Bulletproof vs Factory - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 05:43 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bulletproof vs Factory

As I'm looking to Bulletproof my ride I'm thinking which should I get from this site, standard duty Bulletproof or standard duty factory oem. What is better? Also I have a good mechanic he has experience in diesel but it's not his specialty he should be able to install as even regular handy people are supposed to be able to install right?
FYI I use my truck for urban use, road trips and now towing at the moment.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by darkpassenger; 04-11-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 05:58 AM

Assuming you are speaking EGR cooler stuff here, I would go with the Bulletproof EGR cooler (don't do a delete), and the oil cooler service kit. 2004.25 and up, I would also do the branch tube adapter upgrade (eliminate STC fitting). Oil cooler restriction is basically the start of almost all that ails a 6.0L. Typically, the oil cooler becomes restricted, causing the EGR cooler to be denied proper coolant flow. The EGR cooler becomes super hot, causing it to rupture. Additionally, the restriction can cause localized boiling of coolant, and high pressure areas within the cooling system, which can cause head gasket issues.
RedneckYankee likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to winnersdieseltech For This Useful Post:
darkpassenger (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 06:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you can do any kind of wrench turning then I would say you could do this job. I did mine and I will be the first guy to tell you Im far from a mechanic. Im getting better...but I have brought a box of parts to a mechanic and said the words "can you put this back together?"
The instructions are awesome. Heck you will get a step by step book. With PICTURES!!!!!The instructions were so good I kept mine just in case I gotta go back in.
I would say the big thing was just getting up the nerve once you open the hood and see all them hoses. The wires are no big deal cause the plugs wont go in the wrong plug and they have been in the same position so long the will tell you were they go. Getting them apart can be fun. buy my suggestion on that would be get a small straight blade screw driver and a leather glove so you don't ram the thing in your hand.
As far as to what oil cooler. When I actually had the OEM oil cooler in my hand I could not believe how small it was. Cooling the oil is a very needed job if that motor is gonna have any chance of surviving. A lot is being asked of this little box. Then you sit it next to the BPD oil cooler. Now the BPD set up is a actual radiator type set up. You have to use 2 hands to pick it up. Not to mention the filters. These are friggin MAN SIZE filters. There just bad azz. And you throw the bypass oil filter on and heck now you got 2 MAN SIZE OIL FILTERS! This is a diesel for pete sake. Not some little smart car thing. The oem filters on my wifes Mazda are almost the same size! And I could fit here car in the back of my f350!!!
The biggest thing about the bpd set up is I have never heard of a BPD set up failing. I live in a very small town and personally know of 5 oem set ups that have failed. Not to mention how many on here that I have read about. If you plan on having this truck for any time then Id say go with the BPD set up. If you live were it gets any kind of cold Id also suggest you look at the cold weather set up. If your towing a lot or running a low geared dually Id say tell them what you have and go for the bigger set up. (with the low gears running down the highway your rpms are higher and your flowing more oil through the cooler. They have a larger cooler for these set up's) I believe at 2400 rpm that your pumping 18 gallons of oil a minute through the cooler. I may be off on that number....
In case you haven't figured it out Im a major fan of BPD. These guys are awesome to have on your team. In the 6.0 world you will not find better aftermarket equipment. These guys own the top spot. Spendy? Ya Worth it? You bet.

Last edited by kinnisoj; 04-11-2014 at 06:17 AM. Reason: woops
The Following User Says Thank You to kinnisoj For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 08:26 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnersdieseltech View Post
2004.25 and up, I would also do the branch tube adapter upgrade (eliminate STC fitting).
If I am not mistaken, the STC fitting was not used until the new style HPOP was introduced on the 2005 model.

For reference, I have attached a link to a pdf file of the three different HPO systems.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/att...system-6.0.pdf

Last edited by NYC F-350; 04-12-2014 at 12:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to NYC F-350 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 09:02 AM

I could probably get you an exact serial number split, but you either have one or don't.
The Following User Says Thank You to winnersdieseltech For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 09:23 AM
Premium Member

It's a 2003 so I'm assuming it doesn't correct?

Old 04-11-2014, 09:25 AM
information regurgitator

no, it does not
The Following User Says Thank You to NYC F-350 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
No stc in the 03

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

Right now my deltas at fine but I'm leaking a bit of oil (not sure from where) guys at outlaw diesel said its just the gaskets to keep an eye on it. and so whenever I get around to that I mind as well get everything done .I also want a sinister diesel oil filter. Not sure what else I would need. Outlaw Diesel says they will do it all for 4200.00 2 year warranty including head studs.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have replaced several oil cooler with OEM and EGR coolers with BPD in the last couple years. BPD makes great coolers. I need to do an oil cooler on my Excursion and would love to put the heavy duty BPD oil cooler on but money is too tight right now. As for an EGR cooler. If your not going to delete it, us a BPD unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.