Any need for more upgrades? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to F250HD
Any need for more upgrades?

Hey guys, new to the site and had a few questions. I bought a 2006 F250 superduty Harley edition with the 6.0 litre powerstoke last may and this past year picked up a lot of aftermarket parts from a guy that couldn't use them anymore really cheap.($1,000 bucks) It included a bully dog triple dog pup with outlook monitor,bully dog 6.0 litre power modual,bully dog RFI cold air intake,bully dog propane injection kit,banks monster exhaust,and an aluminum intercooler made by AEM? I can't remember the exact manufacturer on the intercooler. All the parts come off a 2005 powerstroke same body configuration as mine. My first question is for that power modual. It says 04-05 on the modual and was wondering if it would work for my 06 just the same. My second question is will I need to do any transmission work so I don't blow the tranny with the extra horsepower,and if so what would you recommend. My third question is, with all the added horsepower will my head qaskets be able to hold, or will I need to get the ARP stud kit, or will I need to do any other modifications on the truck to keep from destroying anything? I was told by someone that aslong as I keep an eye on my EGT's my head gaskets will be fine no matter what kind of horsepower you run through the motor in moderation of course. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Serving Our Country!

your not running that much hp a shift kit and valve body should be all you need i wouldnt worry about head studs unless your boosting over 40 psi but you have a stock turbo so that isnt an issue and gaskets wont be a problem due to the mods
Old 06-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Serving Our Country!

and a tq converter also would be nice
Old 06-25-2009, 06:10 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Head gaskets can be a problem and probably will. I wouldn't use the bully dog tuning, id sell that stuff. I dont' know anything about the intake, but the stock one is good to like 4 or 500 horse. Dont' know about the propane kit either. Everthing else is alright though. I would take the money you get from the bully dog junk and buy an SCT with custom tunes. The custom tunes can be written to keep cylinder pressures down to save your head gaskets until you get studs. Also with that custom tuning your trans should hold up quite well with no other upgrades.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies. What are the negatives with the bully dog programmer? And how much is the SCT programmer? I just read a post saying a mechanic in PA will do a head stud swap under warranty with ARP(that you buy) even if the head gaskets weren't blown. Is there anyone in ohio(cleveland area) that does this?
Old 06-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How much of an undertaking is a head stud swap? I heard you have to lift the chassis off the body. I was thinking of doing it myself but if someone will do it under warranty and knows what they're doing well i'll go that route.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:23 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Negatives of a bully dog is inferior power, inferior trans tuning, and no extra tuning to keep pressures down to preserve head gaskets. Im not real sure how much the SCT and custom tunes are, someone that knows will probably chime in here soon. Some dealers will do headstuds under warranty, you just bring in the parts. I dont have too much good info on that though, i'm more knowlegable on the 7.3s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.