My dashboard gauges are going crazy - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My dashboard gauges are going crazy

I have a 2004 Excursion XLT 4wd, with the 5 speed auto in it. The truck has the 6.0L PSD in it. While driving my dash gauges will pin out at maximum, then drop to zero, then go back to normal. During that time the radio goes off as well, when the gauges return so does the radio. Someone said it was a module (GSM?), but I have no idea. Anyone else have this trouble??? If so how do I fix it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to harrys91rs
I think the GEM module is what they meant.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

Do you have a leaky windshield possibly? This usually leads to having problems with the GEM module.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no leaks anywhere in the cab; windshield or where the doors seal.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Unhappy

Hey guys please...if anyone knows how to fix this and/or how much it costs to fix it. I haul horses with my Excursion and not having gauges is scarring the heck out of me. So any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Did you get this figured out? We were heading to Omaha from Colorado a couple months ago in heavy rain, and the gauges went wild, and the radio shut off as well. Didn't do it again after that. As far as I can tell, the windshield doesn't leak.

My passenger rear window leaks slightly, and I'm looking for the seal to fix the issue.

Doug
Old 03-11-2010, 04:09 AM

May not be the same with you, but I was having a very similar problem on my 2004 F350, and it turned out that I had grounded my auxillary lights and relay to the factory ground location for the ABS module, and in addition to the ABS light being on, speedo not working, and cruise not working, my gauges and radio were doing like yours. I only found it when one day, after about 8 months of working, my lights didnt come on. I removed them all from the ground spot, cleaned it and the ABS grounding ring up some, rebolted it and it only to the factory spot, and everything went to working perfectly again. I regrounded the lights and relay to another spot.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Was it raining at the time? That is when it acted up with me. I also don't have the GEM unit, so not real sure what it is/was. I did clean up the ground connections though.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:07 PM

Nah, it wasnt raining, I think I just had too much stuff grounded in that one spot, and instead of sanding it down or anything, the factory ground pretty much depended on the threads of the bolt to do the grounding, so I think it finally gave up. When I regrounded it, I ground the paint off, scuffed up the ring a little, and out it back, and it fixed everything. Good luck finding your problem.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
May not be the same with you, but I was having a very similar problem on my 2004 F350, and it turned out that I had grounded my auxiliary lights and relay to the factory ground location for the ABS module, and in addition to the ABS light being on, speedo not working, and cruise not working, my gauges and radio were doing like yours.
Mine has gotten worse as well. With the ABS light coming on occasionally and the charge light flashing. And when the gauges fail the electric windows dont work either. I had a look at the ground points and could find no failure but the problem persists
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.