9229-AA cost 34.40 for all 8
8 glow plugs # 4c3z-12A342-AA Cost 131.60 for all 8
1 glow plug harness # 4c2z-12A690-AB cost 39.06
1 glow plug harness # 4c2z-12A690-BA cost 39.00
Red it not needed, I just wanted to do it while i had it apart.
Oil cooler kit #3c3z-6A642-CA cost 240.00
6 new copper crush washer for fuel lines # 3c3z-9A375-AA cost 4.44
2 orings for oil tube #W300012 cost 8.96
2 orings for oil tube #W302209 cost 11.58
2 orings for oil tube #w301390 cost 3.64
2 orings for oil tube #w301386 cost 3.64
5 gallons of premium gold #VC-7-B cost 68.00
I wasnt sure how much coolant id need so i bought extra. I only ended up needing 3 gal. of coolant And a little less then 3 gallons of water.

#25 ·
Great post on all the pictures.. if i had a 2nd vehicle i could see myself also trying this, the motor is still in the truck did u jack the motor down at all?

#29 ·
I didnt touch the location of the block, I never jacked it up or down, I just left it where it was, I had thought about jacking it up to maybe avoid having to install the driver side head with a stud already taped in. But decided to just do it as it sat and it worked out just fine. The heads are very heavy so make sure you have a hoist or you and a friend better be strong. I would do the job again if I got another 6.0, It is easy enough and cheap enough insurance, after the first problem I had I would get nervous with the truck and now I dont worry so much. I cant justify paying someone for something I can do if i have another means of transportation. Good luck with what ever you end up doing.

#31 ·
I scraped all the big stuff off very carefully and used a little rubbing alcohol and it came out real nice. It doesnt need to be shinny, the block can have some stain in it just as long as its not gouged out or old material left on youll be fine. good luck

#32 ·
BIG PROPS on the diy man. esp with cab on. lol when my studs were gettin torqued i had to help my buddy. he couldnt get it to the 250 mark hes alil guy. but i got it done under warranty short the cost of the studs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.