Diesel NOOB Here - Hello!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 07:27 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diesel NOOB Here - Hello!!

Just bought an 05 6.0L PS Excursion - Eddie Bauer with only 25.5K miles and one owner (unbelievable)!! I am stoked! I bought an extended power-train warranty that will take coverage through 5 year and up to 125K miles.

I have been reading through a ton of threads on here already and have a few questions I want to get out there before I start making modifications to my yacht.

1. Headers -- With the 6.0, it seems header bolts are an issue and a source of contention and everyone has an opinion on when they should be replaced. Since I have an extended warranty, would it be wise to hold off on this adjustment until I near the end of the warranty?

2. Exhaust -- Does adding a turbo back exhaust and removing the cat nullify my warranty on the drive-train?

3. CAI -- I have come to the conclusion that unless I am going to push the engine above 500 HP (which I am not), then the stock AI is perfectly suited. I plan on 'Zoodad'ing it though, that is safe enough and cheap. What is a good drop in filter for the stock AI? Or is the stock filter adequate??

4. Gauges -- I have read that certain people think the gauges should be on of the first mods done. I am in agreement somewhat - the more information we have in general, the better. Any suggestions on type, brand, and those with the easiest setup??

5. Oil and Additives -- Will using full synthetic oil from now on be beneficial for the 6.0 over the long run? Are there any additives I should be using now, and on a consistent basis, to get the best MPG's and keep the engine clean?

My ultimate goal is to purchase a travel trailer to pull all over North America. I don't have a desire to add a tuner, although I am open-minded and could be persuaded otherwise. I just want to do make those changes to the truck that will help it run as efficiently and long as possible. I love this truck and want to keep it forever.

Let me know if I am missing anything, this is my first diesel and am excited to learn.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 07:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
first of all welcome to the .org

I can help you out with some of your questions

headers. they dont make them, you could extrude hone your stockers but its not worth it

exhaust, you can get a nice MBRP kit, with a muffler to keep the sound down a little, nice power to be made

same with the intake, on my truck i just have an AFE drop in replacement filter. the stock box flows plenty of air

gauges, since you say you are going to travel, maybe tow. i would look into Isspro gauges, matches the factory gauges nicely. Trans temp, and EGT gauge.

heres a sound clip of my truck, 4 inch straight pipe and my gauges for reference.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:56 AM
Premium Member

1. The stock head bolts tend to be weak and stretch thus blowing the head gaskets. If you are going to be pulling alot, ARPs would be a good upgrade.

2. It depends on what dealer you use and how "mod friendly" they are

3. The Stock filter is adequate

4. Gauges need to be done before tuning or if your pulling alot. Isspro or autometer are good brands. You are going to want EGT's, Boost, Tranny temp.

5. I dont know much about additives. I hear alot of people running 1oz of marine 2-stroke ashless oil per 1 gallon of diesel.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Conservative and Proud

Old 01-20-2009, 08:07 AM
My 6OH Hates Me

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
welcome to the org
Old 01-20-2009, 08:10 AM

I believe he meant heads, not headers, as in head studs. And from what I've read about the 6.0's, stock or programmed, studs are a very good idea to do. I'd do them now to make your ex last a long time. I'm in teh same boat, I want mine to hit 500k and 10 years, anyways.

and welcome
Old 01-20-2009, 08:15 AM

Thanks for all the replies - So Quick!!

Ya'll reply so quickly!!

03f250stroke -- Thanks for the video and pics. I love those gauges - how difficult are they to get up and running?

stroken04 -- How much does it cost to get those bolts installed. I would not be able to do that mod myself?

Last edited by blowhole; 01-20-2009 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Image link did not work.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01excursion7.3 View Post
I believe he meant heads, not headers, as in head studs. And from what I've read about the 6.0's, stock or programmed, studs are a very good idea to do. I'd do them now to make your ex last a long time. I'm in teh same boat, I want mine to hit 500k and 10 years, anyways.
This is where I am a bit confused: If I have the extended warranty, will replacing the head studs nullify the warranty? If the studs go during the coverage period of the warranty, will they be replaced with good studs by Ford? Or will it be a perpetual replacement of crap by the manufacturer? OR, is it unwise to let the studs go and possibly damage the engine?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:32 AM

From what I've read, if the dealership you use is mod friendly, you might be able to get them to install arp's. The 6.0 guys with experience should be able to chime in shortly and give you better guidance.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowhole View Post
Ya'll reply so quickly!!

03f250stroke -- Thanks for the video and pics. I love those gauges - how difficult they to get up and running?

stroken04 -- How much does it cost to get those bolts installed. I would not be able to do that mod myself?

I think it runs $2500-$3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowhole View Post
This is where I am a bit confused: If I have the extended warranty, will replacing the head studs nullify the warranty? If the studs go during the coverage period of the warranty, will they be replaced with good studs by Ford? Or will it be a perpetual replacement of crap by the manufacturer? OR, is it unwise to let the studs go and possibly damage the engine?
Since you still have warranty, I would wait until something happens, then have the dealer install ARP's on their dime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.