Door and Rear Panel Removal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 11:27 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Door and Rear Panel Removal

I got some new Infinity's that I am going to install in my 2005 Ex. I need ya'll's advice on removing the door panels and the rear panels that access the rear set of speakers.

I have read that on the SuperDuty's there are a few screws that need to be removed from the door and then the whole panel just lifts up and off - after removing the various electrical plugs. Is this the case with the Ex? I can not find any screws or access panels to screws on the bottom half of the doors. Should there be screws on the bottom??

I am a pretty strong guy and don't want to just pull things off and regret it!!

I have not looked too in depth at the rear panels yet, but if you have already removed those and have a stepwise process for that, that would save me a butt-load of time scratching my head!!

Also, anyone know how the 6-disc head units operate 6 speakers? Are the rear two daisy chained on the same channel? Is the head unit a simple 4 channel unit? I can't imagine it is more complicated than that. Or else Ford has really outdone themselves!!

I am eventually going to add a 10" RF Shallow Sub to the passenger side rear door and the amp for the sub in the driver side rear door. But first, the 6 speakers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 12:35 PM

Anyone, Anyone?????

Old 02-05-2009, 09:59 AM

Man! Nobodies ever taken their door panels off??
Old 04-28-2009, 08:35 AM

Door panels are easy, just follow directions for the super duty door panel removal. Its only 2 skrews, one behind the window controller panel and the other behind the reflector, then yes, they just lift away. As for the rear panel I would love to know how to remove that myself. I had all my speakers professionally installed because this vehicle was way more of a pain than my last one to work on but now I plan to take this to the next step and start fiberglassing the crap outta my truck. Got an 8" L7 I'm going to put in a custom center console for the front and hope to cram atleast 4 subs behind the 3rd row bench in a custom fiberglass enclosure. Last thing I want to do is turn the rear pillars into speaker pods for some 6x9s. I am waiting for a friend to finish his college exams before I get started but if you need any pix let me know and I'll see what I can do to get them posted. Ohh also going to put amps in the rear barn doors, that's gonna be more of a pain though. If you are interested in removing those to dynamat for example (which I need to do) Here is a link for a post I already had about it with a nice pic of the panel removed including the back side of the panel so you can see how it mounts:

Rear Door Panel Removal
Old 04-28-2009, 08:39 AM

Also just because it has to be admired, I've see this excursion in person: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/300522
Old 04-28-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnackMasterX View Post
Also just because it has to be admired, I've see this excursion in person: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/300522
That is an insane amount of sound!!
Old 04-28-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Door panels are easy, just follow directions for the super duty door panel removal. Its only 2 skrews, one behind the window controller panel and the other behind the reflector, then yes, they just lift away. As for the rear panel I would love to know how to remove that myself. I had all my speakers professionally installed because this vehicle was way more of a pain than my last one to work on but now I plan to take this to the next step and start fiberglassing the crap outta my truck. Got an 8" L7 I'm going to put in a custom center console for the front and hope to cram atleast 4 subs behind the 3rd row bench in a custom fiberglass enclosure. Last thing I want to do is turn the rear pillars into speaker pods for some 6x9s. I am waiting for a friend to finish his college exams before I get started but if you need any pix let me know and I'll see what I can do to get them posted. Ohh also going to put amps in the rear barn doors, that's gonna be more of a pain though. If you are interested in removing those to dynamat for example (which I need to do) Here is a link for a post I already had about it with a nice pic of the panel removed including the back side of the panel so you can see how it mounts:

Rear Door Panel Removal
Thanks, snackmaster. Keep me posted on your progress, I would like to see what you get done and how. I live just outside of orlando, not too far from ormond beach. And thanks for that link to the rear door pic, that is something I have been curious about for a long time!!
Old 04-28-2009, 10:36 AM

Well the audio shop I have been going to for my work is SoundCrafters and one of the installers there owns that excursion. He had both front doors opened, I was outside the car and still felt a ridiculous amount of air compression. If you wanna learn to work with fiberglass though you are welcome to join and we can do some stuff for your vehicle at the same time. My goal with working on my excursion is to do as little cutting and such as possible so certain things I plan to do I will be replicating the parts necessary for the project, example would be the barn doors. Chances are I am going to have to cut some metal there but I want to keep the original panel and just craft myself a new one. Also my overhead console in the front, My bass ruined that thing and I'm not sure if you plan to get as much bump as I have (currently 1200 watts RMS and plan to add more) but if you do plan to do so then we may want to meet up sometime to do some work on our trucks. I need to fabricate an entire new mounting system for the overhead console and I have it in my head right now but its going to be a pain to accomplish since I will have to remove the head liner to remove the original mounting plate. If I am wrong please somebody correct me because I really am not looking forward to that much work but if it must be done then it must be done. Right now I've just taken the overhead console down and when/if I have to take the headliner down I'm going to dynamat my roof because I'm getting a little bit of noise from the bass rattling the crap outta my vehicle. Example, I took a couple of my friends to walmart and when we got back to their place I noticed the handle on my hatch back was barely hanging on by 1 bolt. Luckily I had the tools on hand to put it back in place. I have a series of other things I want to do which might be of interest to anyone else with sound systems in their excursions but here is a complete list (or as much as I can remember at the moment):

-Move the backup sensor speaker to a more audible location
-Find a way to remove the rear wiper blade, with as much bass as I have now its useless
-New center console with an 8" kicker L7
-Voltage meters, mounting location not yet decided, to monitor 3 batteries, the 2 stock batteries and the 3rd battery which has yet to be added
-Add switches on either the dash or in the custom center console for turning off my main subs (but still leave the center console sub on)
-Custom fit fiberglass subwoofer enclosure behind 3rd row bench and still have spare tire accessible
-Custom fiberglass D pillar panels for 6x9 speakers
-Barn door amps (for door speakers, D pillar 6x9s, and center console sub), this allows me to remove the rear subs for whatever reason justifies that much work and still have some bass, I will ensure it is very easy to remove my rear subs but only easy if you know what you are doing, meaning there will be theft protection of some sort, still working on the theft protection method but the rear subs will more than likely be my last project.

Though I implied it I want to clearly state this, I plan to have everything look as though it was professionally done, not look like crap. If anyone else has any ideas or any tips/suggestions for me please let me know. I want to find a way to easily manufacture these items for other excursion owners.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:39 AM

Forgot to ask, have you gotten your speakers installed yet?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Forgot to ask, have you gotten your speakers installed yet?
NOOOO! But that is just a simple switch. Go some Infiniti's for the doors and rear panels. Just don't look forward to trying to remove those rear panels, especially since the speaker is right there on the outer edge!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.