2005 EX Exhaust... what you think???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 EX Exhaust... what you think????

I have a 2005 completely stock EX with 27k miles. I want put a 4" turbo back exhaust on it. Do you guys recommend the MBRP or the Flow Pro? What's the difference in aluminized steel and stainless besides longevity and price? Also, does the exhaust eliminate the CAT and muffler and what are the purposes of deleting those? Sorry Diesel newbie here. Thanks for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2009, 08:00 PM

I'm running a MBRP system now. Good performance, sounds nice, and the price wasn't too bad. As you said, there is a difference in price between alum and stainless. Stainless is a good idea if your located anywhere it snows and they salt the roads. It will stay nice forever. Removing the CAT and or muffler is up to you really. Removing them will make it louder and affect your mileage slightly...that's basically it.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to maddenjr
I have mbrp with no cat and dual tail pipes with 6 inch tip and love it.it sound and looks awsome and fit great!!!mine is stainless and is holding up great.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:00 AM

Does removing the Cat increase flow and potentially increase mileage? What is the overall advantage of removing the Cat? I understand the reason for removing the muffler is for sound, especially with todays high flow mufflers. Is that logic correct?

Also, does removing the Cat preclude dealers from warranty work on the truck? I have a 05 Ex with 26K miles and a ton of warranty miles left. Don't want to ruin that!!

Sorry OP, don't mean to hijack the thread, I am a diesel noob also.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:12 PM

Anyone????

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowhole View Post
Does removing the Cat increase flow and potentially increase mileage? What is the overall advantage of removing the Cat? I understand the reason for removing the muffler is for sound, especially with todays high flow mufflers. Is that logic correct?

Also, does removing the Cat preclude dealers from warranty work on the truck? I have a 05 Ex with 26K miles and a ton of warranty miles left. Don't want to ruin that!!

Sorry OP, don't mean to hijack the thread, I am a diesel noob also.

I have those same questions about CAT delete. Does it void warranty and what performance gains would someone get if they installed the 4" TB MBRP exhaust and left the cat in? Or should I wait until warranty expires then do the full kit? Thanks
Old 03-09-2009, 01:18 PM

the cat is only 3" inlet /outlet. so in my opinion puttting your cat on a 4" exhaust system is basically wasting your money because you are still restricting the flow. A diesel engine is like a air pump, the better you get air in and out of it, the more efficient and powerful it is.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Get a exhaust that retains the Cat and then also get a cat delete pipe. Pit the cat back on when taking it to the dealer. If you are wanting to keep the cat on permanently, you would be wasting money on a exhaust
Old 03-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
MBRP is a great kit.... like said above i would get the the kit that retains the factor cat and get the test pipe to remove it.. that way when you have to put it back on you have the option too....

diff between the metals is mainly price and how long they will last... if you do not see any road sald i recommend the AL kits... no point in paying more money for something you cant see...

if you see road salt.. 409SS will not rust through but will build surface rust and 304 will stay shiny for the life of the exhaust....

if you have any other questions feel free to ask

-Raul
Old 03-09-2009, 02:02 PM

cat pipe

This cat pipe you mention is it a extra piece that needs to be ordered? Also, is it easy to change in and out when going to the dealer (for someone who isn't the most mechanically inclined outside of fluid changes)? Is it a bolt on/off and if a dealer sees this installed can they challenge and still void warranty? Sorry for all the newbie Q's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.