Air Intake or Stock - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Air Intake or Stock

Hi guys just a question for you, I have a 06 F-350 stock and I have been think of a after market Air Intake over the stock one that the truck has. What are your thoughts? As everyone knows one thing at a time. What is the right one to look at. I am looking to increase the fuel economy and maybe the power. Thanks for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
I prefer the S&B over any of the rest..you get 8 layers of filtration and its completely reusable (and its one of the cheapest)..all you gotta do it pull it off and clean it and reinstall..after about 40,000 miles the intake will pay for itself, just by not having to buy a new OEM filter each time you need a new filter (going by 10k change intervals) You wont get a bunch of HP from this mod ..and I cant say about fuel mileage..but I like the simplicity of it..plus they look good under the hood.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrannan19 View Post
after about 40,000 miles the intake will pay for itself, just by not having to buy a new OEM filter each time you need a new filter (going by 10k change intervals)
Where are you getting these change intervals? First you say every oil change and now you bumped it up to 10k. There are people that have gone many many many more miles without the filter needing to be changed. If those changes were realistic for the majority of the truck driving population(there are some that need those frequent change due to environment that they live in, but they are by no means the mainstream) then you might have something, but I can count on one hand the amount of people that drive their trucks in areas that call for that kind of changes and that's less then 5% of the psd owners that I know. Plus if the stock filters were that crappy and needed to be changed that often, then I probably be driving a different truck as well.

To the OP: what is your reason for changing out the filter? Use of changing and/or reusing the filter? Filtration or more air flow?

The first one is about the only one that has any merit to it, but it would not be worth it to me just for that alone.

Filtration of the stock filter is pretty damn good, this isn't the same filter that was on the 7.3.

Air flow, while most a/m intakes do flow more then stock, they do not flow more air until you hit very high in the rpms(the quickest is at 3,700 rpm) well beyond the rpm ranges for tq/hp of a stock or tuned 6.0(2,000 and 3,300 rpm repectively).

In my opinion, unless you're going to be doing heavy modding, you really do not gain much(if anything at all) with changing out the intake.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:13 PM

So far I'm sticking with stock. Once I'm getting low on perf mods I'm going to get S&B. unless there is better(filtration%)
Old 06-23-2009, 08:50 PM

See the results for yourself, most testing is done at MAX RPM/HP

ISO 5011 Test Results
Certified to the ISO 5011 Air Filtration Standard
Testing Conducted Using:
AFE 21-40035 (Dry Media)
AEM 21-3059DK (Dry Media)
S&B KF-1006 (Cotton Guaze)
Ford: FA-1750 (OE Filter)

http://www.thetruthaboutfilters.com/...andAFE_Dry.pdf
Old 06-24-2009, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billelf123 View Post
You do realize that the diesel engine that they used was a '97 Ford don't you? That would make it a 7.3 not a 6.0. It has already been determined that a 7.3 doesn't have that great of a OE filter. You have one on a 6.0? That would be like comparing auto tranny from a 7.3 and using that as a baseline to judge the torqshift from a 6.0.

Once I realize that it was basing it's results for a 7.3 I stopped right there, so the results might be good for that engine, but that doesn't mean that it would carry over to the 6.0. Filtration, rpm ranges, and airflow are different for the air filters on a 7.3 versus a 6.0.

Think of it this way, people can get away with inline fuel modules on a 7.3 more often then they could with a 6.0, but they carried over their experience from the 7.3 and look what it got them? Just because it worked better for one engine, doesn't meant that it will for the next.

Last edited by tex25025; 06-24-2009 at 04:05 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:43 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
Tex, where are you getting your "facts" from?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:59 AM

knowing what i know now, i would've saved that cash for something else. the only difference i've noticed is the turbo is a little louder, especially when it farts after getting on it. this is the one i would do with a stock intake...

03-07 Ford 6.0L Powerstroke OEM AFE Drop in replacement filter
Old 06-24-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrannan19 View Post
Tex, where are you getting your "facts" from?
Tests that were conducted by AFE and K&N.

What they typically focus on is the fact that they do flow more air(which they do), however, if you look at their graphs you'll see at what rpms that they do flow more and compare that to the the rpms that the 6.0 "works" best at.

As to S&B and the fact that their tests do not reflect what goes on with the 6.0, they actually say on their sheet that under truck info it was a '97 Ford diesel. If you look at most of the forums for the 7.3, they will say that the stock filter is a pretty bad one, conversely, if you were to go to the 6.0 forums, they would say that the stock filters are quite good and based on test results from the aforementioned companies, there is some support to that end.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Everything is stock on my 06 6.0 except the K&N intake and filter. I'm getting 2 mpg more and noticed a considerable gain in throttle response & power. Some say the K&N filter is not good because it lets dust through. I have not had a problem with it and I think most filters do let dust through to some extent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.